Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

HDMI WIring in a 34H

Hopefully someone has already done this to save me possible grief.. I'm in the process of running an HDMI cable from the bedroom TV, to the upper left cabinet above the driver in front. I have the cable wired from the rear TV and its currently underneath the fridge. I have two possible paths from here I can take:
- Across the floor frame in the storage bays and somehow pop out up front. Or,
- Go all the way down to the vehicle frame and attempt to make my way through all the chassis cabling.

Neither route looks like any fun but I prefer the storage bay route unless there are good reasons not to. Anyone done this?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Jeff, yes I did. I routed it exactly the path you are recommending. Under the refrigerator, to down into the compartments. Run along inside the passenger side compartment inside frame, to into the front area where the generator is. You can find a path up under the dash there, and up the side A-piller, into the left front compartment.

Works like a champ, but I used all 50' of that HDMI cable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I would have suggested wireless HDMI, but since you've started, keep on stringin'!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

How far can you run HDMI cable?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How far can you run HDMI cable?
HDMI cable is often said to be limited to 15' but they sell 50' cables. A lot has to do with the quality of the cable and connections. At 45' or so, it has probably degraded to 480p or 720p. To get 1080i over much distance is very difficult because the bit rate increases tremendously from 480p to 720p or 1080i, then 1080p uses twice that! They do sell amplifiers to enhance the signal over distance, but it also gives another place that the signal might be degraded.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
HDMI cable is often said to be limited to 15' but they sell 50' cables. A lot has to do with the quality of the cable and connections. At 45' or so, it has probably degraded to 480p or 720p. To get 1080i over much distance is very difficult because the bit rate increases tremendously from 480p to 720p or 1080i, then 1080p uses twice that! They do sell amplifiers to enhance the signal over distance, but it also gives another place that the signal might be degraded.
i looked at the pix very closely: 3' vs. 50', and cannot see the difference. As far as degrading, resolution is a bitstream. Where 480 pr 720 might work, 1080i or P may not. What you WILL see is the picture freezing at the higher resolutions where there is not enough of the bitstream recovered to produce a consistent picture.. That, surprisingly enough was not the case here.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I would have suggested wireless HDMI, but since you've started, keep on stringin'!
Dont wanna do RF since we dry camp 100% of the time, and I don't want to add any phantom loads. Besides, there is nothing better than copper

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Jeff, yes I did. I routed it exactly the path you are recommending. Under the refrigerator, to down into the compartments. Run along inside the passenger side compartment inside frame, to into the front area where the generator is. You can find a path up under the dash there, and up the side A-piller, into the left front compartment. Works like a champ, but I used all 50' of that HDMI cable.
no kidding.. I measured the remaining cable and it looks like I'll use every foot of that sucker. I stopped for the day with the cable dressed and stopped in the front bay behind the door. Looks like I'll need to pop a hole to get it out? Did you go up on the driver or passenger side? Thanks for the info! I hate reinventing an already round wheel..

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Ran the HDMI cable up the driver's side A-pillar, finding an opening under the dash when routing up from the passenger side compartments.

I used a HDMI splitter 1x2 from Sewell Direct, which also has an amplifier in it, to boost the signal along the 50' of HDMI cable to the rear TV.

The HDMI splitter was mounted up front, source HDMI coming from the Sat box, with Output 1 running to front TV, and Output 2 running to back TV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Ran the HDMI cable up the driver's side A-pillar, finding an opening under the dash when routing up from the passenger side compartments. I used a HDMI splitter 1x2 from Sewell Direct, which also has an amplifier in it, to boost the signal along the 50' of HDMI cable to the rear TV. The HDMI splitter was mounted up front, source HDMI coming from the Sat box, with Output 1 running to front TV, and Output 2 running to back TV.
Mine looks similar to yours. I ran it through the 50' cable to the TV in the radio room for a week looking for dropouts for a week before running the cable. So whenever it's don't raining here I'll finish the run from the storage bay. It looks like I'll have 2-3' remaining if I'm lucky..

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 11-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

WHOLLY SMOKES!
That was the most fun I've had in at least 2 or 3 days. I thought getting to the pillar was going to be the fun part, but lacing through the top of the pillar took all the time trying to get the ferrite choke through that undersized hole. Made it with about 2.5' to spare.

Jeff - WA6EQU