Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator: LP or Diesel?

We are in the process of trading in our Jayco Class C for a View Profile. The View will be ordered from the factory so the ability to choose options is wide open. I was surprised to find that the diesel generator is over $3,000 more than the LP generator, and I'd like opinions on whether the diesel is worth the extra money.

Has anyone installed jacks on a View or View Profile?

Thanks for your thoughts. Any other comments on options and the View Profile in general, will also be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You get what you pay for. L.P. gens bomb through fuel fast. Diesel gens (in general) last longer and are more efficiant (make more power burning less fuel) Also L.P. gas tanks on rigs are normally smaller than the Diesel tank will be. We have 2,400 hours on our 7.5 kw Onan Diesel 3 cylinder gen (20 years old!) and she is still running strong. Have seen several cases of well-maintained military diesel gens having excess of 10k hours and still running.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you can afford it, the diesel would be the best choice by far. The propane tank will offer very limited run time. The same propane tank has to run your stove, oven, furnace, water heater, and fridge.
You'll see some return on the extra cost when you sell it.
On the other hand, if you don't plan on using your genny much, then go with the cheaper option.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
doc
Winnebago Owner

Get the diesel, even with the higher price of the unit you will still save with less frustration searching for an LP fill-up.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Generator

Me too for diesel gen. Propane tank will last a lot longer just running stove ,fridge and water heater. Throw in gen and you will be empty a lot.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Diesel, diesel, diesel.

Get the jacks unless you think you will always be on a level site or want to get out in the rain and put down boards, blocks or pads to level the rig. We had a motorhome without jacks once....never again.

Did I say diesel????
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Are you going to dry camp a lot and use the generator? I've read or heard that most RV generators are not run enough to keep them in good operating condition. If you are not planning using it a LOT I'd think the propane would be sufficient. Just my two cents worth.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Are you going to dry camp a lot and use the generator? I've read or heard that most RV generators are not run enough to keep them in good operating condition. If you are not planning using it a LOT I'd think the propane would be sufficient. Just my two cents worth.
I second that thought... although you should also think about enroute generator use too. During the summer we often travel with the generator running and the roof air blasting away so that we don't arrive with the coach at 110 degrees.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Diesel, diesel, diesel.

Get the jacks unless you think you will always be on a level site or want to get out in the rain and put down boards, blocks or pads to level the rig. We had a motorhome without jacks once....never again.

Did I say diesel????
We do a fair amount of boondocking, and have had both LP and diesel generators.

For all the reasons above, I vote for a diesel generator also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Diesel ---- we run the generator on the road to run the refrigerator and, if needed, the air conditioning. Same fuel for the generator as the diesel motor pushing the MH. The diesel generator burns around 1 gallon per hour. Also, each time you fill up the tanks on the MH, you are refilling the fuel for the generator. Propane is not as easy to refill and from a cost view point, I am not sure that propane is any cheaper than diesel (could be wrong on the last point).
Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I vote for the Diesel. Propane fuel is hard to find, costly.
I have a friend with a propane generator and he is continually having start issues. It also is not very efficient. He carries additional 20 pound cylinders to use when camping to avoid using the main tank.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have a propane generator in my 2010 View 24A. We don't use the generator that often but if I did diesel would have been my choice. There are a fair number of folks that have HWH levelers installed on their View/Navions. They all love them but they take away about 200 lbs of the CCC which is not much on these MH's. Join the yahoo View/Navion group with over 4,000 members. You'll get plenty of information on V/N's

Jim

View-Navion : Winnebago's Skinnie-Winnies
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Lots of good thoughts here and we thank you all for your input. While our choice in campsites is usually full hookups, we do use state forest campgrounds with no hookups, and motor home rallies with only 15 amp service, so we will use the generator a fair bit. We got the dealer to drop the price a bit and ordered a coach with the diesel generator.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Get the Diesel.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Is that new rig a motor home or trailer? If motor home chose the same fuel as the main engine.. You carry way more motion lotion (As fuel is sometimes called) than propane.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Is that new rig a motor home or trailer? If motor home chose the same fuel as the main engine.. You carry way more motion lotion (As fuel is sometimes called) than propane.
It's definitely a motor home. As you'll see a few posts above, we ordered the unit last night and did get the diesel generator. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Good choice. Our last diesel pusher had a propane generator, and it was both louder, and used more fuel than a diesel. As previously mentioned, far better to run off the RV's main fuel source than try to keep the propane filled. We've had both, and no question a diesel gen is far superior.
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote