Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Generator Throttle

I need to adjust the throttle on the generator on my RV, but I cannot find where to adjust it. I know it is getting too much gas and flooding the engine because I can see it dripping out just before it dies.
mamaperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You didn't mention what model gen. Normally you would only adjust the throttle to raise/lower RPMs and voltage output.
A sticking float in the carb or improperly sealing needle & seat would cause dripping fuel and flooding.
When its running try tapping on the carb base or housing to see if that has any affect.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am honestly not sure of the model number. I am thinking, though, if it is anything to do with the carb, I am not going to be able to fix it myself and am going to have to have someone professional look at it. :(
Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Here is what happens: I turn on generator, it runs with some sputtering, then I turn on the A/C in the RV and it sputters worse and shuts off, then fuel drips out of the area where the air filter is.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

adjusting the throttle will not help. If you see gas dripping it is a stuck float or plugged orfice in the carb. You will need to clean or replace the float. You can also spray carb cleaner in the air intake. It might help
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

To do it correctly the carburator needs to be removed and cleaned. Unless you are mechanically inclined you should take it to someone familiar with this issue. It is a common issue for gasoline engines that sit for long periods. Gasoline dries out and what is left is a gummy varnish that clogs the jets in the carb especially the low speed jets as they have very small holes in them to flow fuel. Spraying carb cleaner will do no good and there is no easy fix for it. Sometimes the fuel float bowl is accessable without completely removing the carburator but you still need needle drill bits to clean the jets. Always start your generator and RV at least once a month and preferrably drive it until up to normal operating temperature. This will keep that from happening. Good Luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

i drain the float bowl on my 5500 genny if i anticipate not running it in the the next month when i park it. it is easy to prime it for the next start after the float bowl has been drained.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I would check your choke and ensure it is opening all the way. Also make sure you have a clean air filter installed.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Fuel E10, I have done so many carbs in last month for local Const Co. because of econamy,and they shut down 90%-starting to pick up now but small engines wont run

Tags
generator