Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Help newbie at generators

Purchased last late summer a Honda E2000i Inverter Generator and a E2000i Companion. They have never been used other than a fire up test before we left the store. Also have the parallel cables and 30A RV adapter to convert a NEMA L5-30 to an RV receptacle to power your RV. What's NEMA L5-30 ??? Reading through the manual now and my limited electrical mind gets bogged down.
I have a 21' Winnebago Micro Minnie TT with 30 amp service. Don't expect to use the EUs much. Some boondocking maybe. However, living in FL it never hurts to have BU power and hopefully a TT left if we get a Hurricane hit.
Anyway, can anyone who has used these just give some advice on how to set up, operate, do's and don'ts? If they are in parallel can i just shut one down or do they need to be unparalleled.
Looks like it would be wise to run in parallel if running the fridge and AC at the same time. If so it looks like there will still be some running watts for other devices; TV, lights, microwave?
Main concern is to not damage anything using these EUs. Thanks PAT
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi, you start both generators and then plug in one end of the parallel cable in one gen and then the other end in the other gen. They will automatically sync up when you do. To shut down just do the opposite. Take the parallel cord out of one then remove it from the other. Then shut the generators off. You can’t really hurt them.

You need the L5-30 to RV adapter in the Companion model. That allows you to plug in your RV 30-amp cord directly into the generator.

The regular EU2200i has two standard 110 - 20-amp recepticals. The Companion model has one standard 110 20-amp receptical and one locking 30-amp L5-30 receptical. Your RV has a different kind of 30-amp plug so you need the adapter to use your RV plug wit the the Honda EU2200i Companion.

You could also use a “110 to 30-amp RV” adapter which would let you plug your RV into either generator, but you’d only have 20-amp service.

When we had 2-Honda generators we had both kinds of adapters.

So, I would start either generator if we didn’t need a lot of power (watts), such as making lunch and using only a few electric appliances, using the appropriate adapter. But if we needed AC and the microwave both - lots of wattage - then we’d start both generators, attach the parallel cable to them and plug the RV into the 30-amp Companion generator using the L5-30 adapter.

You have all you really need. Just use either the Companion by itself, with the L5-30 adapter if you don’t need a lot of power, such as just running the microwave and not much else or pair the Companion with the standard generator if you need AC and other appliances.

One generator will provide up to 2200 watts of power and when paired with another generator you have up to 4400 watts of power available. Actually it’s more like 2000 and 4000 in actual usage. 2200 watts is a max short burst number.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Creactive. Straight forward and simple
Old 05-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC View Post
Thanks Creactive. Straight forward and simple
X2..........a help to many!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Purchased last late summer a Honda E2000i Inverter Generator and a E2000i Companion. They have never been used other than a fire up test before we left the store. Also have the parallel cables and 30A RV adapter to convert a NEMA L5-30 to an RV receptacle to power your RV. What's NEMA L5-30 ??? Reading through the manual now and my limited electrical mind gets bogged down.
I have a 21' Winnebago Micro Minnie TT with 30 amp service. Don't expect to use the EUs much. Some boondocking maybe. However, living in FL it never hurts to have BU power and hopefully a TT left if we get a Hurricane hit.
Anyway, can anyone who has used these just give some advice on how to set up, operate, do's and don'ts? If they are in parallel can i just shut one down or do they need to be unparalleled.
Looks like it would be wise to run in parallel if running the fridge and AC at the same time. If so it looks like there will still be some running watts for other devices; TV, lights, microwave?
Main concern is to not damage anything using these EUs. Thanks PAT
Make sure to plug the parallel cables in BEFORE you start the second generator. When all else fails, read the manual, it contains a wealth of info.
KD4JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

has the recall on the Honda 2200 come to some sort of completion? My dealer still won't sell any of them, matter of fact he has non in the store
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

As an aside...many of these Honda generators have been recalled for a possible safety issue. You can check the American Honda web site or the most recent Consumer Reports. I've been on the market for the Honda iu2200i and they've all been removed from retail outlets.
Hamptongar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale1 View Post
has the recall on the Honda 2200 come to some sort of completion? My dealer still won't sell any of them, matter of fact he has non in the store
That should really help the sales of Champion Inv/gens. They have been getting great reviews from those that chose them over Honda.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Okay, got them both hooked together and ran them last night to deliver AC to the TT which was being used for overflow of family visitors. 1st issue' they only run for about 4 hrs max when eco throttle is off. 2nd with eco throttle on it will run the AC fan but not power up the compressor. So, wondering how others get more hours out of their units.
Using non ethanol gas not that should matter. As it is now warming up quickly here in SW Florida these are important for sleeping comfortable which all fell apart about 3:30am this morning
Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Why not plug the TT into the house instead of running the genset. I have extended run gas caps and an aux tank. They will run for a long time on the aux 6 gal tank. Google it, there are tons of examples.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
PIC
Winnebago Owner

KD4JAZ, Didn't think of that. Great Idea Extended run caps. The things you learn on the forums! Intended to install a 30 amp receptacle. Looking for a quick install I had 2 electricians come out and quote. $750 & $475 to which I said.... you really don't want to know what I said. Anyway it's on my To Do List. Sure I can do it for $125 +/-. Anyway, after having the gens shut down in the middle of the night really renders them useless. 1st mistake was running at full power. Then tested at Eco Throttle which extended the time but not sure I would have gotten 8 hrs out of it. So, like with our former boat, open wallet spend more $$ and get it set up right. It's for the best as these are for the RV as much as for our Strom Prep locker. Having lost power for 10 days during "Sandy" don't want to go through that again! Then we had 3' of snow to pack our food but doubt we'd be that lucky down here in SW Florida. Thanks for the advice PAT
Old 05-14-2019, 04:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Google the “extended run” examples you will find a lot of good suggestions. I use a 6 gallon boat tank with a “T” to feed both units. I also run a 2 stroke oil mixture of about 200:1, this leaves a very slight oil film on the cylinder walls to protect from rust when not being used. Orlando is very humid! Just my .02
Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
PIC
Winnebago Owner

KD4JAZ Question about storage. As I may have said the gens shut down on their own. Apparently as they get close to empty they'll do this to reduce risk of damage. So, if I'm going to store these for about 4 months I wonder if I should pour the good gas out for disposal or just leave it in there. It is non-ethanol 87 Octane. The odd thing is that if they have shut down on their own for low fuel reasons then why can I see what looks like fuel at the bottom of the fill neck???? Know it's a small tank but if it's that low can't figure out why I can still see the gas PAT
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
KD4JAZ Question about storage. As I may have said the gens shut down on their own. Apparently as they get close to empty they'll do this to reduce risk of damage. So, if I'm going to store these for about 4 months I wonder if I should pour the good gas out for disposal or just leave it in there. It is non-ethanol 87 Octane. The odd thing is that if they have shut down on their own for low fuel reasons then why can I see what looks like fuel at the bottom of the fill neck???? Know it's a small tank but if it's that low can't figure out why I can still see the gas PAT
I have ran a number of different motors on very old gas. 3 years on a stored Honda and the gas ran fine. Unless the stuff varnished over, I never worry about it
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

As long as u r using non-ethanol u won’t get “phase-separation” I always use sta-bil in all my gas for small engines that I have gas for. Also make sure the tank is full before putting away (less airspace for condensation).
Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I also add either Techron or Sea foam in the gas. It helps keep the carb jets clean.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

If they are shutting down before they run out of gas it sounds like the vent is not open on the gas cap.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
PIC
Winnebago Owner

That's possible KD4JAZ. I know I checked them but I son was working on them too. Will be sure when I refuel and fired them up later

Tags
generator, newbie