Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Front and rear TV do not get the same stations

In our coach we have a TV in the lounge area (30" Samsung) and one in the bedroom (20" Sharp). When we get to the campground we run a search for "over the air" digital TV stations. For some odd reason the TVs do not get the same stations. My wife and I were watching CSI in the lounge when she was getting tired and said that she would watch the rest of the program in bed. She could not get that same station. I programmed the TV to search the same over the air digital stations, but it could not get the same stations as the lounge TV. In fact, it gets about half of the stations that the lounge TV does. A search in the coach manuals did not help. There is only one TV antenna for both TVs, so what is wrong? Joe
Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I thought things would have improved in 6 years, our 2002 vs your 2008.

Yes ours also, I just rationalized it as to the sensitivity between the two brands of TVs

ours up front an RCa back a GE, normally our GE is the winner
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't have an answer, but I know a fellow with an older Adventurer whose BR TV gets many more stations than the front TV.

I have no idea why.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Your antenna feed is probably in the front of the coach. That would put a 20 to 30 ft run of cable to the rear TV and cable drops signal with length. You can try putting an amplifier on the output to the bedroom TV to boost the signal, but some TV's just aren't as good as others. I'm not saying it's the case with yours but amplifiers aren't very expensive and worth a try.

Here is one with variable gain for about $13. Put it right at the output of the source selector switch, where the signal is best, and see if things get better.

Amazon.com: Skywalker Signature Series 25dB Amplifier VHF/UHF/FM w/variable gain: Electronics

There are better ones out there but 25db should have some impact and it won't break the bank.

Dick
Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I know the feed going back to my bedroom TV has a splitter on it with a feed going to an outlet for an outside TV. You could have something like this with trouble with the splitter??
Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
doc
Winnebago Owner

Sometimes this happens in our coach. If the buttons on the box is selected as Satellite or cable or air (antenna) for both TVs I still have to go to the bedroom TV and select from the setup the source of the signal. Depending on the signal source the last time it was used, the main TV may be Sat. and the rear may still be searching for an air signal.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
In our coach we have a TV in the lounge area (30" Samsung) and one in the bedroom (20" Sharp). When we get to the campground we run a search for "over the air" digital TV stations. For some odd reason the TVs do not get the same stations. My wife and I were watching CSI in the lounge when she was getting tired and said that she would watch the rest of the program in bed. She could not get that same station. I programmed the TV to search the same over the air digital stations, but it could not get the same stations as the lounge TV. In fact, it gets about half of the stations that the lounge TV does. A search in the coach manuals did not help. There is only one TV antenna for both TVs, so what is wrong? Joe
I have the same TV's in my Winne and I have the same problem with HD channels. The front TV gets all of the HD channels and the rear TV gets none. Don't know what to tell you.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Your antenna feed is probably in the front of the coach. That would put a 20 to 30 ft run of cable to the rear TV and cable drops signal with length. You can try putting an amplifier on the output to the bedroom TV to boost the signal, but some TV's just aren't as good as others. I'm not saying it's the case with yours but amplifiers aren't very expensive and worth a try.

Here is one with variable gain for about $13. Put it right at the output of the source selector switch, where the signal is best, and see if things get better.

Amazon.com: Skywalker Signature Series 25dB Amplifier VHF/UHF/FM w/variable gain: Electronics

There are better ones out there but 25db should have some impact and it won't break the bank.

Dick
I ordered the amplifier and I'll post the results after we get it. Joe
Old 05-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Sometimes this happens in our coach. If the buttons on the box is selected as Satellite or cable or air (antenna) for both TVs I still have to go to the bedroom TV and select from the setup the source of the signal. Depending on the signal source the last time it was used, the main TV may be Sat. and the rear may still be searching for an air signal.
I have a powered antenna and it is turned on. I have also added the new Winegard UHF add-on to my Winegard Sensor Antenna. The TV in the lounge gained at least six new stations with the add-on to the Winegard, but the BR TV didn't get any new ones. I have tried three searches in the menu for over the air reception on the BR TV with no luck...analog over the air AND digital over the air AND one that is for digital and analog together. I did all the searches with the lounge TV off and also with it on. I also attempted to add the station by number, but all I get is a blue screen. The only thing my manuals say about the BR TV is that the control center in the lounge has to have the "second TV button" pushed in. It is pushed in. I'm stumped and my DW thinks that I screwed up. Joe
Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Joe

How is the reception on the 2 TV's? Are they both equally as good? The reason I asked is I had TV trouble and they finally found the Winegard selection box was wired wrong. As soon as they rewired it, the reception was great on both TV's. I don't think I have tried using the Batwing antenna since then. As I stated in a previous reply, I have the same TV's and setup as you have.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Joe

How is the reception on the 2 TV's? Are they both equally as good? The reason I asked is I had TV trouble and they finally found the Winegard selection box was wired wrong. As soon as they rewired it, the reception was great on both TV's. I don't think I have tried using the Batwing antenna since then. As I stated in a previous reply, I have the same TV's and setup as you have.
The reception is great on both TVs. The back one just gets fewer channels. The manual says that a test of the amplified antenna is to turn the amp off and the picture should degrade...it does. Amp on results in a great picture on both TVs. Joe
Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Amplifier...

Long story short...the amplifier does not do anything as far as the picture is concerned. It also does not enable the TV to receive more channels, which was my reason for buying it. I was very careful in its hookup and search for channels, but it just doesn't do a thing. I'll live with what I have...after all, they are free channels! Joe
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have the same problem. I'm going to try a second amplifier at the BR tv, or possibly at the source to the BR tv.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

My Winegard black box has a built in amplifier. Are you talking about adding another amp?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
My Winegard black box has a built in amplifier. Are you talking about adding another amp?
Yes, I tried a second amp for the rear TV as suggested in this forum. It was worth a try, but it didn't work. The antenna line is amplified just like yours. Joe
Old 05-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have the same problem. I'm going to try a second amplifier at the BR tv, or possibly at the source to the BR tv.
I tried it...it doesn't work! Joe
Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

About a year ago, I was having trouble with receiving channels on one tv, do not remember which one.. I swapped the front and back tv's at the exit of the switch box. Found the problem to move with the change. I replaced the swtich box and both tv's now receive the same channels. Mine is an older style switch box with a separate amplifier.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The switch box...

In another post it was reported that the black switch box used in the 2008 Winnebago/Itasca is no longer manufactured. I have no idea what they use now. My DW says to "forget it" because she is content with the TVs the way they are! We added that new $30 Winegard piece to our Sensor Antenna and get many more stations and a clearer picture so we are satisfied. That add-on is worth the money and installs in minutes with no tools. The first time that we tried it we received many new stations and we hadn't even cranked the antenna up yet! Joe
Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Joe - as was mentioned in an earlier post, there is a splitter in the rear TV cable to supply a signal to the outside TV. That splitter cuts the signal strength going to the rear TV in half...

If you add an amp at the rear TV (after the splitter), you may just be turning a bad signal into a strong, bad signal - if that makes any sense. If you want to make best use of the amp, it should probably be before the splitter. Probably would be best to put the amp right where the "rear TV" signal comes out of the switching box up front.

The other alternative to try, if you don't use your outside TV, is to find the splitter and remove it. I did this to ours and it made a big difference in reception at the bedroom TV. Surprisingly, the splitter was right behind the bedroom TV.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Airstream used to have a problem like that Front and Back TV's got different statiosn (This was way back in the analog days).. Well they called up the company that made their antennas and they sent out a technician, G2CWL, to fix it.. (He is a friend of mine, or was 30 years ago)

He found Electricians had wired the antenna wiring and simply spliced the wires, Not "Split" it using a proper splitter

There are many splitters on the market.. Some are not very good and can allow the two (or more) coax cable to interact.. I've seen a signal go from very strong to "Where'd it go" when a proper length coax stub was connected.. In fact. (Since the signal was interference) That is exactly what I wanted it to do at the time.

Today.. I got more stations in front than in back.. Even when I'm hooked to cable,, but that's because Damon used the cheapest coax they could find.. Some day I'll replace it but ... Alas, not ready to do that yet