Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
doc
Winnebago Owner

Fog light lens is gone.
I found the first one that fell off while at Moccasin Creek in N Georgia mountains several months ago. Repaired it without a lot of trouble. Today we were doing some work inside the coach and when I came outside I noticed the other lens is missing. The housing and bulb portion is still in place. I have no idea where it fell off at, but someplace between home and Clewiston, Florida.
Coach is a 2000 Itasca Horizon DP. Where do I find a lens, ...or am I going to have to replace the whole thing? Dealer? Factory? or the dealership in Forest City?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
doc
Winnebago Owner

Fog light lens is gone.
I found the first one that fell off while at Moccasin Creek in N Georgia mountains several months ago. Repaired it without a lot of trouble. Today we were doing some work inside the coach and when I came outside I noticed the other lens is missing. The housing and bulb portion is still in place. I have no idea where it fell off at, but someplace between home and Clewiston, Florida.
Coach is a 2000 Itasca Horizon DP. Where do I find a lens, ...or am I going to have to replace the whole thing? Dealer? Factory? or the dealership in Forest City?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would call Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City ... 800-343-6255
Old 03-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Doc
It must be a defect with those 2000 fog lights because I had one fall off when I came to a stop in front of a campground office a few years ago. I put mine back together too and was so glad it fell off when it did. Never did check on a replacement so I will make a note of what you find out with this post.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

I called Lichtsinn Motors (Man it is hard for an ole country boy to get a tongue around that name!!) this AM and talked to Lonnie. Very helpful as for as information goes. It turns out my fears were to come true. There is no seperate lens for the fog light. The whole thing comes as a unit. He checked and the factory still has some in stock. It ships tomorrow AM. ($59 and come change plus shipping
'course no one ever said RVing was cheap!!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Doc

Were I you, as part of my installation of the new fog light, I would ensure the lens has sufficient silicone glue/caulk applied to hold it in place!! ...either that, or tie a little basket under the light to catch the lens next time it falls off
Old 03-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
gMw
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth..

I seldom drive at night, once or twice a year, and don't drive in fog at all. For fun, I tried the fog lights one night while parked and wasn't impressed with the light they put out..

This year I have a fall trip planned that might require night driving. My plan is to replace the fog lights with driving lights, already purchased. I'll keep them aimed fairly low, but high enough to light up the road ahead, basically setting the range the same or just ahead of the low beams.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
doc
Winnebago Owner

Already have plans to fix the problem before it starts. Like Jim Bob said, I believe there may be a manufacturing problem with the light. It looks like there was some sort of cement of something holding the lens on the body of the light. When the first fell off I checked the other one and it was still secure.
I don't drive much at night either, but I want the MH to look right.

Back the late 50's and early 60's there were wire 'basket' looking covers on the head lamps of MG sport cars. That would keep it from hitting the ground if it falls off again. Gotta look into that possibility
Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had one of the lights on my 2000 Adventurer 35U snape off in my hand one day the plastic was just old I replaced both of them with new driving/fog lights because my low beam headlights are useless they are great for checking out the birds in the trees or for signaling airplanes but for driving they are way out of wack so the driving lights are what I use to drive at night with.

look like its was just the items that they used in 2000 that are bad.

Mark
Old 03-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just an FYI....

The fog light is a Hella light, originally put on a 1969 Mustang. I have replaced mine with an aftermarket version which was much cheaper, but got the results of a cheaper product. Just replaced them again with light purchased from winnebagoparts.com, and they seem like a better light, and fit tighter in the holder. I have looked for a better aftermarket light (driving light) to replace them, but haven't found a 5 inch light. Would be interested what anybody has found!
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi Doc,
You didn't say how you repaired the first lens that came off.
When mine came off I used silicone and then I took some clear duct-tape and went around the seam, that has been a few years ago and so far so good. Tomorrow I am gong to run some tape around the other one. I did like the idea of the little basket though.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
doc
Winnebago Owner

Jim Bob, that is exactly what I did. Ran a strip of black electrical tape around the lens and light body. There is a metal clip (not sure how do describe it) that snapped over the top and locked it in place.
Tape works pretty well and can hardly be seen.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Doc
I stand corrected on the tape I used, It was the clear packing tape with the string running through it. It is some strong stuff and you can't see it unless you knew it was there. I pulled the other one off yesterday and checked it out. It seemed to be okay but now I feel better with the tape on it too. Hate to pay $50 for another one.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

If I had a lite that I know will proably loose the lens unless I modify it I don't think I would spend $50 to replace it.There must be other things available.
Bob
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:42 AM   #15
doc
Winnebago Owner

Of course you're right. I just want to keep it looking the same on both sides. When the new light arrives I will make sure the lens does not fall off again.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
doc
Winnebago Owner

UPS brought the new light today. I cannot believe they charged $50 for something as simple as this light. It is an improvement over the old light but...good grief!! There is not much to the whole thing.
Installed and it is working. Looks like a better grade of glue holding the lense to the body of the light.
Made in China!! Reckon Wally World had them in stock?