Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Gen Set won't run but about 1 sec

Hi

I have a Winnebago Vectra 1995 w/Onan 5K .
The Governor spring attached to the gas linkage is disconnected and I can't seem to find a way to remove the front cover to access it. Also, can't access the spark plugs. Does this mean the engine has to be removed from the RV?
Any suggestions?

Thks

Tony
nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Tony. Welcome to the forum. I tried to find some info for you on the web but did not see what i was looking for. Where is your genset located? If it is in a side compartment I think your worst fear might be your only option. If the plugs are that isolated then there is a good chance a tuneup very needed. Is this a LP or gasoline engine? Do you have the maintenance/repair manual from Onan? That is a good reference to always have on hand. I may have worked on this genset many years ago. We had some for emergency power usage in certain applications where I worked.

I wish I could be of more help.

Rick
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No, Tony, it doesn't. I have an Emerald 5500 and the front cover is held in place by two grommets just below the top edge. Pull on that edge and the cover comes away and can then be lifted off the lower edge.

There's an Onan maintenance and repair manual on line, which I took a copy of. I'll look up the URL and pass it on in a day or two.

My generator coughs and bangs for a couple of seconds while I'm running the starter motor, then it quits and gives the code "insufficient cranking speed" - useless POS.

My problem stems from having cardiac surgery just before Christmas a couple of years ago and I couldn't get out to the rig to do the monthly run. The Onan documentation says not to use ethanol treated gas, but when the generator runs off the vehicle's main tank, how can you not?

We rarely use the generator, and it appears the original owners didn't either. At 11 years old, it only has 52 hours on the clock. We'll have to get it fixed before we sell the rig in three years or so, but it's not high on my "to-do" list.

I suspect that I'll be buying a replacement carburetor, which I hope will be ethanol tolerant, but I'm not holding my breath! I don't have a warm feeling that Onan have left the 1960's yet.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Nails: In my 1990 Class A Warrior the Genset was mounted on a large steel tray that goes across the bottom of the generator. I would think by 1995 it would have been similar? The back of the tray is hinged to the frame (crawl under to make sure). There are a couple of bolts (1/2 inch socket) that go through the lower front of the tray just inside the access hatch, and also had one bolt on the right side corner. Place a suitable jack under the genset tray to take off a little of the load and remove these bolts. You must disconnect and plug fuel line, fuel pump wiring, starter cable (disconnect from battery first - found out the hard way), and a ground wire if I remember correctly prior to dropping the genset all the way down. Look for anything else connected that doesnt have enough slack to allow you to drop the unit down lower. Some of the wires are easier to disconnect as you lower the unit. On mine the whole thing hinges down at an angle to give you access to most areas from under the vehicle. When raising it back up pay attention to the wire bundles to avoid pinching anything. Good Luck! It was a fairly simple DIY process.
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Much better answers than mine!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I don't know if it's the same issue but the genset in mg 01 Adventurer would start and shut down after a sec. It flashed a code that said "low crank speed". Seemed funny because it started. Took it to get repaired and it was the control board. About a $400 part.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tony, being 1995 I'll assume you have an Emerald/Marquis series. The Emerald/Marquis series gensets governor is located towards the front left side under the top cover. There are 3 bolts across the front of the top cover which you can remove and allow the top "lid" to be opened slightly for your arm to get back into it. The governor arm is just above where the oil filter is located right on top of the engine itself. The throttle/governor linkage held in place at the governor side with a plastic clamp and pin down into the governor arm. The spring attaches into the plastic clamp itself. Should you need more room for your arm to reach back in there you can remove the carb itself and gain a lot of room - there are 2 bolts holding the carb to the intake but you do NOT need to completely remove them, just loosen them as the intake manifold mating side has slotted holes for the carb bolts. Simply loosen enough to angle the bolts slightly and the carb will slide from one side to the other.. super easy.

Unfortunately, this unit does not have a fuel "prime" function by holding the STOP side of the START/STOP switch. You may want to remove the fuel line right there at the carb and aim it into a bucket and while cranking it over, make sure you are getting a good flow of fuel first.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all for your thought and information. Of course, I will try the easiest solution 1st.

Again, thanks
nails is offline   Reply With Quote