Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help..Res. Fridge.

I own a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38T, I replaced Norcold with a 4 door residential refrigerator/freezer (110 volt only). My problem now is I want to run fridge off the inverter when not using genset/shore power. My inverter is currently (factory) powering the rear bedroom and living room tvs. I would like to remove inverter power from tvs and then supply 110 volts to just my refrigerator.
I have wiring schematic, but I don't understand how to go about it!!

Here is a link to the diagram...
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_162963.pdf

Thanks in advance!
The Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Team

I would say you need to hire an RV Tech that knows electrical work. Simple as that.

Lots of ancillary questions that you need to have answered.

1. What's the size of the inverter?
2. Is it MSW or PSW?
3. What size is the house battery bank in your 38Q?
4. How about adding a decent amount of solar power to the roof?

I have an Adventurer 37F (2017). I too have a residential fridge. But my RV came outfitted with it from the factory and also had a 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave inverter, wired to the Fridge and other electrical outlets. Plus it came with 100 watts of rooftop solar (and I added another 200 watts of panels up there, as well). It's also came with 400 amps of AGM house batteries.

We love our Residential fridge - but as you can see we're completely setup for it. Since your rig didn't come with it, you may need more than a simple rewire job to get everything up to snuff to run your fridge for even overnight when not on shore power or generator.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not sure how you electrical panels are configured. The Winn configuration on my coach is a 30 amp breaker feeding my Dimensions MSW inverter. There is a transfer switch in most RV inverters so the 30 amp feeds an Inverter panel where you should find the inverter circuits for your TV,etc. You effectively have 2 panels - the main one and a 30? Amp feed to the second panel for the inverter circuits.
Once you find the inverter panel - mine is beside the main breaker box, you can add a new circuit for the Res Fridge if there are spare slots for an additional breaker. You should make sure that your old fridge wasnt on the inverter already. My Norcold 1200 was connected to my inverter so I just used the outlet for the Samsung fridge.
If you can install an outlet and connect the wiring, it should not be too big a job to wire a new outlet. The tough part is routing and installing the cable run so if you can use an existing inverter outlet, your task will be simplified.
Good luck, you will ask yourself why you didnt install the res fridge years ago!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #4

On 120 volts what is your fridge’s amp draw?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge