Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator Exhaust Problem & Gravity Fill Fresh water tank issue for Winnibego Aspect

Hi everyone, I am new to the site so I hope it is ok to ask two questions at the same time.

I recently purchased a new motor-home, my first, and although still excited I sure am disappointed in how Winnipeg is not dealing with this. This is a 2010 but never used and when I bought it we told them that we do a lot of boon-docking. So we go on our first trip for 3 weeks fishing and go to fill the fresh water tank and the only way you can fill this is with a pressurized hose. Which was not practical where we were staying. It was much easier to go with the truck and fill up the 7 Gal jugs and then fill our rigs. Anyone else have this problem? I was told that they are no longer making "gravity fill tanks"???

The second, much more serious problem is the generator exhaust is entering the unit and triggering the carbon monoxide alarm. This happened twice on two different days with different weather. One was calm and the other was windy and rainy. I took it to an RV dealer close to where we were camping and they checked to make sure that there were no leaks. They said that the exhaust pipe is too close to the dinette slide and is located between the 2 slides and is seeping in thru the slides. We did not have any windows open. We immediately left the rig and say out for more than an hour to make sure it was aired out and safe to return but never used it again. Now back to the RV dealer where we purchased it and still no luck as Winnebago is saying that there is nothing wrong with the installation or location. I have seen most of these pipes out the back of rigs. But they inform me that many are out the side.??? Any helpful thoughts out there on how to rectify this or fight Winnebago? Thank you all in advance. Kathy
kathyoxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Take a look at the gen-turi exhaust for the gen. This will vent the exhaust to the top of the rig. You may get a small 12volt pump to use to fill your water tank. hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Fresh water tank fill while boondocking

We too boondock for long periods--3-4 months in the winter--with a number of other rigs. I bought a spare water pump to match the one in the rv and use it to pump water into the motorhome. I set it up with quick disconnects on the hoses and with a 12v extension cord that plugs into the car accessory port. We haul water in our toads--I have a 60 gallon tank that fits in the back of our Subaru; some of the others use 5 gallon water jugs. This has worked well for us and keeps us from having to move the rig to get water.

1999 Alpine Coach MDSS - 2014 Chev Sonic toad
or Sport Trailer with Sandrail
wesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There is a big difference between "fighting" a dealer and "fighting" a manufacturer. Dealers are often unresponsive after a sale is made because there is often no financial incentive for resolving some problems. Manufacturers are more concerned with the bigger picture which often includes liability and public perception.

Call Winnebago Industries and find someone that is sympathetic to your cause. If you don't find this with the first person you speak with, find someone else. Big companies have systems in place to handle escalated issues. Stay focused on the issue of safety and remain calm, reasonable, and positive. Don't threaten to "never buy a product from them again" because this will tell them that you're essentially a lost cause.

As for a solution, it's nearly impossible to make meaningful recommendations without actually seeing your RV. However, you clearly have a pathway that needs to be closed. This fix may also eliminate exhaust fumes that are entering your rig while on the road.

In terms of getting water into your tank, we've seen people connect a piece of hose (male) with a check valve (a one-way valve) to the output side of a spare 12-volt water pump. This hose is then screwed into the normal water supply inlet for your water tank. The input side of the spare pump is then connected to the source of the water (jugs, etc.). You then turn the valve that is used to fill your tank and attach the pump to a 12-volt supply (typically a 12-volt plug-in connector). It will then fill your tank at the rated capacity of the spare pump. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

hi kathy,
i agree with the gen-turi suggestion. i have been trying to make a home made one unsuccessfully.
your water fill problem:
you probably have a method of winterizing your water system. this uses your 12v water pump to suck rv anti-freeze out of jugs. check your owners manual for winterizing info.
on my moho, there is a hose with a cap on it in the water pump compartment. if i stick that hose in a water jug, the rv pump will suck water out of the jug into the water tank. there is a valve in the vicinity that must be manipulated also.
welcome to the forum.:welcome:
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Generator and Water Tank

Hi everyone, Wow am I lucky to find this website. I really appreciate all of your helpful replies to my questions. These are great suggestions. I will try going to Winnebago and I will save my frustrations for the final hoo-rah.

I did ask Winnebago about using one of those exhaust extensions you mentioned and was told that my warranty would be void. So our health is more important and I will resort to using something if all else fails. Hopefully I can find a resolution. It so surprises me that they would not want to resolve such a serious situation. Winnebago traditionally has a very good reputation. I may have just gotten a bad rep or he was having a bad day but he was very condescending and unhelpful.

The water tank suggestions is excellent. I never even thought about using a 12V pump. We had the tanks with the spout and hose connections but was missing the pressure. I did ask about using the option that one of you mentioned, using the winterization system, as that made sense to me but the RV dealer said that we cannot use that???? I will re-read the manual when I pick up my Rig.

Today was my birthday and all of you made it just that little bit nicer & happier so thanks again for taking the time to help out a fellow RV'er. Happy Travels.

Kathy
kathyoxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Kathy

I have two things to say. First......HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

2. Use the Genturi system. I think you have an onan generator. Voiding the warranty is their way of dealing with something they don't really want to deal with exhausting exhaust away from the motorhome. Onan will never know you use this system unless you tell them. Make sure the three tubes will clear the top of your motorhome. If not you can buy an extension from Camco. I purchased the middle pipe as an extension to ensure it goes way above the roof line. Your air conditioners will not suck air in so just make sure all vents are closed on top. Also send me an email [email protected] and I will send you some directions for handles to hold genturi in place. Won't take DH more than 1/2 and hour to make.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Two problems two solutions one should be required of ALL motor home owners (#2)

First the water: There are three actual solutions here. First.. I have heard of the Gravity fill being in some really weird places.. Like behind a locked door in the engine compartment. You might wish to contact the manufacturer and see if they hid one some where.

2: A hand pump, called a winterizing pump, sold at most every RV store, fits on a gallon jug to pump PINK STUFF through the lines, can pump water too

3: A 12 volt transfer pump, Harbor Freight sells some with garden hose fittings.

Now the generator.. This should be required of ALL motor home owners, DO NOT PARK NEXT TO ME AND RUN YOUR SIDE EXHAUST GENERATOR WITHOUT ONE (or something like it)

Camco Mfg Inc - Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System - Generator Accessories - Camping World

You can get the same thing, likely for less, at other stores, and some folks home brew.. Personally, I like the Original Genuine Item.. When my rig was new 2 hours and the CO alarm went off, After install of the Gen-Turi, I've hit 25 hours on 2 occasions with no alarm (Amateur Radio Field Day, The club runs their stations totally on non-mains power, meaning my generator) A very useful item.

I've had my neighbor's RV set off my CO alarm too when he cranked up his generator which is why I feel it should be required, And we often read stories of say a NASCR event where two RV's parked too close together (like sardines on the infield) one family never wakes up in the morning due to the other's Generator exhaust.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

try this:

So, I decided that a genturi was a good idea for our "new" rv, but I am too cheap to just go and buy one. Therefore, I present the Gen(eric)-Turi. It consists of a 90 degree sweep (elbow) to shove onto the generator exhaust pipe, a section of metal downspout (don't use plastic, it melts when you load up the genny. Don't ask), a downspout elbow at the top (plastic is OK), two downspout straps, and four suction cups. I cut the top third of the downspout off so the whole thing can be stored in the pass-through compartment.

One fringe benefit: you can spot the RV in a crowded parking lot from a loooong distance. Nobody else has a little white chimney.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
And we often read stories of say a NASCR event where two RV's parked too close together (like sardines on the infield) one family never wakes up in the morning due to the other's Generator exhaust.
The NASCAR events I have been at, had a after 11PM no generator use.

Can you post a link to all those often stories of deaths at the NASCAR events.
Or just maybe one. Or are they just rumor stories?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have attended numerous NASCAR events and parked in the infield and surrounding parking areas with my motorhome for many years and have never heard of anyone dying because of this.

I like the homemade exhaust stack and might make one of my own. Thank you.
Horseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I'm sorry, my primary search engine is not responding today.. There were links on the rv.net forums about a year ago as I recall. Possibly 2, this year has been kind.

Tried two alternate sites but they do not parse my search terms as well as Google does.

The stories were reported in the local newspapers.

Tried one more search, this one is not a race track, (Iowa State Fair) and I think the generator was INSIDE the trailer (IDIOT) but.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/breaking_...45b93ca79.html

I will try again tomorrow, do not know why Google is not responding (or perhaps Sunday, Tomorrow is going to be a bit busy for me)

Tags
generator, tank, water