Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fluorescent fixture issue

I have 2 fixtures in the living area that are trimmed out in wood. Typically the plexiglass lens would be small enough to maneuver to get it out to get to the lamps. Does anyone know if I have to remove the wood trim to get to these? The coach is 05 Winnebago Vectra WKS40AD.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Gently squeeze on the translucent lens from one side and tilt it down and out. There groves on each side that the lens fit into. Do the same in reverse to put it back in.

The screws that hold the simulated wood plastic trim are under the lens.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Earl. I have not been able to accomplish as of yet. I've been an electrician for forty years now and have worked on how many hundreds of indoor fluorescents and the way you described is same as pretty much all of those. Just did not want to break anything.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
I have 2 fixtures in the living area that are trimmed out in wood. Typically the plexiglass lens would be small enough to maneuver to get it out to get to the lamps. Does anyone know if I have to remove the wood trim to get to these? The coach is 05 Winnebago Vectra WKS40AD.
I had a '05 40FD. Pop the wooden screw caps off and remove the screws. Not as bad as it seems.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If it is like my 08 Vectra, then pop the 6 wood buttons out and unscrew the 6 screws while supporting the wooden framework. I believe the tubes are 36" pin to pin.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. I tried the routine of removing the plexiglass. No way. Removed the button caps. No big deal. Was the way I kind of thought it would have to happen. Just used to a different method.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I tried the routine of removing the plexiglass. No way. Removed the button caps. No big deal. Was the way I kind of thought it would have to happen. Just used to a different method.
Will, are you going with LED replacements? I don't have any fluoresents in this coach but I did change to LED of the 4100-4200K color range. What a world of difference. Things are nice and bright now. You can get this frequency in a fluorescent bulb too.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We are not sure what we are going to do yet. This is our first motorhome and unfortunately I came to this site after buying. We are waiting to meet with a mobile tech who comes highly recommended in our area to see what we have to spend to get the coach in a condition we can live with. I'm thinking of a whole new design on the fluorescent lighting. Something we will more than likely build ourselves to give the coach a more modern appearance. Thank you as usual to all those who have chimed in. This forum saves me a lot of hours.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We are not sure what we are going to do yet. This is our first motorhome and unfortunately I came to this site after buying. We are waiting to meet with a mobile tech who comes highly recommended in our area to see what we have to spend to get the coach in a condition we can live with. I'm thinking of a whole new design on the fluorescent lighting. Something we will more than likely build ourselves to give the coach a more modern appearance. Thank you as usual to all those who have chimed in. This forum saves me a lot of hours.
I'm not certain what you mean by "modern". When you start your remodel please take pictures and post them here for us to follow. No telling how you my inspire a fellow land yachter.

Just a word of advise from personal experience. Examine, and replace as needed, the nylon pucks that the slide ram rides on. Also, keep a close eye on the basement hanger bolts. These have a nasty habit of breaking. Don't put too much weight in the basement and distribute it as evenly as is piratical. I had a few bad experiences with the drivers side main slide on my '05 40FD. Hope you get many years of good service out of your rig.

Happy trails,
Rick Y