Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator Use?

How many of you keep the generator running while traveling down the road? I was reading something from Cummins that seemed to recommend using the generator all of the time while traveling to power the roof top AC units, Fridge, etc.

I generally only use mine when it is very hot out as the front AC unit is not adequate. Also when it is very hot I will turn it on about an hour before we arrive at the campground to help cool the coach off before hooking up to shore power.

Any idea what the fuel consumption is on a 10KW Onan generator? Any downside to running it all of the time?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it's hot I run ours all the time on the road. Most gensets don't get run enough.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If the temps are high we run it ... believe the manual says 1/2 to 3/4 gal/hour depending on load. With good oil / fuel supply the generator can run for days; it has built-in oil and temp monitors. Also recommended to run with a load so we crank up all three A/Cs ... sure does feel good ...
Old 09-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
We set ours to auto start as soon as we start the coach. Then, as soon as the demand for a/c is requested, the generator starts. If the temp has been reached, the gen will cycle back off. Doesn’t happen often in summer (just a runs 99% of the time).
I don’t worry about the economy as long as we’re comfy. It can’t be more than a few gallons a day.
tnteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We run our generator if it is hot for the A/C, other wise we leave it off. Our dash a/c does good at keeping the front cool, until about 90 outside. Sometimes we will start the generator about noon to have the coach cool when we arrive at a campground.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have a View with diesel gen, 2700 w. I've tested the burn rate for mine several times.

fill up your fuel, run it for 12 hours and refill- simple math from there

Mine burns approx. 1/3 g per hour so it's not very expensive to have the comfort of heat/AC.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I've asked the same question before.
Great info from this site. My last trip to Florida and back, temps were in the 100's.
Ran the generator the whole trip, for me the dash air is useless at that temp.
Only recommendation is to check the generator water level more often.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We're one of the ones who are running the generator all the time. We have a routine of bringing the MH to our house a few days before a planned trip. I have 50A power at the house for the coach so while we are stocking up, the fridge is on AC power and the AC is keeping the coach cool. We often have our grand kids on board so I just keep the Generator running to give the kids TV and video games while we travel. Keep the coach cool for the dogs too. I've just never had a problem running it while we are going down the road so I run it.

Tags
generator