Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fog lights

Here is a short video of what I've been working on. In case you didn't know, your coach is already prewired for fog lights or running lights. There should be two blank plugs hanging inside the front compartment. To turn them on, push the headlight switch and it powers up these plugs. The ignition key must be in the on position.

2014 Forza 38R
Attached Files
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds interesting. Unluckily, I could not get the video to load. Has anyone got it to work?
Old 02-21-2017, 03:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Tried yesterday, didn't work, worked this morning.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about the video, I don't know why it didn't upload right. If you notice on the front of the coach, two vertical lines. That's to mark the inside where the bracket is glued to the back of the fiberglass. The vertical line on the bottom is to make sure I had a straight edge so the lights were installed correctly. Here is a photo of the front end. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	152506  
Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They look like they were installed by Winnebago. Good job! Have you tried them at night? How did you aim them?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes I have . Since these lights are flush mount and fit in just one way there is no adjustment for movement .where I have them you will not be disappointed on where they are mountain . even if I never turn the Fog lights on I know that I have them .At night this 30 watt spot lights are all you need. Go to eBay put in flush mount LED lights make sure you put in flush mount . Now to light up the grab handle
Old 02-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Anything else that you can tell us about your installation experience? What did you do to cut the holes? Did you line the lights with caulk? How did you connect the lights to the two Cables? Locktite on the mounting bolts? Any hints or help here will be a reference for the future...
Old 02-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about the video, I don't know why it didn't upload right. If you notice on the front of the coach, two vertical lines. That's to mark the inside where the bracket is glued to the back of the fiberglass. The horizontal line on the bottom is to make sure I had a straight edge so the lights were installed correctly. Here is a photo of the front end. What do you think?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzatm View Post
Here is a short video of what I've been working on. In case you didn't know, your coach is already prewired for fog lights or running lights. There should be two blank plugs hanging inside the front compartment. To turn them on, push the headlight switch and it powers up these plugs. The ignition key must be in the on position.

2014 Forza 38R
ForzaTM -

Looks like you reposted your second response instead of providing additional details on your installation. I am planning on following your lead, so any additional details on what it takes to do the install would be most helpful. In particular, where are the "two plugs" located at? Did you use them and buy matching mates or do something else to connect the lights? How did you cut the Fiberglass? Did you seal the lights with caulk or glue them in?

Any other details would be much appreciated for future documentation!!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The two fog lights are flush mount. Once the holes are cut, when you put your lights in the holes, there are 4 holes on the lights that you must drill out. I used quarter inch bolts, one inch long, Allen head bolts with a washer and lock nut on the back side.

As far as cutting the two holes, you must first make a template which I made out of cardboard by laying the light flat down on the cardboard and tracing around it. You must make your measurements on the back side of the light to measure the hole size on your template. After i figured out where the lights should be installed, tape your template to the front of your coach. I used blue masking tape. Refer to my video to see where I put the blue tape. The two vertical lines that run straight up are marking the brackets that are glued on the back side so you don't cut your holes too close to the brackets. After you have your square holes marked, outline it with blue tape so you don't damage the paint. Once you have all that figured out, I used a jigsaw to cut the fiberglass; use a metal blade, not a wood blade.

The two plugs are zip tied inside the front compartment. I will send you a photo of the plug so you know what it looks like. I cut the plugs off and hard wired it. The green wire is the power wire and the other wire is ground.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Here is a picture of the plug when you are standing in front of your coach .you are looking for is on the left side and right side zip tied to the frame rail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	152984  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just got those same lights in for our motorhome. Hope to install them when the snow is gone.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

My coach came WITH fog lights, Which by the way did NOT require the ignition be on.. But that's up to the body builder.

one broke, one Burned out... I have yet to put in the replacements.

Got two Retangular fog lights from WISH.COM.. Caution follows.. 18 bucks and they are 18 watt CREE LED's per the blurb.. I doubt they are Genuine CREEs but.. Well, that ought to light up the fog
I have a 1200 lumen (That's about 100 watt incandesceant) CREE LED (Genuine) flashlight.... measured the draw.. 3 watts.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I am thoroughly confused. It looks to me like the RV already HAS fog lights. Those assemblies that look slightly orangish, at the bottom of those two rows of headlights, aren't those fog lamps? Looks like there's already 6 headlights. High beam, low beam, and fog. Isn't that what those are?

Curious.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I am thoroughly confused. It looks to me like the RV already HAS fog lights. Those assemblies that look slightly orangish, at the bottom of those two rows of headlights, aren't those fog lamps? Looks like there's already 6 headlights. High beam, low beam, and fog. Isn't that what those are?

Curious.
I don't see any front turn signals - I suspect that's what those orange lights are for.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Actually the bottom orange lights are courtesy lights and not fog lights. They are pretty but not very functional. As noted by the OP, Freightliner puts in the wiring harness for fog lights and tie wraps each lead to the chassis cross bar. I am trying to identify the actual socket that mates with the supplied plug, but haven't had any success so far.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The plug is normally plugged directly into the bulb. You most likely wont find a mating connector for it. I cut mine off on my jeep and wired directly to the new FOG lights using heat shrink butt splices.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Can you re-post your video? I'd like to see how you did this. The original video won't play. Thanks
GearyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I could only get the video to play on a Windows machine and not on a Mac. Also, Kb2ztx is correct. The Plugs are left-over and obsolete. Freightliner says that there is no long a mating Socket for it, so cut them off and hardwire.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

This is for 38R and the 34 Winnebago Forza.for those who do not understand the top lights High beam low beam turn signal.the led light at the bottom can only be turned on when the motor is off it's like a porch light "courtesy light . I do not understand why the video will not play it will play on my iMac but not my tablet so I will try to submit another video . I cannot find the right plug for a connection for the fog lights so I end up cutting the plug and hardwiring it to the fog lights .

Tags
light, lights