Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We are going on the WIT Maritime Provinces caravan this summer ... a CB is required

I bought an inexpensive CB today ...

Our rig has an antenna on the roof ...

Before I install it are there any hints ...

Thanks in advance
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are going on the WIT Maritime Provinces caravan this summer ... a CB is required

I bought an inexpensive CB today ...

Our rig has an antenna on the roof ...

Before I install it are there any hints ...

Thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Slap it in and tune it up (the antenna, or course)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My rig had ant and batt&gnd wires coiled under dash just a matter of hooking up. Just place in a possision where its easy to use. ENJOY TRIP been there many times. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here is where we mounted ours

CB

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

James thanks for the picture ... it looks like a great place ... I shall copy it ...

John ... you said "tune the antenna" ... what does that mean? I am a complete newbie when it comes to CB's ... the only thing I know is you push to talk ... otherwise you are listening ...
Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
James thanks for the picture ... it looks like a great place ... I shall copy it ...

John ... you said "tune the antenna" ... what does that mean? I am a complete newbie when it comes to CB's ... the only thing I know is you push to talk ... otherwise you are listening ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The antenna has to be adjusted to match the radio's circutry. Right now the antenna should be close but until you check the SWR values whether using the built in SWR meter on the radio if it has one or an external SWR meter and make sure it is adjusted or tuned to match the radio then you take a chance on burning out the transmitter in the radio.

If your new radio has a built in SWR meter then the instructions on the radio side will be in there. The factory antenna on the Winnebago may have two rings that will need to be adjusted up or down to get things tuned properly otherwise look for a set screw to adjust the height of the stainless steel whip. If it is fiberglass there may be a tuning box under the dash otherwise the antenna is left long and you need to trim off small sections of the tip after removing the rubber cap in order to get it tuned.

Regards,

Neil
Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The information you were given here is correct. However, you may not understand. Therefore, a SWR meter is used to determine the lowest possible reading when the radio is used to transmit. Think of it as resistance in a circuit. To do the readings, move the coach away from a building. A SWR meter is put in series on the coax to the antenna. The channel selecter is set at channel 1 press the transmit briefly and a reading is taken then at channel 40. The antenna is lengthened or shortened as described to achieve the lowest reading possible at both ends of the channels.

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hey SkiGramp,

I carry an SWR meter with me. We'll see you at St. Andrews, NB when the caravan starts. We can check it out there if you haven't had it done before.

See ya there!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

While I have had ham antennas that have needed actual trimming or cutting of the antenna, that is not usually the case with CB antennas.

A stand-alone SWR meter is the ideal method of tuning the antenna, second best would be to use the radio's built-in SWR meter. (There are other much better methods of tuning an antenna, but that involves much more expensive test equipment.)

I seriously doubt if the antenna will be a close match (or tuned) right out of the package - that would be an amazing and unusual situation. Plan on tuning it or suffer poor performance.

When you mount the antenna, position it so that it is in the clear (nothing within about five or six feet) around it at the same level of the whip. In other words do not mount it on the bumper of a car with the whip a few inches away from the body of the car - this will de-tune the antenna and radically alter the antenna performance for the worst.

If you have the "famous rusting Winnie CB antenna" , one ring is for tuning, the other ring is to lock the first one (thanks to Tom I think for pointing this out to me several months ago.)

If you need to purchase an antenna, be sure to buy one that is designed for fibreglass mounting - it will have special "matching components" that will "imitate" the mass of metal (aka counterpoise.)

Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

How much power can you use on the existing antenna?

Thanks,

ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

From an earlier post I made on this topic....

Saw this when I was searching for something else in my manuals....

Antenna SWR Adjustment-
To adjust- Check SWR on CH1 and CH40.
IF CH1 is HIGHER than CH40,turn tuning ring CLOCKWISE.
IF CH40 is higher than CH1,turn ring COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.
USUALLY 1/4 to 1/2 turn is enough
REPEAT until CH1 and CH40 are the same.
DO NOT TRIM WHIP!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The antenna will carry the legal 5 watts output power from a CB. Amplifiers are illegal.

Ken
Old 05-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I hope he has better luck tuning the antenna than I have over the last two years. I try to adjust the two chrome rings on the Winny installed antenna all the way from top of threads down to the bottom threads and the meter always reads almost pegged as high as it can go (something like 8 or 9:1). I'd be tickeled to death if I could just get it down to 3:1 and even that is too high, but haven't been able to use my CB since the coach was new 2 years ago. Maybe if someone can suggest help for me it will also help skigramp.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
I hope he has better luck tuning the antenna than I have over the last two years. I try to adjust the two chrome rings on the Winny installed antenna all the way from top of threads down to the bottom threads and the meter always reads almost pegged as high as it can go (something like 8 or 9:1). I'd be tickeled to death if I could just get it down to 3:1 and even that is too high, but haven't been able to use my CB since the coach was new 2 years ago. Maybe if someone can suggest help for me it will also help skigramp.
Wagonmaster2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried a different CB or tried that CB with a different antenna or in a different vehicle? The antenna, downlead or CB could be defective. The first two would have been covered under the warrenty of the new coach while the CB should have it's own warrenty.

Regards,

Neil
Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a ground problem?

Maybe one little strand of the shield not where it's supposed to be.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

After being stranded and out of cell range, I have ordered a Cobra 29WXNWST for my winnie. My dealer recommended it and since my unit came with a CB antenna and wiring, the install is only 1 hour. Any comments?
Thanks,
Dick
Old 05-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Godfather:
After being stranded and out of cell range, I have ordered a Cobra 29WXNWST for my winnie. My dealer recommended it and since my unit came with a CB antenna and wiring, the install is only 1 hour. Any comments?
Thanks,
Dick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dick - sounds about right to me. If everything goes real well and Murphy stays away, I think the install could be done in less time.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Just installed the small Cobra 75 (handheld) but when my friend (with a swr meter) went to tune the antenna we found the antenna rusted on the inside of the spring and so we could not get it tuned.

I was wondering can I get just the antenna part? Or am I looking at replacing the mount and cable also?

Any recommendations for a replacement antenna?

Thanks,

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2006 Adventurer 38T. The manual says that the prewired CB package is installed and in a plastic wrap just under the dash just left of the steering wheel. ( It even shows a picture of it ) I looked and had several others look to verify but no bag with wires. Could someone tell what I am looking for as far as connections are concerned?

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote