Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'd like to install my new Sirius antenna on my 2005 Meridian 36. Since I don't like drilling holes in the roof, I thought I'd go through an existing hole: air horns, CB antenna, awning wind sensor, or Winegard dish. They all seem somewhat difficult from the inside. Which is the easiest access with the least headliner removal? Has anyone done this? Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks, Brad
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'd like to install my new Sirius antenna on my 2005 Meridian 36. Since I don't like drilling holes in the roof, I thought I'd go through an existing hole: air horns, CB antenna, awning wind sensor, or Winegard dish. They all seem somewhat difficult from the inside. Which is the easiest access with the least headliner removal? Has anyone done this? Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks, Brad
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

B&J ...

I have a 2004 Journey ... and XM receiver ...

I found that my antenna picked up the signal just fine under the fiberglass roof so I installed my antenna as follows.

I removed the headliner in the top of the cabinet above the driver (two or three screws) ... there is a square metal beam that supports the roof and the front TV ... I fastened the antenna to the top of that metal beam ... I drilled a hole in the cabinet so that I could get the wire behind the left window post covering ... and behind the dash ...

My antenna works just fine except when I am going NNW there is one little direction where it cuts out (I think it must be in the shadow of the air horn) ... when that happens ... I sing ...

The point of this is that you may be able to install your antenna without putting it on top of your roof.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks SkiGramp that is helpful. If I do decide to mount it on the square metal beam I will try to move it more midline, away from the shadow of the air horn. I've removed the headliner in the cabinet also. Unfortunately it is not far enough aft to see the CB antenna hole. I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the headliner that covers the CB antenna. Since I'm doing it, I really would rather get the Sirius antenna outside the coach and on top of the roof. That would eliminate the cut out you mentioned when travelling NNW. Since I live in Florida, everything is NNW for me. lol.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

brad ...

I was in a Winnebago dealership recently and I noticed that they had removed the hardwood slat that goes across the coach just aft of the speakers ... (pop out the little knobs and there is a phillips screw under there ... that is how they removed the headliner inside of the coach ...

I don't know if that helps you or not ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yep. I pulled the wood strip down from the ceiling to access the roof area to install a CB antennna.

Personally I'd drill the hole for the antenna and make sure it's properly sealed. Not sure how you're going to run a wire down the existing CB antenna hole if that antenna stays on the roof. That in itself may generate a leak as the antenna will no longer adequately seal the hole.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had the radio shop install the XM antenna. They ran the lead up the side panel, behind the front TV, and out one of the marker lights on the front cap. You don't see the thin black wire running about a foot up to the paste mounted antenna. Body paint is gray. Works very well for me.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a radio shop install mine. They went in to the space above the TV set (We have a 2004 Brave) and attached it to the inside of the fiberglass roof. We left a few days after the install for a 9300 mile trip and never once had it cut out except when we went through a couple of long tunnels.

If you do an inside mount you will never have to worry about a leaky roof.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Brad,
Do you not already have the Sirius antennae on your Meridian? If so you should be able use that cable/antennae. It goes into the Sirius Box under the left front corner of the dash. Just pull it off the box and attach it to your receiver. I did that with my XM radio using the Sirius cable/antennae and works great. The Sirius Box is part of the combination radio installed in my Itasca.
If you do not have this install then ignore my suggestion.
Frank O.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I bought a steel pizza pan and set it on top of the headliner above the storage compartment where the satellite receivers are located. The antenna sits on this and the cable is routed down through the center windshield channel and across the dash into the dashboard cover and out through a crack by the backup monitor. Works fine. Terry Smay

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote