Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm replacing the Freightliner initial flooded 3-battery house bank on my 2005 Meridian. I much prefer AGM or gelled batteries. Since we don't do much boondocking, excessive amp hours is not that important. I'd like to find a good quality bank that is relatively maintenance free and dependable. I'm thinking about the Trojan 27 group. I would appreciate anyones suggestions and/or recommendations. Thanks.
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm replacing the Freightliner initial flooded 3-battery house bank on my 2005 Meridian. I much prefer AGM or gelled batteries. Since we don't do much boondocking, excessive amp hours is not that important. I'd like to find a good quality bank that is relatively maintenance free and dependable. I'm thinking about the Trojan 27 group. I would appreciate anyones suggestions and/or recommendations. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

When I replace the House batteries on my Meridian down the road, I will switch to running 6 volt instead. I do some dry camping at national and state parks, and you can't beat them for their ability to deep cycle. However, if you want to go AGM, check Sams Club. They had a great price on them compared to the auto parts places that I looked at.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you want "real" maintenance free batteries, then you must buy a SEALED battery. Only gels or AGM meet this criteria.

I don't think there is such a thing as "relatively maintenance free" battery. It is a binary situation: Gels/AGM never need any maintenance, flooded cell batteries do. Some flooded cell batteries look like they are sealed, but they are not and need to have their water checked like their cousins with obvious filler caps.

As I have said many times before, I'm a big fan of Lifeline AGM batteries for the house.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks John. But what brand are you recommending? I am looking at AGM and gelled batteries but don't know which have a good reputation?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is a link to an AGM discussion from January in the Winnebago Owners Forum....

John used Lifeline AGM's as he mentions in the referenced discussion.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much Rebelsbeach. That link was very helpful. I'm looking into Lifeline next week.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

BradandJaneen,

Lifeline is a brand name of AGM batteries and an excellent brand. I use them myself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'd like to find a good quality bank that is relatively maintenance free and dependable. I'm thinking about the Trojan 27 group. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "27 group" refers to the battery case size, not whether it is maintenance free or not. Most Trojans are flooded (wet) cell batteries and not maintenance free, but Trojan does now make an AGM model as well. There is a Trojan 27-AGM that is a fine battery and will replace any existing non-AGM Group 27 battery.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I am having to replace my Trojan 30XHS batteries next week. The CAT dealer tells me they cost $190 each (x 3). The coach is only 27 mos old. What are the comparative costs for these house batteries or their equivalents elsewhere.
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I've been doing similar research as I ponder replacing my three Interstate 29GM deep cycles.

In my area:
AGM's:

Lifelines are $197 each
Johnson Control (Optima) $239 each at local battery distributor.

My local Sams does not have Optima in stock so could not check the price.

Flooded cell:

Sams 6V golf car batteries...$62 each.
Johnson Control Energizer Grp 29 at Sam's..$65 each.
Interstate 29GM $79.95.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Before I got into motorhomes, I always used Trojan batteries in my boats and was never disappointed. This past March Practical Sailor evaluated the top ten gel and AMG batteries and the Trojan AMG smoked the competition. So I stayed with them; bought three size 31 AMG from www.eBatteriesToGo.com. Shipping is free. They were delivered to my house, fully charged and ready to go, in three days.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE on Battery Replacement
I called Winnebago and they tell me they don't use Trojan's anymore, now use NAPA brand. Group 29 instead of 30 for the house batteries. Trojan said they only warrant their OEM batteries for 12 months. When you buy a new one from them, they give you 1-yr @ 100%, and the next 2-years are pro-rated warranty.
After research, decided AGMs are too expensive (for me, not John) and didn't want to keep checking battery acid, so went with GEL maintenance free. CAT dealer quoted about $87 each for Group 31 CAT-brand gels. Thought it was worth the try and will partially offset the difference for the other work they're doing. (Trojan replacements are about $195 ea.)
They are a bit bigger, but the three should fit without problem in the tray. And won't have to check water in rear battery anymore.
Gene
Gene
Old 07-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Gene, I sent you a private message. Tell me more about these CAT gel batteries.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well, I replaced the Trojans with the CAT Group 31s. $87.50 each for Gel No Maintenance batteries with 36 mo full replacement warranty and then prorated for next two years. They look good, but have only had them a week, so no experience with them yet. CAT dealer did charge me $100 or so for R/R and discard. Still much cheaper than the original Trojan replacements.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry I guess I am little confused, are these your chassis batteries or coach batteries?
If the coach I have heard some intersting things about agms or gels in that they do not particularly like high voltage charging. With my 55 amp converter it kicks up to 14.1 and then settles to float at 13.65 which as I understand it the 14.1 is a killer to the agms and gels. I could be wrong though as this is hearsay...;-)
Old 10-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Well, in my case they were the "coach" batteries, not the ones that fire up the engine.