Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator start switch...??? '03 Winnebago Adventurer 38G

Just went out to my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G to do my monthly starts/runs and overall check over and the switch on the dash and electrical panel would not start the generator. I went to the generator switched the breakers back and forth a couple times and hit the start toggle on the generator, started right up. Went into the coach, switched off the generator and waited for about 5 minutes, just in case of a relay delay, and tried to start the generator from the electrical panel again....nothing. Went to the dash switch and still nothing. Went out to the generator, hit the start toggle...fired right up.... This has never happened before and worked just fine a month ago when I did the my monthly start/run....Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem my be?????

Thanks in advance....Joe
tbomn091847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are your batteries low?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Are your batteries low?
No, everything starts and runs fine. There just is no connections between the inside generator switches and the generator........
Old 07-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Was having very similar symptoms a couple of weeks ago. Went back a re-cleaned all battery posts, checked cables from batteries to genset for wear, re-cleaned the battery lugs at the genset (beneath and to the rear). In a difficult position inside the battery compt. found corrosion on the grounding lug. Cleaned it. Genset started at all stations. Just to be sure, went behind the starting switches on dash and at OneStop and cleaned the knife connectors.

Working fine (until the next time)

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Was having very similar symptoms a couple of weeks ago. Went back a re-cleaned all battery posts, checked cables from batteries to genset for wear, re-cleaned the battery lugs at the genset (beneath and to the rear). In a difficult position inside the battery compt. found corrosion on the grounding lug. Cleaned it. Genset started at all stations. Just to be sure, went behind the starting switches on dash and at OneStop and cleaned the knife connectors.

Working fine (until the next time)

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Cleaned everything....no go. Nothing seems to connect the start side of the toggles in the coach, but the stop side works, I can stop it from the inside toggles........going to call Winnebago in the morning. There must be a relay on the start side that I am not finding. Thanks for the suggestions and help.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are 4 wire low voltage wires in the Winnebago OEM wiring running from the generator to the remote panel. No relay. Some more info for trouble shooting below.

You did not tell us your coach type and year so this is for basic coaches with the remote panel with switch and hours meter only. Coaches with auto start have a 5th wire.

Label Purpose Color
LL Generator Run Indication yellow
LM Start white
LN Stop white
LP Ground white

There is a single pole double throw center off switch when set to start it connects Start to Ground and when set to stop it connects Stop to ground. The Run indicator lead has voltage when generator is running and also feeds an input terminal on the battery isolation manager.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You might want to check the plug with the wiring to the generator at the generator. There have been similar issues if there is moisture on that connector. That is the communications link to the generator from the switches inside. Good luck.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
There are 4 wire low voltage wires in the Winnebago OEM wiring running from the generator to the remote panel. No relay. Some more info for trouble shooting below.

You did not tell us your coach type and year so this is for basic coaches with the remote panel with switch and hours meter only. Coaches with auto start have a 5th wire.

Label Purpose Color
LL Generator Run Indication yellow
LM Start white
LN Stop white
LP Ground white

There is a single pole double throw center off switch when set to start it connects Start to Ground and when set to stop it connects Stop to ground. The Run indicator lead has voltage when generator is running and also feeds an input terminal on the battery isolation manager.
I did mention in the original post that it was a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G but I would guess that all coaches with a generator have the same wiring. I will pull the panel again and see if I can get those wires checked to see if they are intact.. Thanks for the info..
Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

Follow wiring from gen towards coach. You should find a plug usually within 6’. Unplug and spray with electronic cleaner. Reassemble. Should be the problem.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Generator starting problems...

I had the same symptoms on my '97 Winnie Itasca. Turned out to be one of the inside switches which had lost connection to the ground wire. Replaced both switches and works fine. Also noted that the generator no longer shuts off while it is running which it would do from time to time.
tkamsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
You might want to check the plug with the wiring to the generator at the generator. There have been similar issues if there is moisture on that connector. That is the communications link to the generator from the switches inside. Good luck.

My thought exactly. Have had issues there. Cleaned the connector contacts at the generator inverter panel and all was well after. I use some anti-oxide compound on the connector pins.... sparingly.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I simply toggled on/off my coach shut off switch.
boatdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, switch, winnebago, adventurer