Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

? for 33V owners on digital converter:

Sorry for dragging this topic out again. I finally decided to install the digital converter for my TV’s. I did a search and found a lot of info but none specifically for the 33V Suncruiser or Adventure.

I took the DVD out and everything is wired to it except the antenna. I have the box for switching to TV or whatever mode but can’t find how to get to it. It is embedded into the wall above the DVD. There are a couple of screws that seem to hold part of the wall in place. I don’t want to just start taking screws out without knowing the consequences.

I think the installation would be antenna into the digital converter and a cable goes from the digital converter to the switch box that runs the cable to the TV and the TV to the DVD. AAAGGGGHHHH.

So any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Technically I still live in the 60’s.

Thanks
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I will make it very simple for you... With the exception of one cable, and this cable is attched to the television (that's one cable per TV) forget everything

On the back of the TV is a cable that is hooked to the ANTENNA jack.. Disconnect this cable (NOTE you can disconnect either end of this cable if the other end is easier to get at)

Make sure your converters have ANALOG PASS THROUGH, one such coupon eligible converter is the DTV-PAL Plus which is, last I checked, in the center of the link,, This unit has a lot of features others lack, like the ability to program FIVE events (Channel changes) it also lets you scan, turn antenna, scan turn scan, always remembering the last scan(s)

The hook up goes like this === is coax cable

Rest of Rig====converter====Television

Do this for each television and for the VCR as well if you have one

Very simple, And for the record these directions apply to ALL rigs

rest of rig===converter===vcr===video swicth
Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks wa8yxm. That's sounds simple enough. The part I think I dread the most is trying to get to the antenna cable without taking the TV out. I'm going to try and get to the antenna cable in back of the TV through a trap door on the side of the cabinet or through the bottom cover.

The unit I have I bought Camping World last year and it doesn't have the analog pass thru feature. The brand is the same as the antenna, Winegard. Is this brand any good?

Thanks again
Tom
Old 07-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You must have pass through. Get another coupon and find a convertor with the pass through feature or u will mess up the dvd and vcr signals coming down to the TV.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Ray View Post
You must have pass through. Get another coupon and find a convertor with the pass through feature or u will mess up the dvd and vcr signals coming down to the TV.
Hi Ray. Could you please elaborate on the pass thru feature and how it affects the other signals?

I already have 2 winegard digital to analog converter box I bought at Camping world last year. I can't even return them. If necessary I’ll purchase a new one. Ouch.

Thanks for your patience,
Tom
Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Each device (dvd, vcr etc) that has a switch on the control panel switches to the TV imput coax cable. The same one u are going to put the converter box on. The box is looking to convert any signal coming down from digital to analog (unless u have the pass through feature), now the DVD and VCR are already analog so it can not process this signal...... must be digital unless it has pass through where the dvd vcr can be passed through without conversion. I think u will have to have the power on the converter box to pass through the analog signals.....plus some areas that are remote may still be analog broadcasting stations, these must see a path to the TV with out conversion too. It might be possible to put the converter on the antenna coax before the switching box so the Tv digital signals come converted before the switch, but then u will never be able to pickup those remote weak station analog signals (no big deal). I hope this helps, it is the best i can explain it.

Ford V10
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just thought of a possible problem with hooking the converter box up to the antenna lead. Bad idea! The booster antenna power amp might burn out the converter box because of the voltage (not sure). Just go behind the TV and us the TV input jack with a pass through feature on the converter box. You might be able to get the other end of the cable in the switching cabinet before it drops down to the TV set if that works better for you. I suppose you might be able to use an A /B switch at that point and adapt it to switch from antenna output or vcr output. Cost about $20 bucks. Makes me think to hard and its midnight here in the west coast.

Ford V10
Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I went thru a lot of scrap paper when I added my DTV converter. How your system ends up will be dictated a lot by your viewing desires. We normally watch & or record sat, and have single receiver, so only 1 channel at a time. I removed the VCR & added dvd recorder (ours does not have rf output). Our Wineguard switching center is located in the cabinet above passenger, which is also where I put the dvd recorder, dtv converter & rf converter.

-My roof top antenna cable was left in place on the switching center. This allows me to power it, and switch analog signal to front or back tv as previous. This signal does not go to dvd recorder.

-I split the rf signal from the sat rcvr , 1 to dvd recorder & 1 to sat input on switch center. This allows me to watch sat on either/both tvs, and record on dvd.

-I ran the rooftop ant rf output from the vcr position on the switch center (this used to go to the input of the vcr), to the dtv converter input.

-The rf output of the dtv converter goes to the aux input of the switch center. This allows dtv signal to go to either or both tvs.

-The rca outputs from the dtv converter go to the dvd recorder, which allows me to record dtv. But have never done this.

-I added an rf converter that takes the rca output from the dvd recorder and outputs an rf signal which I connected to the vcr position on the switch center (used to receive signal from old vcr). This allows me to watch dvd recorder on either/both tvs. Also allows me to monitor show being recorded.

Sounds complicated, but all cabling was done in the one cabinet. This install also replicates what we have been used to previously, tv's get 1 signal from 1 source. I could get by without the rf converter if my dvd recorder had this capability, but it doesn't. The first recorder I used did, but the sat remote would always change it, and the unit was too big to move from the driver side (where the sat rcvr is) to the other side. So bought the new rcdr, without even thinking about it not having rf converter. It has rf passthru, but only output when playing a dvd is the rca jacks.

Now that I've muddied up the waters more, have a great day.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Make it easy on yourself. I have an 07 Suncruiser like you - my advise - take it to your dealer and let them do it right the first time. Not that expensive and whole lot easier than us electronically challenged owners trying to do it ourselves.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The fast and dirty way.

Go to Walmart & buy a flat amplified hdtv antenna (~ $40).

Open the cabinet above the drivers seat. Set the antenna on the shelf, & Plug the antenna booster into the 120V & the Antenna into the SAT jack.

Open the cabinet above the passengers seat. Select SAT as the signal input.

Go ahead and watch TV. If the reception is iffy hang the antenna out the window.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi Tom, took your advice and took it to my mech. He quoted 4 hours to install front and rear digital converter at $88.00/hr. or $352.00 plus tax. Ha

Sooo I'm taking motohomers advice and going to Walmart. We really don''t watch TV that much. I'd rather wait and try and do it myself or buy a small portable TV and keep it for emergencies.

Tom
Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

WOOPS!!!

I forgot to mention the connection of the HD converter box between the antenna & the SAT connector.

FYI: The last day to apply for a converter coupon is July/31/2009.
Do it now if you need um.
https://www.dtv2009.gov/