Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Lifeline AGM says to charge at 30-300 percent initial charge rate

GEL CELLS charge at 20-25% tops

Most batteries charge at 30 percent

Frankly.. Unless access for maintenance is an issue I can not see spending the extra cost for AGM when flooded wet cell type are what, about a third the cost

Maintenance free, like AGM are VRLA but may produce more gas than an AGM (I don't know but have seen no evidence to suggest they do.. But they might)

And are not much different price wise than flooded wet

AGM's do have their place.. I don't think my RV will continue to be one of them (I have two now they are the newest batteries in my coach and the only ones needing replacement (not counting flashlight batteries)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Yes, Advance Auto. Paid $78.00 today.
Why do people try to buy everything from Walmart thats usually the last place I would try.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Wall Mart is the 800 pound gorilla in the room and thus often has the lowest prices of any brick & Mortar place

Myself.. I would rather not shop wall mart.... but low prices trump ethics I fear.

So some days.. it's the only place I can afford.

That said.. Batteries: Wall Mart only carries top movers (one of the ways of keeping cost down is to make sure it moves out the door quickly) and thus is not likely to have what I need. Other stores.. Far more likely to have what I need.

Though GC-2 size is very popular.. IT's not popular with Wall-Mart shoppers (Sam's shoppers are much more likely to buy 'em... by the pallet load)
Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Installed the 8D Gel today

I installed the battery today. I ran the generator and the Dimensions charger quickly moved from bulk charge to acceptance charge and was at 14.1 volts 20 amps when I turned it off and put the coach away. So........I did not let it charge long enough to go into float mode. Is that a problem or will it just pick up where it left off next time I plug in our run the generator? Do the house batteries get charged from the alternator also?