Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

First Timer - Looking at purchacing a 27N

I'm looking at a 2015 Itasca Sunstar 27N. I think it hits the sweet spot for length for a first time RV purchase for my wife and I and haven't seen anything else with the counter space which is its big draw for me.

For those of you with a 27N:
Love it - this is the model to have
Hate it - run far far away
In between?

Would love to hear your opinions.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have the 2013 Vista 27N and really like it. It has a large amount of storage both inside and out, along with the chassis capacity to handle it. So far we have had no big problems with it. Biggest complaint is the mattress in back is too hard. A memory foam topper has helped. All in all it is a very good floor plan.

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 Vista 27N that I bought new. I like the very large amount of interior closet space and storage. It has the biggest kitchen counter I have seen in a coach this size, the pantry is huge. Good amount of basement storage too. I did get the upgraded dinette so the cushions are very comfortable. I have a small ottoman that I use for the front seats (the built-in passenger side footrest doesn’t do much.) I have had only a few problems and they were fixed quickly under warranty. A wood joint in the “box” supporting one dinette cushion opened up, fixed with wood glue and an “L” bracket. The fresh water tank would siphon down to 1/3 when driving, the overflow was routed up then down forming an upside down P trap. There was a wet spot under the vanity sink from a loose faucet connection. That’s all in 2-1/2 years and 9,000 miles. The only thing I don’t like is the silly small hole in the bottom of the compartment for the sewer hose; can’t’ get the hose through with the fittings attached.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We also have a 2013 Vista 27n, bought new Sept. 2013. 11,000 miles so far. Don't want to jinx ourselves but have not had any major troubles. Little things too insignificant to mention. My wife loves the kitchen counter space and inside closet
space and storage. Lots of outside storage, especially liking the big rear bay. Perfect for the two of us. Gets a bit crowed with 2-3 grand kids but we manage. I did add a roadmaster anti sway bar on the rear, and a safe-t-plus. It did help in handling. All in all, very leased.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone. I am going to take a look at it this weekend. Having trouble sleeping due to the anticipation of the experience.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You might think about ordering the 27N with just the options you like and want. The down side is about a four month wait for Winnebago to build your coach. The up side is that you will get a coach with only the options that you want.

You can negotiate the same price as a coach already on their lot with the exception of a coach that has been on the lot for a long time.

Another upside to ordering is that you should be able to get the new 2016 F-53 Ford chassis with the six speed transmission. I just ordered and received a 2016 33C that came on the 2016 F-53 Ford chassis. So far the engine has only reved up to 4,300 RPMs when changing gears with max throttle or when climbing. My 2006 F-53 would scream at 5,300 RPMs. On our 2006 coach I would disengage cruise control when climbing and manually climb at 4,000 to 4,500 RPMs. I'm liking the six speed transmission.

You have eight choices of interior and exterior colors. The Winnebago 27N will have four interior and four exterior designs. Interiors and exteriors can be mixed. Winnebago also changes interior design and exterior design on some model year changes.

The Itasca 27N is the same as the Winnebago except for different interior and exterior color options.

Options and quality are the same for both coaches. The only difference is the color palette.

Whether you decide to order or buy off the lot enjoy your new coach.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The wife and I picked ours up a couple of months ago. We are currently living in it full time while we wait for our new house to close.
The 27n is a great coach. We had a few minor issues, but I still love it.
It has quite a lot of room. Storage is great. It is very easy to drive. The chassis has more than enough power.
The biggest complaint that I have is the placement of the stereo/camera system in the center dash area. The camera monitor can not be seen due to glare. The monitor/stereo should have been pointed towards the driver's seat, not straight back.
If you do get one, I posted a couple of days ago that I discovered the way the A/C line was run from the engine to the A/C condenser was rubbing on the body. It had worn part of the A/C line away and eventually would have caused an A/C failure. I sent pictures to Winnebego this am, and hope that mine was an isolated incident. (I think they were all built this way)
Crawl under your coach in front of the front passenger tire. Look up at the engine and follow the A/C lines from the A/C compressor. Look for a rub point between the line and the body.
Good luck with your purchase

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We own a 2014 27N Sunstar and, after owning and driving it for 15 mos we are probably going back to a Class C or B+. Our 27N is extremely comfortable with tons of external and internal storage but is a bit more than the wife and I need for our occasional travels. We have no issue with this beautiful and comfortable unit, we just felt more comfortable having driver and passenger doors AND less height and width with our former Class C units. A note of caution regarding the slides: Peruse the Lippert videos and threads on this site to learn how to properly use and maintain the slides. They can be a bit finicky so educate yourself. Good luck and enjoy your unit!
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We love our 2015 27n it meets our needs in all ways, except for the ongoing questions about the slides and jacks . Most just mention the living space and storage, and those are a great, but if the slides & jacks do not work that space becomes useless . My coach was built in the last part of 2014, and maybe later on in 2015 they fixed the proublem. I suggest you read the forums on these problems . I just want to be honest with you and tell the whole story. The size of the MH meets our needs in every respect. I believe the fit and finish is very good also. Good luck in all your coming travels.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

So much for that. The dealer sold it out from under me 3 days after I talked to him about it and made plans to make the trip to go see it. Guess I won't be doing business with them.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear you lost it. There are many more around. We really like ours - it has been everything we need, and more.

I bought a 2014 off the lot, just as the 2015 models were coming out. Saved a bunch of money. If I had it to do over again, I would go for a year or two older - used - and let someone else get all the bugs out, and maybe install some goodies like 5 star tune on their dime.

Our punch list was the normal 10 or so items, the worst was that Winnebago had reversed the heater hoses coming off the engine, causing the A/C to work it's butt off to get even 70 degree air at the vents. Finally fixed by Awesome RV in Chehalis, WA. I am amazed that they found it, after nobody else could!

You will like the 27n - everybody does!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I just bought a new off the lot 2015 Vista 27N, exactly the same as the Sunstar except for interior fabric choices. It was a lot cheaper than a 2016 due to higher discount off MRSP available on the already on dealer lot 2015s. You can invest $ 450 to add a 5 Star RV Tune to the 2015 with 5 Speed Transmission, and get somewhat close to the 2016 with 6 speed driving experience.

Other than the 2015 vs 2016 Ford F53 chassis transmission change, the other change I am aware of is the addition of a small window on the passenger side in front so driver can see where the curb is on that side of the coach.

Some my likes are:
- Ultraleather driver and passenger seats
- Six way driver's power seat and passenger seat footrest
- Benchmark dinette with home furniture style innerspring seat cushions
- Full queen bed with innerspring mattress
- Huge propane, water, grey, black tanks
- Huge basement storage including a extra height rear compartment that extends above the basement
- Very quiet basement mounted furnace

I am extremely satisified. I have another post on the Winnebago forum listing what I have fixed and the one remaining warranty issue I have after owning the coach a few days. I have had no traveling down time in the new coach since purchase.

One thing to consider is that in the 27N with its 29 foot length the bedroom is pretty much just for sleeping it has no room for a chair to use as second room for watching TV, reading etc. That was OK with me.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote