Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 2006 sightseer head lights has dual lamps in each head light, one for high beam and one for low. When I switch on the high beams the low beam lamp goes off. My question is are they working properly? I would think when the highs are turned on the low lamp would remain on. My Sightseer has poor lighting could this be the reason for it?
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 2006 sightseer head lights has dual lamps in each head light, one for high beam and one for low. When I switch on the high beams the low beam lamp goes off. My question is are they working properly? I would think when the highs are turned on the low lamp would remain on. My Sightseer has poor lighting could this be the reason for it?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your headlamps are working properly. They likely need to be aimed. My low beams were terrible, and after a dealer told me they were aimed properly I took the rig to a truck service place and they found they were aimed way off to the side and high. Having them properly aimed helped some. But even properly aimed, most motorhome headlights are not great. I don't understand why that should be the case, but know it is a common complaint.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #4

On a recent similar thread, someone said it was due to sitting up so much higher in a MH but I feel that there are alot of buses and trucks out there, making a living and driving at night... hard for me to believe that they have the same night vision as we do in a MH.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have the same problem with headlights. I have had them aimed, it did not help. I drive very little during dark hours because of this. I am forced to use both high and low beams at the same time in order to be even marginally safe. About the only dark hours I drive any more is when leaving early in the morning. There must be a decent answer to this common complaint.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I try to avoid driving @ night but when it is necessary I usually use low beams and fog lights on. Works for me, you may want to give it a try.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What I do not understand is why the low beams go off when the highs are turned on. If both lamps stayed on when you switch on the highs it would solve the problem of poor lighting.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Cappy, we too have an 06 Sightseer. I just check the head lamps a few minutes ago after reading this thread. There are indeed 2 lamps each side. I believe the inner lamps are the daylight driving lamps and the outer lamps are the actual head lights. When the head lights are turned on, the day light driving lamps do turn off. My dash board indicator shows that too. I did have to adjust the aim of the head lights. They were originally aimed too high and not towards the same point. They might not be crossing beams. I adjusted them so that the beams meet about 120 to 140 feet ahead sightly to the right at low beam. Works well for me after the adjustments. I used one of those star shaped screw drivers.

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On my coach, the outside bulbs are the low beams AND (I am pretty sure) the DRLs. On DRL setting I presume they simply operate on lower power so are not quite as bright. The inner bulbs are the high beams. My high beams work great ...no complaints at all, except from anyone I am meeting!! My low beams only are the ones I wish were better.

Speaking of DRLs, does anyone know how to find the DRL module (and what it looks like)? Mine sometimes does not work unless I turn the headlights on and then back off.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

My DRL's also run on lower power, but when I turn the light switch on they go to full power. However this is not sufficient for safe driving after dark. So if I am on four lane divided highway, I drive with the high beams on. Even then I have never had any one flash me. The equation is, some one's temporary discomfort or general safety. I do try to avoid night time driving when ever possible.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

CAPPY: My low beams (outside pair), stay on when brights are engaged, (inside pair). I checked my friends Adventurer and it does the same. I would think yours should do the same. He also says he can't drive with the just the low beams on.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

MY sightseer is on the Ford chassis, I called Ford and they said to call Winnebago. When I called Winnebago they did not have an answer for me but they will reasearch it and get back to me. I don'nt think I have DRL.