Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Freedom 2000 Watt Questions

Recently, We have been experiencing problems with our 2kw inverter tripping a breaker (#2) whenever we have things like our microwave running and turning on a hair dryer. When a service provider came to work on something else, I asked him why this is happening. He told me that only one of the two breakers were hooked up. Is there a logical explanation for this? We also have no 120V outlets inside that are active other than from the pedestal feed or inverter.
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2wander View Post
Recently, We have been experiencing problems with our 2kw inverter tripping a breaker (#2) whenever we have things like our microwave running and turning on a hair dryer.
free2wander
The reason the circuit breaker on your inverter trips when you attempt to run your microwave and a hair dryer simultaneously is because a microwave and hair dryer combined draw more amps than the breaker protecting the circuit they're plugged into can handle without tripping.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Microwave 1000-1500 watts (depending on size)
Hair dryer 1000-1500 watts (depending on size)

Drawing at minimum 2000 watts, likely much higher. To know for sure what the power draw is you need to read the tag for each unit.

Your inverter is not big enough to run those two devices at once.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Don't understand the 2nd question, what is other than the pedestal and inverter?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Recently, We have been experiencing problems with our 2kw inverter tripping a breaker (#2) whenever we have things like our microwave running and turning on a hair dryer. When a service provider came to work on something else, I asked him why this is happening. He told me that only one of the two breakers were hooked up. Is there a logical explanation for this? We also have no 120V outlets inside that are active other than from the pedestal feed or inverter.
Here's the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach. Looking at that you can see what's on each circuit, how big the breakers are, etc.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It seems everyone missed the point, or i simply was not clear. I have a 40 footer that has a 50 amp system, The Microwave is on a separate breaker of its own. I have found only one outlet (my TV in front) that is run through the inverter. Yet, when I use a hair dryer in the bathroom (1KW) and the microwave, (900 W) at the same time, neither of which is supposed to work through the inverter, the upper breaker on the Freedom 458 trips. There is no feed at all to the other breaker on the inverter. BTW I am fully cognisant of how Ohm's Law works. The fact is, that my motorhome can handle 50 amps. I am simply trying to figure out how the inverter is tripping when neither of the two circuits are running through it. Also why would one of the two breakers be bypassed on the inverter?
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
It seems everyone missed the point, or i simply was not clear. I have a 40 footer that has a 50 amp system, The Microwave is on a separate breaker of its own. I have found only one outlet (my TV in front) that is run through the inverter. Yet, when I use a hair dryer in the bathroom (1KW) and the microwave, (900 W) at the same time, neither of which is supposed to work through the inverter, the upper breaker on the Freedom 458 trips. There is no feed at all to the other breaker on the inverter. BTW I am fully cognisant of how Ohm's Law works. The fact is, that my motorhome can handle 50 amps. I am simply trying to figure out how the inverter is tripping when neither of the two circuits are running through it. Also why would one of the two breakers be bypassed on the inverter?

Wiring diagram pretty clear, lots is routed thru the inverter circuit and it appears that the bypass switch that allows the current to flow past the inverter when attached to shore power is not working.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
It seems everyone missed the point, or i simply was not clear. I have a 40 footer that has a 50 amp system,
The Microwave is on a separate breaker of its own. I have found only one outlet (my TV in front) that is run through the inverter.

Yet, when I use a hair dryer in the bathroom (1KW) and the microwave, (900 W) at the same time, neither of which is supposed to work through the inverter, the upper breaker on the Freedom 458 trips. There is no feed at all to the other breaker on the inverter. BTW I am fully cognisant of how Ohm's Law works. The fact is, that my motorhome can handle 50 amps. I am simply trying to figure out how the inverter is tripping when neither of the two circuits are running through it. Also why would one of the two breakers be bypassed on the inverter?
free2wander
On many RVs the incoming 120VAC power, (whether shore or generator), passes through the inverter on its way to the receptacles in the RV.

When you try to draw to many amps from the recepticals the circuit breakers on the inverter trip...(on your RV whether or not the receptacles can be powered by the inverter may make no difference).
Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

According to the wiring diagram (posted earlier) everything in the coach except for the washer/dryer, water heater, fridge, and vacuum is powered by (and goes through) the inverter.

On edit: Of course, the A/C also isn't powered by the inverter.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
. Also why would one of the two breakers be bypassed on the inverter?
free2wander
The answer to that question is: NOBODY KNOWS.
I agree that Winnebago should have, (could have), wired your recepticals differently/better.
However all RV manufacturers do things that make no sense... (it's not just Winnebago).