Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Floppy generator exhaust pipe

My Onan exhaust pipe makes a light thumping noise when I'm driving in moderate to big wind. At rest, when I grab it, I can pull it up or down several inches. The dealer told me it is supposed to move a bit as some kind of "anti-vibration shock absorber thing," but I'm not buying it, unless a bunch of you guys tell me it's true. Problem is, I can't find a way to get to the manifold or connection to see if it's broke or loose or what, as the space is too tight. Anyone know how to access this thing from underneath or through a compartment or by reaching past the generator? I can't seem to find a path. Thanks
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Mine has quite a bit of movement on it also. I also could not find a way to check the upper end to see if there was a break or loose connection. The generator seems to run real well and had not gotten any worse for the year and a half that I have owned the rig.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Its not a solid mount, theres a flex pipe between the tail pipe and the manifold.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My genny exhaust broke in two places this summer. Broke right at the manafold flange and futher down the line. Had it fixed at Forrest City. It had to be dropped out in order to be fixed. Hope it does not break, as the repair was not cheap.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The standad pipe-manufold connection is indeed spring loaded and thus can move about a bit

On my Damon... There is a standard exhaust pipe support bracket near the "end" of the pipe.

NOTE: I can not recommend adding such a bracket.. Since I do not know the specifications of your install.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys - I'm hearing that the movement is "okay", but I am bothered by the thumping/rattling noises. Guess I'll figure out a connector to anchor it to the frame. Also, I would think that if my pipe was broken at the manifold, there would be an abnormally loud exhaust noise, but my genset sounds normal. Becks, if you have a moment, did yours make any louder noises after it broke? I'm not sure about all this yet, but I thank you much for your comments
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Ok, I had a thump when mine would shut down and I found one of the springs that the unit sits on wasn't secured in it's holder. I recall just taking a screwdriver and snapping it in. Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Mine has a thump both when it starts and when it stops. Have tried to be under the unit while the wife shuts it off but can't tell where the thump is coming from or what might be causing it. It happens so quick I can't see anything.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote