Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #61
Winnebago Owner

It's a Maxxum chassis thing . . . Vectra, Horizon, Tour, Ellipse only, AFAIK.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #62
Winnebago Master

This applies to the 'Evolution' chassis as well, which includes Vectra and Horizon starting in 2004 and Tour and Ellipse as well up until the 'Maxxum' chassis came in in 2008.

On edit: Correct date for Maxxum chassis

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #63
Winnebago Master

Maxxum chassis came out in 2008. My chassis is not a maxxum.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #64
Winnebago Master

Just another data point:

I just had my Ellipse serviced at the Oasis center in Tolleson, Az and asked them about a fix for the slow fill problem. They called FL and confirmed that my chasis needs "a kit" rather than the new fuel tank. They confirmed it was available near my home so I could arrange to have it updated when I return home.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:04 AM   #65
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RickO:
Just another data point:

I just had my Ellipse serviced at the Oasis center in Tolleson, Az and asked them about a fix for the slow fill problem. They called FL and confirmed that my chasis needs "a kit" rather than the new fuel tank. They confirmed it was available near my home so I could arrange to have it updated when I return home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder why your 07 only needs a kit while my 07 needed a tank? I realize the floorplans are different but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. I guess it could be the difference in the Ellipse vs Vectra. Maybe you should talk to FL personally.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #66
Winnebago Owner

Just a update on my tank replacement now that I was able to take the MH down to TN/NC for a few days right after Thanksgiving.

My first fill up back in October (right after replacement) went like a dream on the drivers side. After driving some and filling up once or twice, the deisel shot back out of the filler tube worse than ever before. I was covered in fuel. After checking the driver's vent tube, I saw that it went down from the fill opening through the frame. Then it went up to the top of the tank looking alot like the trap under your bathroom sink. My thought is that fuel is caught in the 'trap' of the vent tube allowing NO air to escape the tank.

The passenger side fill tube goes right into the tank and does not have this problem. That side fills GREAT and I have been using that side exclusively.

I will call FL to see if they have a fix to the drivers side as I suspect my local FL shop did not install the vent tube correctly.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #67
Winnebago Owner

It is still beyond my comprehention as to why Freighliner will pay for labor but Winnebago will not pay for the parts. This design defect was complained about right from the start. I, for one, is very disappointed with the customer service.
Don,WIT 70041
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #68
Winnie-Wise

Same situation here. I have a Horizon and my problem was documented during my warranty period THREE times. The first documented complaint was on a dealer work order, the second time on a work order at a Freightliner Dealer and a third time in Forest City on a work order!!! FCCC has stepped up to the plate as the paper trail was pretty evident and is offering to provide free labor to rectify the problem. Winnebago however says sorry you are now out of warranty, never mind that it was brought up and never resolved during warranty. I just don't understand Winnebago anymore. I always held Winnebago in high regard. Apparently they have chosen to survive the economic down turn in the short term and loose their hard earned and good customers for future business. I thought that my problem was clearly documented. I hope that Winnebago step up to plate yet and pleasantly surprises me.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #69
Winnebago Owner

I looked at this discussion a while back and made a call to fl and was told that the tank was ok and the fill tube was a winne supplied part and needed to get the part from winne and they would do the install as good will.
I called winne back and the rep was out and I left my number to have him call. Well I'm still waiting. I agree, winne is just not stepping up to support their customer base.
I got busy on some other project and just got back to the issue.

My question for the folks that have had the filler tube replaced is: has is solved the problem and can one do the same thing with some hose and aluminun tube and hose clamps?

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #70
Winnebago Owner

Here's an update on my fuel tank replacement. In my last post I said how the fuel sprayed all over me when I was filling up the tank (after tank replacement).

I took it back to my local Freightliner dealer and they found that the vent was kinked at the top of the tank. They called Gaffney who instructed them on the proper routing of the vent OVER the frame instead of through the frame.

Filled up after the fix with NO problems. Going down to VA for the weekend so we'll see how it goes with more fill ups.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #71
Winnebago Camper

After putting up with this for about six months I decided to see if i could find the problem. I removed the storage compartment floor above the tank. fun job it is sealed down. after removing the screws and cutting the seal on the floor i was able to get to the top of the tank without dropping the tank. screwed in the top of the tank is anelbow fitting with a small float and a 1/4 inch hose coming off and down over the side of the tank. replaced all this with a brass pipe nipple and elbow with a hose fitting for heater hose.ran hose to the front and up as high as possible and then turned it down and installed a screen on end. now i can pull in the truck bay and fully fill without it kicking off. well worth the trouble
Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #72
Winnebago Master

Portablejohn, any chance of a picture?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #73
Winnebago Camper

no chris at the time the last thing on my mind was pictures. i thought later about them. i saw pictures of the top of the tank in a thread if i can remember where. i still have the fitting that i removed from the tank. i could get a picture of that.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #74

We had the tank replaced at FL in Tolleson, AZ in February under warranty. (Our coach was purchased in Dec. 2008 and warranties started then.) We were told that the vapor vent was improperly located on the side of the tank and when fuel reached it, it shut down. The new tank, we were told, has the vent on the top of the tank which allows more fuel to enter. We were told that the fuel light will come on at 25 gallons.

CoolJudy
2007 Horizon 40TD
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #75
Winnebago Camper

Sounds great but do I have to go to Gaffney to get it done?
DNLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #76
Winnebago Owner

Hello Portablejohn,

I have the same problem that you have fixed.
My 04 Journey takes forever to fill.
I would like to use your solution. Can you help with the following questions?

What is a “small float”?
What length of heater hose was required?
Why did you run the hose “as high as possible and then turning it down” (what was the reason for this?)
What was the screen size? Was this to prevent bugs or debris?
Do you get diesel fumes from the screen end of the hose?

looking forward to your reply and thanks for sharing your creative solution,

regards,
jim & debbie and 2 cockerspaniels
04 Journey
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNLRV View Post
Sounds great but do I have to go to Gaffney to get it done?
If you were asking about getting the tank replaced, call your local Freightliner service center, give them your VIN, and if your unit is eligible, ask the service manager to order it ahead of time. When we arrived for the installation, it was already there. They emptied the fuel from the tank into a storage area, and replaced it following the installation. It was a one-day project and we were traveling at the time and just spent the time at their hook-ups.
Judy
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #78
Winnebago Camper

I believe you removed the rollover valve while doing your fix.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #79
Winnebago Camper

the filltube and vents are at 3/4 the way up on the tank so there is a vent valve in the top of the tank. the problem is it is only a 1/4 hose. it also has a plastic float in it that prevents fuel from going the vent. it take forever for the air to vent thru this small hose. i removed the vent valve and replaced it with a brass 1/2 pipe nipple and elbow. jim i don,t remember how much hose. i ran it as high as possible to prevent fuel from goming out this hose. i turned the end down to prevent debris from falling in and entering the tank. mike you are probably right. i may have to come up with a fix for that. right now i'm working on the engine battery problem. john
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #80
Winnebago Owner

Thanks portablejohn for info.
good luck,

jim
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote