Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator slide out - 2012 Tour

Any tricks to getting the generator to slide out a little more easy?
Lubed the slide racks, handle is pulling out, "locks" are moving.
Two grown men pushing and I was pulling...didn't move. Yes it has been out before. As another 12 Tour owner said "It's a bugger to slide out".
Any suggestions? Thanks.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A stupid question but doesn't the Generator have a power slide out. My 2014 has one does the 2012 have the same.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not a stupid question at all. I guess Winnebago had so many complaints about the 2012 Tour generator slide out, they motorized it.

Page 3-29 & 3-30 of the 2012 Tour Operators Handbook shows the "pull lever and lift security pin" method releasing the lower front portion that houses the generator.

Tomorrow, going to soak the pin again. Pin may not have cleared slot.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

2012 has lever pull and security pin. Not motorized.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
Not all that familiar with your coach and or, generator slide. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, also has a slide out generator. I have one pin on the right side (as you're looking at the front of the coach) that secures that gen from sliding out on its own. But, there's also a release handle at the top that must be triggered to release a secondary latch in order for the gen to slide out.

I don't know if yours has any form of primary and secondary latching systems. But, if it were me, once I got that gen out, I'd figure what's the problem with it not sliding easily. If it's some burrs on a track, or, something's in the way like a piece of metal that got bent, some rollers that need some lubing, whatever it is, I'd try and repair that situation so that it rolls out easily the next time you need for it to come out.

So, let us know what you find is the problem so that others may learn.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Scott: Thanks. FYI our 08 Tour had a simple lever on the drivers side(not on the part that slides out with the generator) and an easy movement released the generator and coach lower front end. It was balanced so well after releasing (lever) it only took the index finger to slide it all the way out. Great!!

Now to the 2012 Tour, It has a completely different system. And not so good.
I have to get on the ground, on my back after pulling the lever at the bottom (passenger side) and lift the security T-pin straight up. Apparently it was not clearing its locking slot.

After more soaking with "Nutz Off", it cleared the locking slot. A combination of rust and dirt has preventing clearance of the T-pin.

So Ron, that's why yours is motorized and mine is donkey powered. Thanks Scott!
And I should mention our 2012 Tour (Power Gear) has been almost flawless. One of the best Winnebago ever made!! Kerry
Old 04-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Glad you got it figured out. My 2011 was rusted and not unlocking, just needed to be cleaned up, but I wasted a lot of energy pulling before I figured out the latch was not releasing completely

Tags
generator, slide, slide out