Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased a 2003 Minnie 31C and want to ensure everything is tip top prior to our first trip. We have a Onan 4.0 Generator with 200 hours on it. What type of oil do you use and how often do you do an oil change on it.

Thanks,

Tom
K9RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just purchased a 2003 Minnie 31C and want to ensure everything is tip top prior to our first trip. We have a Onan 4.0 Generator with 200 hours on it. What type of oil do you use and how often do you do an oil change on it.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My Onan 7.5 diesel is oil & filter every 150 hr along with cleaning the spark arrestor. And at 500 hr I also change the air filter & fuel filter. Gas could likely be different internals. Best bet would be to check Onan website, or call them.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations on the new coach!! Hope you have lot's of fun.

Onan recommends their 15-40 weight oil and as you are probably still under warranty, you might want to consider using their oil.

There is no filter on the 4KY Onan generator, and it only uses about 2 quarts of oil, so frequent changes are cheap and beneficial to an air cooled unit. We normally recommend to our customers that change it every 75 to 100 hrs max. Obviously the owners manual also provides guide lines. Also, watch that air filter as it needs to be kept clean. Nothing special, but again, it's pretty cheap to change the air filter versus serious repairs on the genset.

At the risk of offering something that you might already know, I'll say it anyway. Your genset should be run every month for about an hour to exercise the engine. IN ADDITION, it should be run with approx 50-75% load during the exercise. This is necessary to 1)run the engine, and 2) heat up the alternator drying out the field coils, stator, etc. This will prevent any excess moisture, bugs, etc from staying in the alternator and causing problems later.

Congrats again, and have fun on the road.

Mike & Lisa
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies, we have no owners manual with our RV so do not have any documentation with our unit (we have ordered an owner's manual for our unit). We are new to MOHO as we had a Fifth Wheel previously and we are new to generators. Does the owner's manual for the Minnie cover the generator?

Thanks again,

Tom
Old 02-28-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Tom,

The Winnie manual won't tell you much about the generator - maybe how to start it and stop it. Here's a link to a PDF document on the Onan site that should answer your questions.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

From the Onan website:

Should I use straight 30-weight oil in my RV generator set, or is the multi-viscosity oil I use in my vehicle okay?
You can use any premium quality engine oil in the correct oil viscosity for your generator's typical operating temperature range. Avoid mixing different grades or brands.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRVGuy:
Your genset should be run every month for about an hour to exercise the engine. IN ADDITION, it should be run with approx 50-75% load during the exercise.

Mike & Lisa </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TheRVGuy,

I have a question. I ran my generator last week when I took my RV to Camping World so they could install a new toy, a break controller for a trailer. I tried to turn down the temp so the air conditioner would come on to put a load on the generator but I guess it was too cold for the air conditioner to come on. Short of running the microwave for an extended period how can I put a load on the generator in the winter?

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Your genset should be run every month for about an hour to exercise the engine. IN ADDITION, it should be run with approx 50-75% load during the exercise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An hour???

I thought the genrator had to be run long enought to drive any mositure out of the windings. I had 1300 hours on the 7.5kw Onan generator in my last motorhome and I never exercised the generator for an hour. 10 minutes, under a load of 1500w, will do the job.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JD Allen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRVGuy:
Your genset should be run every month for about an hour to exercise the engine. IN ADDITION, it should be run with approx 50-75% load during the exercise.

Mike & Lisa </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TheRVGuy,

I have a question. I ran my generator last week when I took my RV to Camping World so they could install a new toy, a break controller for a trailer. I tried to turn down the temp so the air conditioner would come on to put a load on the generator but I guess it was too cold for the air conditioner to come on. Short of running the microwave for an extended period how can I put a load on the generator in the winter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Move south!!!

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have a question. I ran my generator last week when I took my RV to Camping World so they could install a new toy, a break controller for a trailer. I tried to turn down the temp so the air conditioner would come on to put a load on the generator but I guess it was too cold for the air conditioner to come on. Short of running the microwave for an extended period how can I put a load on the generator in the winter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use a 1500w electric heater.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Mine is an Onan 6.5K gas model. Anybody running synthetic oil in the generator? See any difference, or is there a significant difference in service requirements?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

When I owned a gas coach with a gas generator,Yes I used Amsoil motorcyle oil.
Worked great.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

For generator load I use the a/c or heat pump, microwave with a cup of water in it. The hair blow dryer. I turn these items on one at a time until I build the load I need. Turn them off the same way before shut down.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Service intervals are the same. Onan makes no recommendation that you can extend your service intervals by using synthetic oil.

I had 1300+ hours on my gas Onan 7kw using non-synthetic. Spend the money you'd save by not using synthetics and take the wife out to dinner.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ed, I too use the AIMSOIL motorcycle oil, as my Harley and Onan I think have
a lot in common! 15W40, again I change once a yr. in the fall, witha new WIX
filter. I know it is overkill, but it gives me a warm fuzzy filling. TENN.VOL.