Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Tom-NC,

The Aux switch is located on the dash in our coach. Even so, it does not function unless the motor is running and, shutting the motor down produces the same audible signal as if I had manually switched it off. I suspect that the entire house circuit is not energized on it's normal path. I know from this experience that the HWH Control panel affects some functions of which I was not aware. As an example, with the control panel disconnected the bags will not air up and the engine brake will not function (made for a rough 40 mile ride to the dealer). There may very well be other implications which could include the house batteries? Today we are getting snow and rain so I do not plan to go out to the unit but when I do I will be checking the 300 A fuse and the battery connections. Everything seems to function fine as long as the motor is running so if the problem is not one of those then it may lie in the solenoid or the battery disconnect relay. Both of these have connections to the batteries and generator so they are suspect.

I did try to start the generator from the switch mounted on the set itself but clearly there was no power to it at that time as I got no response, lights or trouble codes.

Thanks, I'll continue to work through this and post when I finally get the answer!

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Well, after it turned into a decent day here in MD, I decided to go out to the coach and start at the beginning! The 300A fuse passed a continuity test and it appeared that all the connections were present so I started taking them all apart, cleaning them and remaking each battery connection. Strangely enough, when I got to the innermost house battery, I felt some slight movement on the negative side. Since this was where the inverter was tied in, I had one of those 'AH HA' moments. I tightened it down and tried the generator but got the same response as before. Disappointed I went back out to finish the positive side of the house battery bank and found the same situation on the the positive terminal of the innermost house battery. Got it clean and good and tight and suddenly the generator runs fine!

Now I have what we can only describe as very mixed feelings. On the one hand I am overjoyed to have this problem out of the way! On the other, I feel pretty stupid for having taken that long, and wasted so many peoples time, just to find loose connections!

What I got out of this was that a number of people here told me the same thing in a number of different ways. To paraphrase, many of you said that things seem to be working but I did not seem to be getting power from the house batteries. I looked at everything and even tested the batteries and all seemed OK so I immediately went looking for the worse case (to me) of a failed component. It was only when all this frustrated me to the point of scheduling back into the dealers that I finally got smart and stopped taking things at face value. All I really had to do was dance around the battery compartment with a wrench. Oh well, thanks to the advice I got here I know a lot more about how things work in that part of our MH!

My sincere thanks to all those who took the time to offer suggestions, provide diagrams and info, and just generally talk me through this issue. If I read another description of this sort of problem, I'll jump in and advise that all the battery connections be checked, with a wrench!

Thanks all,

Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Most of the good advice you recieved was learned the same way you learned. The "Hard Way" I have made many more of the same type mistakes with my rig than I would care to admit. The best advice and the hardest to follow when trouble shooting, is: DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING!! Having said that I still make the same mistake over and over and generally I get bit because of it. Glad you got it repaired.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I'm just happy that you didn't have to sign a $200 bill from the RV service shop that said "Tightened Battery Cable"

I hate when that happens.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

That's good news Russ! Is the HWH stuff working OK now or was that smoke in the wheelwell permanent damage?

That audible signal you've referred to is actually the LP detector expressing it's displeasure with you shutting off it's power. It has just enough stored power to give one last protest before it goes to sleep...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Robert. I guess I knew I was not alone in this approach but knowing that does not take the sting away. Sammie, Thanks very much for the diagrams. I knew they were available but never could find what I needed when I needed it. I ubderstand them more now.

Tomsm, The damage was permanent but all components have been replaced and since it was not under warranty, it was quite an expensive and lengthy process. The motor which drives the process is mounted to the chassis under the stairway and is accessible through the step which is hinged. It is directly wired to the chassis battery and the only way to shut it down, in my case, was to disconnect it. When it burned, all I could do was stand by with a fire extinguisher and look for flames as I did not know the above at that time.

I replaced the control panel, motor, four valves and the jack springs (jack springs were optional but I did it on the dealers recommendation). I am going to write HWH since the coach had sat unused for the last year and whatever caused the problem occurred during this period. I only found it when I went out to get it for a trip last October. I have the parts if they want to pursue the matter. I for one would be very interested in what could cause this?

Anyway, thanks all!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

BugSlayer,
Glad to hear you solved your problem with the generator. I usualy check connections at batteeries when I check electrolyte in batteries.
One other thing I do is exercise the generator once a month and all systems except for living room slide out because Rv is too close to house.It is nice to have RV at home and I get to check it often also get to wash it when it needs it.
Travel safe.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Tom-NC,
Thanks, it has been a load off my mind since working it all out. Now we are thinking of our first trip of the season. I will get to bring the coach home but cannot keep it here more than overnight. That gives me time to do a little PM and wash it up. Not being used in over a year is just wrong and the unit lets you know by stuff coming loose and breaking! DW and I are both retired as of latter part of last year so we expect to spend a lot of time in it.

Thanks for your help!