Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator Problem

I recently purchased a 2007 Winnebago Voyage with a 5500 Onan generator. I was camping and ran the generator for 2 days off and on and it worked great. Tonight was running it and it just shut down. I had been running it for a few hours prior. I am full of fuel. I restarted it a while later and it starts right up but doesn't transfer any power to the rig. Any ideas. Oh yes and I am a solo female so dumb it down for me as I am not mechanical LOL

kelly
Winnytrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Find the circuit breaker on the generator. There may be one or two. They look a lot like home electric panel circuit breakers.

With the generator OFF (Not running) Turn the breakers off and on twice to clean the internal contacts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Onan generators are somewhat smarter than the average user it seems (Joking a bit) in that if they stop producing 120vac, the shut down to conserve fuel.

I would start with the Circuit breakers, an overload could stall the generator, and trip the breakers IN THAT ORDER. NOTE the breakers do not have a "Tripped" position, just on and off. You may need a flashlight to read the indicator depending on the angle of the sun.. in fact I did not even know it was t here.. On mine (yours may be differnet) the breakers move horizontally and toward the MOTOR is off. (If they are up and down UP is normally on)

Then we have the automatic transfer switch.. Mine failed NOTE, I do not think this is your problem but I could be wrong (Key word THINK).

One of the things they forget to tell you at delivery is this. When changing from SHORE to GENERATOR or back,, Shut down.. IN fact Shut down for 3 minutes.

From shore to Generator: Turn off Shore power (Optionally unplug as well but turn off before unpluging, in fact always plug/unplug with park breakers OFF)

Wait 3 and start generator (See alternative below)

When going from Generator to shore.. "Kill" genny, wait 3, Plug in and turn on.

Alternative method (Good if shore power fails, can be done entierly INSIDE most motor homes)

Turn off main breakers, Start timing,, Start/stop generator,, when time hits 3 minutes restore main breakers.

If you park in areas subject to power fail.. A suggestion

I have a second circuit on this RV. This is basically a 12ga Extension cord.

It is plugged into the park's 15/20 amp outlet and feeds a small desk fan, or it can feed a light (or space heater) When power fails this device fails. When power is restored this device is restored.. That's when I know to turn off breakers, kill generator, wait 3 and restore breakers.
If
Old 01-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Onan generators are somewhat smarter than the average user it seems (Joking a bit) in that if they stop producing 120vac, the shut down to conserve fuel.

I would start with the Circuit breakers, an overload could stall the generator, and trip the breakers IN THAT ORDER. NOTE the breakers do not have a "Tripped" position, just on and off. You may need a flashlight to read the indicator depending on the angle of the sun.. in fact I did not even know it was t here.. On mine (yours may be differnet) the breakers move horizontally and toward the MOTOR is off. (If they are up and down UP is normally on)

Then we have the automatic transfer switch.. Mine failed NOTE, I do not think this is your problem but I could be wrong (Key word THINK).

One of the things they forget to tell you at delivery is this. When changing from SHORE to GENERATOR or back,, Shut down.. IN fact Shut down for 3 minutes.

From shore to Generator: Turn off Shore power (Optionally unplug as well but turn off before unpluging, in fact always plug/unplug with park breakers OFF)

Wait 3 and start generator (See alternative below)

When going from Generator to shore.. "Kill" genny, wait 3, Plug in and turn on.

Alternative method (Good if shore power fails, can be done entierly INSIDE most motor homes)

Turn off main breakers, Start timing,, Start/stop generator,, when time hits 3 minutes restore main breakers.

If you park in areas subject to power fail.. A suggestion

I have a second circuit on this RV. This is basically a 12ga Extension cord.

It is plugged into the park's 15/20 amp outlet and feeds a small desk fan, or it can feed a light (or space heater) When power fails this device fails. When power is restored this device is restored.. That's when I know to turn off breakers, kill generator, wait 3 and restore breakers.
If
All good advice; I would only add one thing: When switching from Shore to Gen (or from Gen to Shore), always shut down all loads first.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you all so much. So last night I think I overloaded the genny. I am not used to this as my EMS shuts down various loads and then will turn them back on if I am using too much wattage. The generator power does not do this. So this morning after it warms up a bit I am going to go out and reset the circuit breakers. I even dug out the manual last night (couldnt sleep for worrying) and it had those instructions. Will have to tackle opening the genny up LOL those instructions were a bit confusing but maybe when I look into it that will make more sense.

I will let you know my outcome. This is my first boondocking experience LOL can ya tell.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnytrvlr View Post
Thank you all so much. So last night I think I overloaded the genny. I am not used to this as my EMS shuts down various loads and then will turn them back on if I am using too much wattage. The generator power does not do this.
I will let you know my outcome. This is my first boondocking experience LOL can ya tell.
Winnytrvlr
I believe your EMS should work equally as well... (do exactly the same things)... whether you have generator or shore power.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

THANKYOU ALL, I am a wee bit smarter now. It is humming away and I am making more coffee. You folks are great.

kelly
Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If the breaker tripped then that alone won't cause the generator to stop running. Some common causes are:

- gas tank at 1/4 full or less, the generator pickup is above the bottom of the gas tank at about 1/4 tankfull level so you can't strand yourself

- be sure to run the generator with the generator access cover on, except for short periods of time when checking it. With the cover off the generator's blower that keeps everything from overheating will blow air out where the cover should be and not thru the whole generator

- the generator blows air around it to keep it from overheating, if the hot air goes right back to the generator air intake then the generator can shut down from overheating. If this caused the shut down then it will have stored that code, see below. If this happened, then you can try leaving the coach side wall door for the generator compartment open to help keep the hot air exhaust from getting back to the generator air intake.

If you found your generator book and are comfortable taking the cover off you can follow the generator book instructions to hit the start button on the generator itself briefly and get the generator to display a "flash code" that says why the generator shut down the last time it did. How to interpet the flashes and what the codes mean are in the book.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
If the breaker tripped then that alone won't cause the generator to stop running. Some common causes are:

- gas tank at 1/4 full or less, the generator pickup is above the bottom of the gas tank at about 1/4 tankfull level so you can't strand yourself

- the generator blows air around it to keep it from overheating, if the hot air goes right back to the generator air intake then the generator can shut down from overheating. If this caused the shut down then it will have stored that code, see below.

If you found your generator book and are comfortable taking the cover off you can follow the generator book instructions to hit the start button on the generator itself briefly and get the generator to display a "flash code" that says why the generator shut down the last time it did. How to interpet the flashes and what the codes mean are in the book.
Here's a 3rd reason for the generator to stop- oil level too low. Check the oil level at the generator oil fill plug. Good luck. Glad to hear it's running again.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau.../F-1123-EN.pdf

This is a good read over morning coffee. The most important thing to do is run your generator at least once a month for a couple of hours under load.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator