Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Gang:

Our 33V Suncruiser has only a "cable/TV in" outlet in the electrical compartment. Even though we have a roof mounted factory installed satellite dish, there are occasions when because of trees we are unable to get a clear shot at the DISH satellites. I've purchased an extra DISH 500 dish and extra length cables for external set-up. Question is will I be able to just plug into the "cable/TV in" outlet in the electrical compartment and pick-up satellite reception by merely selecting the Cable TV control button in the passenger over-head compartment? Or, will I have to run the "satellite in to TV" cable through an open window to the driver over-head compartment?

Hope my question is not confusing.

Thanks in advance.

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Gang:

Our 33V Suncruiser has only a "cable/TV in" outlet in the electrical compartment. Even though we have a roof mounted factory installed satellite dish, there are occasions when because of trees we are unable to get a clear shot at the DISH satellites. I've purchased an extra DISH 500 dish and extra length cables for external set-up. Question is will I be able to just plug into the "cable/TV in" outlet in the electrical compartment and pick-up satellite reception by merely selecting the Cable TV control button in the passenger over-head compartment? Or, will I have to run the "satellite in to TV" cable through an open window to the driver over-head compartment?

Hope my question is not confusing.

Thanks in advance.

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
It will work, but you have to modify the setup in the coach a bit.

Disconnect the cable from the back of the switching box in the coach. Buy an A/B switch and 2 short lengths of cable. Feed the installed cable into the side of the A/B switch with only one cable connection. Take one short cable and reconnect that to the cable in connection on the back of the switch box and then to one side of the A/B switch. Take the second short cable and have that available to plug into the Sat In connection on the Dish receiver.

Every thing will still work as before except you'll have to switch the A/B switch to the proper position to use cable or sat.

If this isn't clear let me know and I'll post a picture.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Exactly what I did, Bob, except I added an A-B switch on the input to the satellite receiver so I can switch the input without having to move the cable.

Not let's see, left switch on A, right switch on B, or was it A switch on right.....

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBWLMS:
Exactly what I did, Bob, except I added an A-B switch on the input to the satellite receiver so I can switch the input without having to move the cable.

Not let's see, left switch on A, right switch on B, or was it A switch on right..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understand the confusion.

I'm not quite sure I understand the way you did yours. Mine takes the cable from the shore cable input and at the A/B switch allows me to use the free standing dish or cable TV depending on the switch. Yes, I have to change the cable on the back of the sat receiver if I get deep into the trees.

Sounds like you gave up your ability to use cable TV in RV parks. Yes?

My new problem is that I bought a TiVo unit and installed a dual LNB on the roof top dish and fed the cable down with the existing one. If I ever get into the trees I'll have to be satisfied with only one LNB feed to the TiVo.

Darn.

Also took my remote dish and drilled out the rivets where the LNB arm meets the dish. Put a couple of bolts with wing nuts where the rivets were and by pulling one bolt I can fold the arm into the dish. Lots less storage space used.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Bob, what I did was put an A-B switch in front of the main switch box to switch the park cable input between Cable and satellite receiver and another A-B switch in front of the satellite receiver to switch between roof antenna and park cable input when the external antenna is used. I actually have 3 switch boxes to achieve total flexibility. Ya might say I'm flexible to the point of going limp...

Old 06-25-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ahhh. Now I understand.

I don't get into situations where I have to use the external dish very often. If we can ever get this property sold and start full timing I may have the need to do what you've done.

I see you have a 38G. If we don't go with the 38J the 38G will be the rig we buy. If we do buy the 38G I want it on a W24 chassis.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I also like the 38R, although the 38G has a slightly better bedroom/bath layout, IMHO.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Bob & JB:

Thanks for the information. And Bob, I would appreciate a picture of the set-up if you can.

Thanks guys for making this forum the best!

Old 06-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

By using an A/B switch and a diplexer (a special kind of splitter that will pass the DC voltage to the LNB on the dish that it needs to function), I am able to use the roof dish or an external dish or the RV park cable or the roof TV antenna without moving cables in the coach.

Diplexers are available at Radio Shack. The one I got is made by RCA and cost less than $10 - don't remember the exact cost.

If anyone is interested I can scan the schematic I made and email it to you. Just need your email address.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pleeds:
Hi Bob & JB:

Thanks for the information. And Bob, I would appreciate a picture of the set-up if you can.

Thanks guys for making this forum the best! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. Here you go. Works like a charm.
http://www.bobhatch.com/satStuff/index.htm
Old 06-27-2004, 06:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I would like to get a picture or drawing of that also. Thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Wow, too much information! JB, if your setup is different from Bob's I'd appreciate an email of your setup as well. And how well does the TIVO work? We're getting ready to head out for FT for a year, and we're going to switch to DirectTV with the coastal feeds. Right now we're only planning on taking one receiver, but, if worthwhile, we can take one more from home. Your thoughts? Thanks!
[email protected]

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Clay, if you can also send a schematic it would be great to see alternatives.'

[email protected]

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 06-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I would like the schematics too!
We are planning to go with a Dish soon.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hardy:
Wow, too much information! JB, if your setup is different from Bob's I'd appreciate an email of your setup as well. And how well does the TIVO work? We're getting ready to head out for FT for a year, and we're going to switch to DirectTV with the coastal feeds. Right now we're only planning on taking one receiver, but, if worthwhile, we can take one more from home. Your thoughts? Thanks!
[email protected] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TiVo works great. The DirecTiVo receiver takes the place of your original receiver. The only reason you need the dual LNB is if you want to watch one program and record another at the same time or record 2 programs at the same time.

TiVo also allows pause of live TV, instant replay, and several other cool features. You can also make lists of programs you want to record or if you're going away for the day or evening you can select from the guide all the programs you want recorded and TiVo will do the work for you.

The only difference between JB's setup and mine is he put one more AB switch in the loop and connects the roof top dish to one input. The remote dish to the other and the out goes to the Sat in connector on the Sat Receiver. That way he doesn't have to connect and disconnect cables when he chages the dish, he just pushes a button.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

One question after looking at JB's schematic, and reading your thread, Bob, is what additional wiring is necessary, at least to set up the AB switches?

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Old 06-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hardy:
One question after looking at JB's schematic, and reading your thread, Bob, is what additional wiring is necessary, at least to set up the AB switches? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For my type setup:

1 A/B switch.
2 18" or 24" lenghts of RG6 Cable with connectors on each end.

For JB's set up:

2 A/B switches
3 18" or 24" lengths of RG6 Cable with connectors on each end.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clay L:
By using an A/B switch and a diplexer (a special kind of splitter that will pass the DC voltage to the LNB on the dish that it needs to function), I am able to use the roof dish or an external dish or the RV park cable or the roof TV antenna without moving cables in the coach.

QUOTE]

Clay, don't know what kind of rig you have but in the Winnebago line all the input lines are fed into a Video Control Center.

In my case I am able to select what input device feeds the TV's just by pushing a button on the front of the VCC. It was installed in the overhead right above the passenger seat on delivery and I think they come as a standard item with the coach.

See one here:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=19691

Maybe I don't fully understand what your setup would do that the Control Center would not.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:07 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Initially I had modified our system in this manner as well. Following the installation of the roof-top dish, I returned the system to the original configuration which has worked fine so far as I can always get a sat signal from the roof top dish.

If you do use your external CATV connection to accomodate an external sat dish, be sure you push the correct button on the A/B switch prior to connecting to a CATV connection, otherwise sparks will fly!

Have fun!