Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Was toying with the idea of upgrading my coach to all HD TV (2 flat panel TV's, 2 receivers, DVR). I have Winegard Movin View MV3500A antenna, dual LNB's; and DirecTV.

Called DirecTV and Winegard w/following results: A new HD satellite was recently launched into orbit; Ku-Ka band, requiring NEW antenna & LNB equipment, which Winegard now sells (thru CW) as "TRAV'LER", about $1850 for an auto-stationary, un-domed antenna (avail Jan 08?).

Both DirecTV & Winegard said only a few (nine ?) HD channels could be received without the new antenna/LNB/software. So what are those folks doing who bought 07/08 rigs w/flat panel HD TVs, receiver(s) & DVR?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Was toying with the idea of upgrading my coach to all HD TV (2 flat panel TV's, 2 receivers, DVR). I have Winegard Movin View MV3500A antenna, dual LNB's; and DirecTV.

Called DirecTV and Winegard w/following results: A new HD satellite was recently launched into orbit; Ku-Ka band, requiring NEW antenna & LNB equipment, which Winegard now sells (thru CW) as "TRAV'LER", about $1850 for an auto-stationary, un-domed antenna (avail Jan 08?).

Both DirecTV & Winegard said only a few (nine ?) HD channels could be received without the new antenna/LNB/software. So what are those folks doing who bought 07/08 rigs w/flat panel HD TVs, receiver(s) & DVR?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thudman,
I do hope that is not true. I just had a Winegard In-Motion Satelite system installed. I have not had the HD televisions installed as yet but I do have an expectation that I will receive much more than 9 HD channels.

Direct TV advertises that they have 40 channels in HD and are going to be at 100 by year end. That was one of the reasons I selected Direct.

I have not had the service turned on as yet because I am waiting until I install the HD TVs.

If this is true, I am going to be a very unhappy customer of Direct TV and Camping World.

Thanks,

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My new Destionation has HD TV's and a King Dome satellite. I assume all I will need is a HD receiver? I have Dish network.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

For you winegard owners, winegard has a HD interface upgrade for your 3500's that allows
your current dome dish to pick up HD tv
Google winegard HD interface for more info.
gunawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I just had my house dish upgraded to the 5 LNB oblong shaped dish. They told me I had to have the 5 LNB to get all the HD channels.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
I just had my house dish upgraded to the 5 LNB oblong shaped dish. They told me I had to have the 5 LNB to get all the HD channels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,
What does a 5 LNB mean? I have seen the LNB several times and it is just not clicking. Thanks for enlightening me.

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

5 LNB

This Camping World link shows the 5 LNB equipment necessary to receive the full spectrum of HD channels. According to Winegard, older equipment (such as my MV3500A) cannot be modified/upgraded to rcv the new HD satellites. DirecTV said the same.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and shed some light on this disconcerting situation.

Thudman

Old 12-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Last June direcTv launched a new satellite. They are now 4 satellites in orbits and another one is scheduled to launch next summer. These new satellites are used mainly for high definition TV. Each LNB on the satellite dish is used to receive a single satellite. That is why everyone is talking about 5 LNB's. By next summer there will be 5 different satellites.

If you have a 3 LNB dish you can receive about 9 HD channels. All the rest of the HD channels are on the new satellite. Also this new satellite uses a new compression algorithm for the TV signal. This new compression is called MPEG 4 and is more efficient than the previously used MPEG 2. The original 9 channels are MPEG 2. All the new channels are MPEG 4. If you want to receive the new channels you will need both a new dish and a new receiver (capable of MPEG 4). If you don't want to do this you can use a 3 lnb dish and an MPEG 2 receiver.

I would not recommend this approach. At some point DirecTV is going to shut off the MPEG 2 HD channels and convert them to MPEG 4. Why invest money in a 3 LNB dish and MPEG 2 receiver.

DirecTV has about 85 High Definition channels at the moment. Many of these carry the same programming as their standard definition counter part. But some like Home and Garden High Definition carry different programs.

Personally I think Camping World is asking a lot of money for the new dish. It ought to be well under $1000. As for the receiver, I would go to Best Buy. Much cheaper than Camping World.

I hope this helps sort out some of the confusion.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Pete B

Thanks VERY much for your excellent overview on the HD systems. You answered several questions I had and it appears that I will put off upgrading the TVs and dish system for a while (I still have the hand crank Wingard dish) and stay low def until this get sorted out.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
5 LNB

This Camping World link shows the 5 LNB equipment necessary to receive the full spectrum of HD channels. According to Winegard, older equipment (such as my MV3500A) cannot be modified/upgraded to rcv the new HD satellites. DirecTV said the same.

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That 5 LNB Slimline dish in the CW link is something I would want to see some other people try out for a while.

I have installed a Slimline here at home and the narrow fine tuning tolerance required on the new 99 and 103 satellites if very challenging. I would think wind would be a definite factor. The RV would have to be precisely leveled as this is a first key in setting up the slimline because you are dealing with three axis.

Anyway, be interesting to see some actual user experience.

Agree the price is pretty steep for what they are packaging but they must have a good lock on and fine tuning system. It takes an experienced person about 30 minutes to set one up on firm ground. Some others of us, an hour or more!!!!

One other non-antenna related factor. The location of the receiver and the HD TV is important, as you must have a Component or HDMI cable between the two for HDD. The standard RG line in most of our current RVs will not get you HD to the TV. My is far apart now so I need to overcome that before getting full HD capable.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #12
adj
Winnebago Camper

One other non-antenna related factor. The location of the receiver and the HD TV is important, as you must have a Component or HDMI cable between the two for HDD. The standard RG line in most of our current RVs will not get you HD to the TV. My is far apart now so I need to overcome that before getting full HD capable.[/QUOTE]

If this is true, how come I am presently receiving local HD signals from my batwing?

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

adj, you are receiving them off air to an HD receiver. If you go with satellite, the satellite reciever receives the signal and puts out a high definition video and stereo audio to a monitor or TV component video and stereo in, bypassing the tuner. The video and audio can also be connected from the satellite receiver to the monitor or TV using an HDMI cable.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

From what I have seen and read on this site for me its not worth the aggravation and expense just to get a better quality picture. I get a good picture with regular direct tv and the normal old fashion tv's.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
From what I have seen and read on this site for me its not worth the aggravation and expense just to get a better quality picture. I get a good picture with regular direct tv and the normal old fashion tv's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN to that!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I second the "Amen". TV is not what I bought a M/H for, quite the opposite.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Dan,

The LNBs are the round disks on the end of the arm of the satellite dish. The one with 5 actually looks like three but one of them is a different shape and a little bit bigger. Also, the dish is a little bigger and oval shaped.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

We are subscribed to the Dish Network. Last August we were camped at 1000 Islands. We were recieving Sat 119 one day & the next we were switched to Sat 129 which was never there before. Only four channels could be recieved (2 in English). Got back to NJ & Sat 119 was available again. Apparently Dish is automaticly switching Satelites to not give local channels when away from home base. I'm assuming 129 is a HD Satelite. Reciever & (auto)Winegard are 03 vintage. I have spent a lot of time w/support from Dish, no one seems to be able to give me an answer other than I am not supposed to be able to recieve local channels away from home. Meanwhile program Channels we are paying for are not there. From what I am reading on this Forum, I need to upgade.
NJWIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

NJWIT,
Dish and Direct TV both broadcast local channels
on a "spot beam" which can only be received approx 150 miles from home. There are some exceptions i.e. Chicago locals are on a national
national satellite broadcast.
gunawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

NJWIT - I have DirecTV. I am from Connecticut. When I get to about the 1000 island area, my locals also are not available. DirecTV uses a spot beam to carry the locals. That beam is only good for about a 300 - 400 mile radius. After that you lose the signal. I suspect that is what is happening to your dish locals. But you still should have been able to receive all of your other channels.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote