Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Glow plugs

We are enjoying the 2001 Journey we purchased in June 2014. I have a question about glow plugs. When I start up, it takes about 15 seconds for the starter to engage. Before that, I can turn the key all I want and nothing will happen. Is this correct. Am I in too big of a hurry to start the engine?
Thanks in advance for your replies. Someday I won't be a newbie (I hope!)
kb9adw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
We are enjoying the 2001 Journey we purchased in June 2014. I have a question about glow plugs. When I start up, it takes about 15 seconds for the starter to engage. Before that, I can turn the key all I want and nothing will happen. Is this correct. Am I in too big of a hurry to start the engine?
Thanks in advance for your replies. Someday I won't be a newbie (I hope!)
I don't know if that is "normal" but I'm pretty sure a 2001 diesel does not have glow plugs.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

2001 Journey we purchased in June 2014. Need to read a little slower
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would think you should have a 'Wait To Start' light on your instrument cluster.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

what engine do you have? Cat or Cummins.

I think you have a "pre-heater" for the fuel/air intake. I have a [Wait to Start] light on my dash that comes on while the pre-heater raises the temperature. In normal temperatures when the light goes off, I turn the ignition key to start.

In cold weather I turn the key to off when the light goes out, then back on ... when the light goes out the second time, I press the MOM switch and turn the ignition key. This was suggested by the experienced RVer that gave us the initial walk through at delivery.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Diesel is not like a gas engine. Whether it's an older diesel with glow plugs or newer ones without you still need to wait. Diesels without glow plugs usually have a heating element in the air intake so hot air is taken in to help the engine start.
As mentioned earlier there should be a light on the dash that will go out when it is ok to start.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Cummins or Cat, both engines used an intake manifold heater grid; like an over sized toaster element; for pre start diesel warm up. To the best of my knowledge , they do not delay engine cranking , but only illuminate the wait to start light. The grid is only used when intake temps are below approx. 55f , if you're at warmer temps, than that, and have a cranking delay, ignition switch, starter relay or starter solenoid , are possible cause of the problem.
BUT: Always allow the dash system to complete it's bulb check before cranking, the control modules , really don't like that interrupted.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I don't know if that is "normal" but I'm pretty sure a 2001 diesel does not have glow plugs.
Mel
'96 Safari
Correct!
They use a heater grid in the intake which is why you can't use starting fluid in them
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote