Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

gen Autostart problems -- needs to be flashed??

We recently purchased a new 2015 Suncruiser 38Q. Recently had it at the factory to correct some issues, one of which is the autostart. The generator will start properly on a signal from the AC or low battery, but will only run 10 minutes, shutdown, then immediately restart. The reason for shutdown is shown as Shorepower coming on. Changing any or all of the settings for the start criteria in the EC-30 control has no affect. The factory says Onan is aware of the problem and needs to update the software in the EC-30. This also prevents the BIM (??) from working properly and prevents the chassis battery from being charged from shorepower. Of course they cannot show me the notice from Onan, dealer eyes only stuff...

Anyone else having similar problems?? Something does not seem right.

Thanks, Jeff
j.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Maybe a call to Onan could get some info on that.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Call to Onan yields the standard reply ... please see your dealer ...

Jeff
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Contact Grover Simpson, Cummins Onan at 574 389 9510. He was very helpful when I had auto start issues. He reflashed mine at no cost except shipping from me to him. I think he actually replaced my control unit. Turn around was very fast.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the problem I USED to have.

My fix is here

(But yours is under warranty, right? I'd have it flashed if I could...)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the contact number Red, will try to get in touch with Grover today.

Td, thank you for your write up, that is exactly what I thought was happening. I looked at my wiring diagram and sure enough, the sense transformer is connected to L1 in the AC breaker panel so it will incorrectly interpret generator output as shorepower.

We are currently heading for Alaska so will probably not be able to send the EC30 anywhere until we get back. To me it looks like the software update will 'dumb down' the control so it does not look for shorepower once the generator has started. The correct answer would be to move the sense point to the correct location, but for now I will disconnect the transformer from L1 in the breaker panel so the generator never sees shorepower, this should allow the generator to run until the AC or battery charge need that caused it to start is satisfied.

Gotta love this site,

Jeff
Old 05-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I think all Grover can do is send you a control panel as the install was by Winnebago. I've had the same problem 10 minutes on the 10 seconds off repeatedly. Not good for the air conditioner or heat pump. I've been to a Cummins Coach Care and Freightliner that could not find the problem but changed the control panel, one also from Grover who is very helpful. I've gotten five panels and traded my previous with no solution.
Cummins Coach Care (Spokane, Wa) finally decided to redo the wiring but I decided that going to the GNR in two months that I would let Winnebago fix it. Winnebago was stumped and sent me to the Rally Grounds to Onan engineers. They saw the sensing of AC voltage when not plugged in. They gave me a panel and had to leave as it was the end of the Rally. Finally I happened to the FMCA Rally in Redmond, Oregon and was sent (by Onan booth) to Cummins Coach Care in Coburg, Oregon.
They were excellent, as reported by the Onan Rally booth, and found the problem. Mike and the service team worked for a couple of days. The problem, since Winnebago installed the auto start a year after I purchased the motorhome was Winnebago caused by their install. I sent a copy of the invoice to Winnebago and they refunded me $1173.70. Sure am glad to have the frustration over with.
Cummins Coburg removed the AC panel and found the transformer. "Traced AC present sense wires and found them not going to the Transfer Switch. Ran 2 new wires from Transfer Switch through chassis rail, up into cabinet/bench seat and up into washer/dryer cabinet to distribution panel. Wired to transformer and to transfer switch in bay." Also Cause " #13 and #14 AC present wires are not wired at the correct location."
Sorry for the length but it is the short version. At least this is what caused my problem.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just to update this thread, I ended going back to the factory for other work and they had received the proper control units while we were gone. Old S/W version was 3.02R5, New version 4.00R6. Also ended up replacing the BIM, everything works as it is supposed to. No changes were made to the wiring, not sure how the controller knows the difference between shore power and generator but it does. Might look into this deeper when we have more time, but with the updated software everything works.

Jeff
Old 05-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

j.smith, Have been following this thread with interest. One of those things I have not used yet but would like to know it works when I do. As soon as it warms up again I'm going to test it.
I believe the way the system works is it checks for shore power before Auto starting the generator and ignores the shore power status until the next time an Auto Start cycle is requested.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Gtrharris - that is what I thought originally but at least in my coach the incoming power is monitored all the time, if the generator is running and shore power returns, the generator will shut down once the minimum run time is satisfied. The 4.00R6 software makes it all work as described in the manuals supplied with the coach.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

j.smith, just went out and check ours and works as it should. Our EC-30 software is Version 2.12. The transfer switch on your coach is generator dominant as long as the generator is running nothing down stream of the transfer switch knows shore power is present. Looks like version 4.00R6 fixed the problem introduced in version 3.02R5.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote