Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Glare on Gauge's and back up camera

We are on our virgin voyage with our new vista. 36 Y My husband is having trouble seeing the gages and everything on the dash including the back up camera.
Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Larry and Karen
Larry65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The problem with viewing the instrument cluster has been discussed in this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/viewing-instrument-panel-152791.html

Post #10 has a solution that works.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I had trouble seeing the gauges as well, especially going from looking ahead of me on the roadway in bright daylight to gazing down at the speedometer. My eyes would not adjust quickly enough. I remedied the situation by painting the gauge needles with three coats of white nail polish.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have a 36Y and did the lights on the dash, works great. Backup camera we haven't found a solution to yet.

I wish these mfgs. would test their stuff to see if it is functional rather than "pretty".

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm with you, I can't see the gauges, especially the ones on the left. I use my GPS as a speedometer. If Ford would use white-faced gauges it would solve this problem.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I put this on Winn. They use what Ford gives them. It is the same thing with the backup camera, whoever designs the cockpit should try it out.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I too, have the glare problem on the back up monitor/stereo head unit. The screen has a matte finish that renders it useless when light comes through the passenger window. It is also mounted too far back (towards the rear of the coach) to be seen without craning your next. Certainly not easy to view.

I will be making a pod to house the monitor, along with a TPMS monitor and Sirius Sat head unit. This is a project for next month, but I certainly see no other solution. The pod will place everything to the right of the shift lever between the curve of the speedo and the center part of the dash.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

You can buy anti glare screen protector in many sizes. Should be easy to find one for your camera monitor and cut some to fit your dash panel. Amazon has them as well as ebay. Just search anti glare
phyllisNchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have tried the anti glare material and it doesn't help much. It really needs white gauge faces. I don't believe that they take what every Ford gives them. They have enough market share to order them the way they want them. I also can't believe that Winne doesn't know that this is an issue. They drive them out of the factory and too dealers. I also would hope that they read what owners are saying on the forum as well. To me this is a potential safety issue. I can see owners causing a crash while attempting to read the instrument panel.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertman View Post
I had trouble seeing the gauges as well, especially going from looking ahead of me on the roadway in bright daylight to gazing down at the speedometer. My eyes would not adjust quickly enough. I remedied the situation by painting the gauge needles with three coats of white nail polish.

Careful with that paint as the gauge needs light up at night. Check it out you may have caused another problem while fixing one.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsufans View Post
Careful with that paint as the gauge needs light up at night. Check it out you may have caused another problem while fixing one.
I only coated the TOP of the indicators with white nailpolish. The sides still glow very adequately at night when backlit. Overall, it is a 100% improvement day and night.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertman View Post
I only coated the TOP of the indicators with white nailpolish. The sides still glow very adequately at night when backlit. Overall, it is a 100% improvement day and night.
I googled white instrument panel face and came up with a company that sells instrument cluster needle paint! I can't believe it, where's there a demand, someone will come up with a product! They also sell white face for the instrument cluster and LED replacement backlights.

Dash Restoration Parts - Needle Paint - Whitegauges.net
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

In 2013 Ford sold almost 1,000,000 E and F series trucks. That includes all the E series partial chassis and the F53 and F59 stripped chassis. All of these units use the same instrument cluster configuration. Winnebago purchased 1,700 of the F53 stripped chassis. If my calculations are correct Winnebago purchased .0017% of the units built. That's hardly enough "buying power" to request Ford to produce an instrument panel specifically for their motorhomes.

Other problems associated with a special instrument panel would include who is going to supply and stock repair parts? How would they be routed to only Winnebago orders? How long would replacement parts and complete units be supplied? What happens when you need a replacement part for a 10 year old vehicle that was only available on .0017% of the vehicles produced?

Tags
camera, gauges