Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator remote start is not working

Like the title says, my remote generator start is not working. Neither the one in the cockpit nor the one on the monitor and switch panel (don't know what that one is called).
I cleaned the connector at the generator and at the same time jumped the correct pins to prove that the generator will start via the remote connector. It does. And by the way the remote stop switch works as does the indicator lite in the cockpit switch.

The wiring diagram indicates that the start wire is stamped 'LL'. The connector at the generator has a number ending in 'LL'. The cockpit switch has a different wire number ending in 'LL' and the one in the back of the coach has yet a different wire number ending in 'LL'. This tells me that the 'LL' wires must be joined somewhere. The schematic seems to indicate there is a connection under the galley. I've looked there as well as under the shower where there are a ton of wires including one with the illusive 'LL' (from the monitor and switch panel above") No connector.

After all this, my questions are. Has anyone had the same problem? Where did you find the connector or rather the bad connection. By the way, I checked the continuity from the generator connector to the cockpit switch and the wire is open.

This issue will not slow down any trips we have planned, but it's a pain to go the generator and open it up to start, just for my morning toast after an hour or two of driving!! Plus it's just not right.

Thanks in advance to all the fine knowledgeable people on this forum

Stan
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Stan
I don't have the experience to help you solve this one - but do recommend you post this same issue on IRV2 which will expose you to a much larger audience. Auto-start generator functions are common across RV models - someone is sure to have first-hand experience.

Let us know what results - we all learn ... thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'll post this in the iRV2 Winnebago forum right away, but in the mean time if anyone on this forum can help, well, that would be so good. This morning I removed the shelving under the washroom sink in search of the 'LL' wire, but no luck. Oh well, it needed a bit of cleaning anyway.
Stan
Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

After following the illusive 'LL' wire from the generator all the way to the front of the coach and then across the back of the engine (in a U shaped metal support) and then up to under the dash where it disappeared with a hundred million other lookalikes ... I stopped looking.

I followed Jim_HiTek's suggestion and spliced a wire from near the generator connector to under the shower floor where a bundle of wires go up the wall to the Gen Start/Stop switch. All in 3/8 loom and neatly tyewrapped. Now the generator will start and stop using the switch in the hallway or the one on the dash.

So ,thanks for the replies and maybe I can be of help to someone in the future.

Stan

Tags
generator