Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator won't start

I have an RV buddy who's generator will not start, in fact it won't even turn over. He has a 2000 Winnebago Journey with a 750 Onan.
When you try to start it all you hear are clicks like dead battery; however the engine starts right up and all of the lights etc work. He is on shore power so believe that all batteries are charged. tested them today and all measured in good condition with a full charge. He has a Trik L Start for the chassis batteries and they also checked out OK. According to his Onan manual there are battery terminals in the back of the generator, so we hooked up a battery charger to them but same problem, cliks but nothing else. Looking for ideas or suggestions on what to try next.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Clean the battery connections at the Onan starter. Check with a volt meter that you have 12V at the stater when hitting the start switch. If you do, have the starter checked is what I would try.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Dead coach battery. Being on shore power does not mean your battery is good. The coach battery starts the genny. I beleive, at least on some coaches the battery will not charge on shore power is the master switch is open or off. The battery is isolated from any of the circuits. You need a volt meter to do anything with your electrical system. With some voltage readings we can help a lot more.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

fuel tank has to be at least a quarter full...
Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
fuel tank has to be at least a quarter full...
Although good information, that won't prevent it from cranking over.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hold the battery boost down and then try it.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yes as they all have said, make sure your Coach Battery disconnect switch is on. No Coach battery no start. If not sure disconnect from shore power and see if the kitchen lights still work. Next check the generator breakers and make sure they are NOT tripped. 12vdc type of breaker. Now check your Auto start setup and sure it is not keeping your genny from working.
Also get back to us and let us know what you have found.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

What model # is it? I'll assume its an HDK** QD7500 Quiet Diesel.

1. At the front panel of the genset, just above the START/STOP switch is an access panel with 2-10mm bolts. This is the service door with the radiator cap attached behind it. There are 2, possibly 3 (depending upon the model#) inline fuses (ATO blade type). They may not be attached to the access panel that you removed, you may need to reach right inside the opening and lift the wiring harness out.. you'll see. Check the fuses.

The clicking noise you're most likely hearing the is the fuel pump priming. On the Quiet Diesels if you hold the start button it may take up to 2 minutes, depending upon how cold out it is, for the glow plug circuit to heat up before the unit attempts to engage the starter.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

In cooler weather

In cooler weather the Onan 7.5 diesel generator does not begin cranking right away ... when you push the rocker switch (either on the genset itself or on the dash) ... a light flashes for at least 30 seconds and sometimes for more than a minute before the fuel / glow plugs are sufficiently warmed ... then it begins to crank.

I started mine a couple of times earlier this month in 30 to 45 degree weather ... it took a long time before it began cranking ... and it took a couple of attempts before it ran ... and it ran roughly for a minute or two even then.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

WOW, thanks for all of the input, that is why this is the best forum. We are going to try all of your suggestions. Right now we disconnected shore power to get a handle on the coach batteries to see if they are charged or will take a charge. As we are doing that we will dig into the starter terminals as they are probably corroded.
Will be a few days as my buddy is a fireman so he is on duty for a couple but I will let you know what happens next.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
In cooler weather the Onan 7.5 diesel generator does not begin cranking right away ... when you push the rocker switch (either on the genset itself or on the dash) ... a light flashes for at least 30 seconds and sometimes for more than a minute before the fuel / glow plugs are sufficiently warmed ... then it begins to crank.
Good advice here from Skigramp. Try this before tearing into anything.

You may also need to prime the generator if it hasn't been started in a while, or if it was run out of fuel. Onan recommends priming for up to one minute. You prime it by holding the generator switch in the "Stop" position.

Here's a link to an Onan operator's manual:

Operator Manual - Cummins <b>Onan</b> PDF - edoqs
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

When my generator would not start, I would start the engine and then fire up the generator. Sometimes the chassis batteries were just not enough to fire up the generator.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Whenever I start my gas generator, I hold the start button to the off position for about 30 seconds to prime it. It usually starts withing a couple of seconds when I hit the start position.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Latest conclusion, batteries are toast, unplugged from shore power and everything went dead quickly. Buying new batteries tomorrow, then we will see what happens.
Tested the batteries when we took them out, 1 passed tested fair, the others dead.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Same here skigramps, and if the batteries a weak it does take glow plug longer to warm up especially if it's cold outside. I maintain batteries charge in winter, sometimes plug into shore power for a few days, next time run engine for a little while, and sometimes run genset . This is second winter doing this so we'll see how many years batteries will last. I know at least exercising the genset with a load is good if nothing else.

Tags
generator