Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Gremlins are invading the rig. My front TV is glitchy...gets a case of intermittent flutters. If I elect to replace it, would try a flat screen and something not as heavy. Has anyone here replaced one in a Journey and, if so, what did you use?

Also, how do you remove the oak trim around the TV?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Gremlins are invading the rig. My front TV is glitchy...gets a case of intermittent flutters. If I elect to replace it, would try a flat screen and something not as heavy. Has anyone here replaced one in a Journey and, if so, what did you use?

Also, how do you remove the oak trim around the TV?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

smlranger,
Open the cabinet on each side of the TV. There are 2 screws on each side going through the front wooden trim of the cabinets and into the TV trim. Unfortunately, the cowling that covers the underside of the TV area is also attached to the front wood trim, so you get to pop off all the screw covers and remove the screws around the bottom of the TV. Once that is done, the front trim and bottom cowling all come off as one piece.

If you have a speaker above the TV, you can unplug it after you free the trim - there's enough slack to move the trim/cowling out a bit and reach behind it to disconnect the speaker wiring. I believe others have said you can also remove the speaker before starting the trim removal....good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have upgraded my 2003 Ultimate Advantage to a 30" LCD. The secret to installing it was to remove the steel cage that held the old TV. This provided a open area for the new cabinet. I used about a $100.00 worth of 1" cherry to construct the cabinet. There are four hinges on the bottom of the enclosure that allows the TV to hinge down for servicing.

I would send a picture but I haven't figured out how to do it on this forum. If you want some pics send me an e-mail at [email protected].

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Always wondered if you could attach a hinged panel that opens up on the TV cabinet and mount a small flat panel right to the door.

This would give you another storage unit where the old TV used to be. There would be no need to remove the steel cage just figure out a way to do a top hinge on the "new" door.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I found that trying to retrofit using the steel cage made the job look like a retrofit. I removed the steel cage, then made a flat cabinet to accept the TV. This also move the TV cabinet forward and eliminated the head knocker when entering the coach.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I considered fabricating a raised-panel door and installing a LCD TV on the door. However, when I brought the new 23" LCD TV home, DW fell in love with it and it is now in our bedroom at home.

We finally found a Sharp 25" TV that fit the opening perfectly.