Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
My generator manual indicates that you either have a power problem or a starter motor problem. You will need a voltmeter to test the current flow situation.

The trouble shooting flowchart in the manual says to test the battery for available current, then clean and tighten the cable connections.

If power is reaching the start switch, then:

Make sure the main generator switch is turned on.

Test the start switch for continuity.

If power reaches the starter terminals, then the starter is the problem.

If it were my genset, I would tap the starter with a hammer to see if it is hung up.

If that does not work, I would measure the voltage at the starter with the start switch engaged.

If no voltage at the starter, I would then test for power to the start switch.

If no voltage at the switch, but there is adequate voltage at the battery terminals, then there is a wire problem between the battery and the switch.

1. Is your house battery disconnect switch in the facilitate mode?
2. Do you have 12v lights in the coach now?

Being a newbie, I'm not sure what main generator switch is, or battery disconnect switch in facilitate mode.

Could you shed a little light on these?
Thanks
RJ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

It is a bad ground connection, or bad connection at the starter on the generator. Either one can be checked with a simple voltmeter. With the switch depressed, check to see if you are getting battery voltage to the starter. If, you have voltage here, then check the ground connection for integrity. If you have a "poor" ground connection, you can still get voltage at the starter, but not enough amperage. The "click" you here is the starter solenoid activating, but not with enough amperage to turn the starter.

BTW: In a prior post someone mentioned that you should try tapping the starter with a hammer; what this does is to move the armature in the starter, if it tries to start, what this is really telling you is that there is a defective spot in the field coils of the starter.
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

It was the positive connection at the starter. Thanks to everyone !
RJ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

you are quite welcome................happy camping !

Everybody on these forums knows something, and together we all know a lot !!!! Just one big happy family !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

If you are handy with a volt meter, find and check the DC voltages on both sides of the genset starter solenoid while depressing the local start switch. This will give you a true test of battery charge/voltage actually reaching the genset. You could have a bad ground or corroded cable between the batteries (when the management panel gets it's reading) and the genset starter solenoid.
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Please ignore last post, was using the Android IRV2.com app on my smartphone and didn't notice the second page and that the problem was resolved.
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

"Being a newbie, I'm not sure what main generator switch is, or battery disconnect switch in facilitate mode.

Could you shed a little light on these?
Thanks"

Your House battery may be the starting battery for the Genset. If so, the battery disconnect switch is in the "facilitate mode" when it is not in the disconnect mode. (I do not know whether that is in the On mode or Off mode. )

The main generator switch may be on the generator if so equipped.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote