Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

first MH - Winnebago questions (used)

We are actively searching for our first MH and have some questions about a couple of RVs on our short list (the 30T and 33C).

First of all, I am wondering about 30 amp vs 50 amp service. If there is a campsite with 50 amp service, can I plug in my 30 amp RV? What are my limitations? I realize this is a basic question...I'm imagining either blowing up the RV, or tripping every circuit.

Secondly, since we are looking at used, I am wondering about how well the unit was cared for. One of the units has significant staining on the floor in the bay with the black water hose. Is this staining normal, or does it indicate lack of care, or perhaps a prior leak?

Thirdly, these units come with various options for the sofa. Is there any way to tell by looking at a photo, if the rig has the "comfort sofa sleeper" or the "sofa/bed"?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

1-yes you can plug a 30 into a 50, with an adapter---& vice versa.

2-No telling

3-try it...none of them are real comfortable, in my book

4- Don't expect too much....motorhomes are great adventures & you can see things you would not otherwise see....but, they will not stand too much scrutiny.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On a 30T, the standard sofa is a jack-knife fold out bed and typically a cloth fabric. The upgrade sofa folds out to a larger queen bed with built in air mattress and is typically a leather fabric.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

1) First responder is correct. Adapters are available. Also 50 amp power pedestals typically also have 30 amp sockets. The big advantage to 50 amp power is the ability to use 2 a/c units simultaneously.

2) clean is generally an indication of a well cared for unit.

For your first coach, definitely look only at used units when you are ready to buy. An RV show is a good place to compare floor plans to decide what you would like, but there is a huge whack of depreciation during the first couple years of life of an RV. If you think you might want to upgrade after a couple years, it's best not to be underwater on your trade-in.

3) sofa beds are generally not comfortable to sleep on for more than a night or two. If you have kids, you might consider a coach with separate bunk beds or a drop down front bed.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you have the serial#, don't use the vin #, you can get a lot of info. on that particular MH here Service Parts List

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbear View Post
We are actively searching for our first MH and have some questions about a couple of RVs on our short list (the 30T and 33C).

First of all, I am wondering about 30 amp vs 50 amp service. If there is a campsite with 50 amp service, can I plug in my 30 amp RV? What are my limitations? I realize this is a basic question...I'm imagining either blowing up the RV, or tripping every circuit.

Secondly, since we are looking at used, I am wondering about how well the unit was cared for. One of the units has significant staining on the floor in the bay with the black water hose. Is this staining normal, or does it indicate lack of care, or perhaps a prior leak?

Thirdly, these units come with various options for the sofa. Is there any way to tell by looking at a photo, if the rig has the "comfort sofa sleeper" or the "sofa/bed"?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
The 30 amp service is not as limiting as one might think. Winnebago uses energy efficient air conditioners that only use 9-10 amps. Thus with both AC's running you are only using 18-20 amps, leaving at least 10 amps to run other items. Ours has the 30 amp service and I have never been restricted to using one AC only while on shore power or on generator.

If you do use more than 10 amps while both AC are running, the energy management system automatically will shut down appliances until you are done using the excess amps. For example, say the water heater is on electric, you are using both AC's and then you use the microwave. The energy management system will shut off the water heater until you are done using the microwave, the AC's continue to operate through the whole process.

The following picture shows what a sofa/bed looks like (it has the queen size air mattress). Note that the slides are closed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6311.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	110219  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of the help! We made a tentative offer in on a 2013 sightseer 33C. I'm excited! Hubby will fly out to test drive it and seal the deal.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbear View Post
Thanks for all of the help! We made a tentative offer in on a 2013 sightseer 33C. I'm excited! Hubby will fly out to test drive it and seal the deal.
Congratulations! Good luck on sealing the deal!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

threadbear,
We have a 30T and do like it. You didn't mention the years you were looking at. OK you've settled on a 33C. There a good coach as well. I'd do the search with the serial # at WBGO. They will give you a list of any services that were performed on that coach under the warranty.

Don't allow excitement and newness cloud your decision. Have the unit checked by a professional. A few hundred dollars spent now may save a lot of problems later. If it's a dealer or even a private owner don't let them tell you all is well unless you want surprises later. Test everything. Check the dates on the tires you just never know. A crooked dealer could swap some timed out tires and rims with good tread. They could even just switch the inner rear tires with a couple of bad ones that held air. If you spotted the bad tires they'd just say , WOW we'll get fixed right now. We can assume people are honest but let the buyer beware.

TeJay
Old 10-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations on the 33c. It is a great unit. You've been given several good suggestions. Here is one more before you go to make the final check download from the Winnebago website and take a look at the operators manual for the 2013 Sightseer 33c it will help in figuring out what to check out and help in asking more specific questions. Also you might want to check the chassis year vs the model year. For example I have a 2015 model year but a 2014 chassis.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. I especially appreciated links to Winnebago documents and the photo of the interior of the 33C with the slides closed. (I'm not sure of the protocol of responding to several people at once.)

Where we are: we have put down a deposit and hubby will be flying out to see the unit. I am telling myself that if this doesn't work out, there will be another.

Tags
winnebago