Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The earlier thread on the lack of generator bolts has me concerned. I rolled under a new Mountainare in the park yesterday and all 4 bolts were in. I'm going to try to do the same for a Foretravel and a few others.

I'm expecting to be at the Tampa RV show tomorrow so I may see a lot of them - including current Winnies.

If Winnie staff members are looking in here periodically, it would be nice if they could clarify this issue ASAP.

Don
Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The earlier thread on the lack of generator bolts has me concerned. I rolled under a new Mountainare in the park yesterday and all 4 bolts were in. I'm going to try to do the same for a Foretravel and a few others.

I'm expecting to be at the Tampa RV show tomorrow so I may see a lot of them - including current Winnies.

If Winnie staff members are looking in here periodically, it would be nice if they could clarify this issue ASAP.

Don
Old 01-12-2005, 04:39 AM   #3

dleslie 125

You might move this topic to the on I wrote to keep it at the top, which will alos show a larger number of readers. Bolts missing and broken off were only part of my problem, the generator carriage in my coach doesn't match the generator plateform and which blocked the compartment housing door where the oil filter
is located.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

That seemed to get buried so I figured we should start another thread.

I was at the Tampa show today and got down on the ground and rolled under the front end of a Meridian - all 4 bolts were there holding the Gennie into the platform. The sales guys gave me some strange looks. Itasca was represented at this show but not the Winnie line.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #5

dleslie,

I suppose the more this issue is exposed, the more, people will be able to read it. Thanks.

Tomcat F15
"A little help never hurt anybody."
Old 01-14-2005, 02:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hey Rich,,,just where is the door located on the underside of the genny? I looked, four bolts and a wire covered opening on the right front was all in place and intact. Dealer said all is ok so I hope it is..How's things in tx . email me if you like...storm front comeing thru today and temp is susposed to get down in the 30/40's next few days.. Spring is over in Virginia. LOL..Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Was pretty sure that I checked this once before, but got on the creeper and looked again. All of my generator mounting bolts are there, as they should be. I posted this before, but will mention again, that I DID have to remove the access door hinge bolts, then remove the door so I could file off about a sixteenth of an inch of the adjacent frame. Then the door had clearance to open.

That proves to me that the owner and selling dealer never change the gen oil, which they said they had done.

Jimmy: if you get under your gen, on the bottom plate you will see two black plastic door latches that, when sqeezed toward each other, allows the access door to drop down. The problem was that when I released the latches, the door wouldn't move due to some metal frame that was slightly under the edge of door.

I could have loosened the gen mount bolts and re-positioned it by an eighth, but felt it was better to file a little metal away to provide clearance.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #8

Capt.Bill

Thank you, your right on with your reply. You would have had a 50/50 chance of breaking the bolts loose, without breaking them. The steel bolts conduct electrolosis on the threads in the aluminum generator base plate and are difficult to just loosen. Beside that, they are not of a very high grade. They should have ether had ANTI SEEZE on them or better yet, they should have been stainless.

If I came across this problem again, I would loosen the bolts and position the generator properly, as it should have been at the factory.

My suggestion to any coach owner that fines bolts missing or the access door impossible to open, TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER and make them make it right. This is totally uncalled for.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-15-2005, 05:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well just crawled under ours and there was one missing. It is the bold that holds the generator and its base to the coach not the ones that bold the generator to the base. It was just bouncing up and down and who knows when another bolt could come off and drop the whole generator on the ground.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:43 AM   #10

ottersea,

How about calling Winnebago Customer Service 800-537-1885 and ask for Kurt or Marv and ask them what Winnebago suggest you do about getting it fixed? Then come back here and tell us what they said.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Winnie wants all four stubs removed and the bolts put in. I offered to photograph all four and they said "yes - please send photos." Just sent them off. Frankly, when I got under the MH I was not happy with what I saw. It looks to me like the gen may have shifted a bit. The bolts certainly did shear off - and this may be beause they were too tight. I have to say I am getting worried about this and have suggested to Winnie that if there is a danger in driving it, they should have someone come out and make the fix. Once again saw so much rust it is really making me wonder.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 AM   #12

Thanks Don, did winnie offer to take care of their problem, or do they expect you to do their job. Getting those studs out is a real job. I think the use of nuts, bolts and washers is a better and easier fix. And make sure to use anti-seez on the threads then make sure the access door can open.

Tomcat F15