Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just hooked up a satellite on a tripod and can't find an external satellite jack. Ran the coax through a window for now just but there must be a better way.

Have a cable jack in the electric bay but can't use that because I have cable hooked to it, with limited channels, that's why I hooked up the dish. I still want to leave the cable hooked up because I'm too far away from my home base to get locals on the satellite.

I'm thinking about trying to use the jack in the outside entertainment area for the satellite connection. I understand that this jack is for TV input and will play whatever is playing on the 2nd BR TV. There must be a spliter after the TV selection box but I have yet to find it.

Any suggestions on how I can get the external satellite hooked up without the cable through the window?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just hooked up a satellite on a tripod and can't find an external satellite jack. Ran the coax through a window for now just but there must be a better way.

Have a cable jack in the electric bay but can't use that because I have cable hooked to it, with limited channels, that's why I hooked up the dish. I still want to leave the cable hooked up because I'm too far away from my home base to get locals on the satellite.

I'm thinking about trying to use the jack in the outside entertainment area for the satellite connection. I understand that this jack is for TV input and will play whatever is playing on the 2nd BR TV. There must be a spliter after the TV selection box but I have yet to find it.

Any suggestions on how I can get the external satellite hooked up without the cable through the window?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

What you need are two diplexers , one in the electrical bay and one at the TV switch in the entertainment center. The diplexer is a special combiner/splitter that passes the satellite signal and power on one leg and cable or antenna signal on the other.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There must be a spliter after the TV selection box but I have yet to find it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my motorhome, the splitter is in the cabinet that houses the bedroom TV. I have to release the gas cylinder allowing the TV to swing open all the way. The splitter is mounted behind the TV on the rear wall.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What you need are two diplexers , one in the electrical bay and one at the TV switch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly!! That is what I use, and can bring both satellite & catv into the coach at the same time through the catv input. I think it is called a "power pass one-side diplexer." You can get them at Radio Shack.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Hilley:
What you need are two diplexers , one in the electrical bay and one at the TV switch in the entertainment center. The diplexer is a special combiner/splitter that passes the satellite signal and power on one leg and cable or antenna signal on the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just happen to have a few diplexers in my parts box. Will try that tomorrow when I get a chance.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a few diplexers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok, but just any diplexer will not work ...the side with the satellite connected MUST BE designed to pass electrical power.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hmmm.. I suppose Winnie added the external satellite connection with the '05 Vectra/Horizon because I have on the same plate: phone-cable-external dish.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Our 08 Sightseer has the external antenna jack in the plumbing bay.

But, we use a DVR with a dual LNB so we needed 2 coax's. I ran them from the engine compartment (gasser) and under the windshield track covers to the compartment with the Sat Receiver. Makes for an easy hookup.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

On the occasions when I need to use my external dish (I have a tracking dome but occasionally get 'treed' in), I run the cable under the driver's side door. The door gasket is big and flexible enough to allow it without crimping.

I also drilled a hole in the driver's side toward the back and into the escape window treatment. I installed a barrel connector and can run the cable up to my second sat. receiver. Easy and no pain.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a few diplexers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok, but just any diplexer will not work ...the side with the satellite connected MUST BE designed to pass electrical power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only had one diplexer, the other two in the box were actually splitters, so the install will have to wait for a while. The diplexer I have is designed to be used with satellite.

Went to Radio Shack to purchase another diplexer and the one they had was way over priced, they wanted $21.99. It was identical to the one I had and the one shown in the link above except it said "Radio Shack" instead of "RCA" like the one I have. Specs. were identical. I see these for sale all over the internet for under $6.00 and I also think I have another one back at home.

The cable provided by the RV park is actually a DirectTV commerical feed to the park, only about 20 channels. The channels, although they are directTV, are modulated somehow by the park and play on stations 14-37 on my TV. I'm hoping the diplexers will still work and combine then split again the signal from the park and my dish.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. Will let you know how the diplexers work when I give them a try.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

You shouldn't have any problem with the park cable on the diplexer. Most hardware stores and home improvement stores also sell diplexers for under $10.00.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Could not find a diplexer at the two hardware stores, Wal-Mart, or Bi-Mart. They all had splitters and A/B switches but not diplexers.
Finally found one at a satellite dealer, he said he was out of stock on diplexers but had a used one he gave me for free. When I mentioned Radio Shack is selling them for $21.99 he was shocked. Said his cost was under $1.50 for diplexers and sold them for $3.99.

Radio Shack $21.99 Diplexer
Old 05-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Just hooked up the diplexers and it works great. Now I have both the satellite and cable incoming feeds hooked up to a diplexer then to the external "cable in jack" in the electric bay just below the phone jack hook up. Re-split the cable in at the selector box, one connection going back to the selector, the other to the satellite.

Both cable and satellite work on both TV's and now I can even watch satellite on one and cable on the other.

The whole hook up process took only about 15 minutes including the time to make 3 patch coax cords.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, the diplexer solution worked great.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Great thread with good info. Thanks.

Simple Yahoo search found these for $2.99. No idea on the quality of the vendor, just a result of a search.

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/SA..._SPLITTERS.htm
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear you had success with the diplexers. I installed them in my '04 Horizon 40AD and over a period of time with different diplexers I finally gave up on them. I was getting some bad cable channels when we were using cable for locals.

I ended up running a new RG-6 line from the electrical bay over the rear wheel into the water bay then up under the shower and straight across to come up behind the fridge. Then under the fridge and thru the cabinets which we have between the fridge and the TV then up to where I needed it. Now I have two cable lines from my electrical bay all the way to the TV cabinet and no more snowy channels.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great thread with good info. Thanks.

Simple Yahoo search found these for $2.99. No idea on the quality of the vendor, just a result of a search.

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/SA..._SPLITTERS.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are all good brands.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Our "Fix" for this "problem" was to come up under the front of the MH with the Sat. Feed from the dish and couple the line to a previously installed feed line from the Sat. IN position on the Sat Reciever. We brought it down the channel on the Drivers Side and fastened the coupling end to a strut in the front Genny Compartment.
Works for us and several in our circle have done the same feed.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote