Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

can someone help me out here. i have a 2001 journey. over the weekend i was running the generator with the central air conditoiner on and my wife turned on the dryer a half hour later the generator shut off and will just crank i have a little under a half of tank of fuel witch is about 50 gallons, i referred to the owners manual for trouble shooting the problem but it was know help to me are other motor homes generator used to shut down at a quarter tank of fuel but i cant see this shuting down with about 50 still in my fuel tank anyone know what i can look for to fix the problem Thanks Ron.

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

can someone help me out here. i have a 2001 journey. over the weekend i was running the generator with the central air conditoiner on and my wife turned on the dryer a half hour later the generator shut off and will just crank i have a little under a half of tank of fuel witch is about 50 gallons, i referred to the owners manual for trouble shooting the problem but it was know help to me are other motor homes generator used to shut down at a quarter tank of fuel but i cant see this shuting down with about 50 still in my fuel tank anyone know what i can look for to fix the problem Thanks Ron.

Celebration Florida
Old 07-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ron,

What size is your generator? My Itasca has a 7500 watt Onan. Can you give us a little more info as to the size and type of generator, and what the outside temps were at the time?

If you have the EMS (Energy Management System) it would shut down other appliances if the load was too high, not the generator. It almost sounds like a dirty fuel or air filter on the generator.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

the outside temp was about 90 and i was driving about 65 mph i have the same generator you have i will check the filters thankyou for your quick reply.Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Not sure why it shut down. However, you might want to try holding the gen start button in the 'off' position for about one minute before trying to re-start it. The manual for the generator says to do this to prime the fuel filter (after changing the filter). If something caused the genset to run out of fuel, priming may help get it to restart.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Low oil will shut her down also.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

thanks for all the information i will try to prime the gen set and the anti-freeze and oil levels are ok.when i get it running i will let everyone know what the problem was,again thanks to everyone.Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 07-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

just wonted to let everyone know my generator is up and running smlranger the last thing i checked was to prime the filter like you said and it started wright up thank you very much Ron

Celebration Florida