Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exterior LED Strip Lighting

Would like to do a lighting strip under awning cover/side of coach. There is hardly any illumination from single porch light. I have looked at various DIY systems on internet but am gun shy on where/how to fish the wire. Would like my dealer to do it but they have proven unreliable, expensive, untrustworthy, and did I mention worthless,( Camping World Of New Jersey).

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
Thank-you!

Barry & Susan, Captain's Quarters, 2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
2007 Honda CRV blue ox toad.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Would like to do a lighting strip under awning cover/side of coach. There is hardly any illumination from single porch light. I have looked at various DIY systems on internet but am gun shy on where/how to fish the wire. Would like my dealer to do it but they have proven unreliable, expensive, untrustworthy, and did I mention worthless,( Camping World Of New Jersey).

Thank-you!

What I did.
On the door end I had a overhead cabinet, I drilled small hole for light strip, fished wire to outside light switch and taped in to the switch. When the outside light is on I have awning lights and step lights.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
KJD
Winnebago Camper

If you don't really like your RV dealer to do the job why not look for a mobile RV tech. Not sure what your location is but around me the one I use is GREAT........
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Thank-you!

Flavius,
First off, your user name sounds like some sort of name used with Cleopatra and Mark Anthony, ha ha ha. Anyway, There are numerous kits, applications etc. out there for this kind of fun project. I did it the expensive way. My son bought me for a fathers day present, a starter kit that is marketed by Dometic. It consisted of one, 39" weather proof, self sticking stip of bright white LEDs. But, you could augment that stip by adding "Add-on" strips, sold seperately. Well, I purchased 3 more to add on to the one he bought me. And, they all plug into each other.

I then cleaned the area where the full length strip was going to be applied to with alcohol. It was/is just under the awning mounting. You can't see that light strip when looking at the side of the RV unless you're standing almost directly under the rolled up awning. That was fairly easy to do. No one likes drilling a hole right through the fiberglass sidewall of their coach. But, I'm one that looks at something like that as, "hey, it's got to be done, in order to get this system working". So, I calculated where the hole would be, which inside the coach, was under a valance where my day/night shades were.

I have a full set/bank of switches right next to the passengers knee as she sits in the co-pilots seat. In that bank of switches, is TWELVE VOLTS DC!! So, I simply tapped into one of those circuits that I knew was not going to be overloaded if and when the LED strip was lit up. I ran the wires up the wall, inconspicously behind some molding and, tied into the wires coming from the LED strip. There's a controller in the wiring too. It's hidden in the upside cabinet just above the co-pilot.

That controller is used as the "On-Off" switch and dimmer. I have a remote that came with the system.

Now, I gotta tell ya here. Those lights are seriously bright, IF WE WANT THEM TO BE. Before anyone gets their drawers in a knot, we don't run them at full brightness unless it's warranted. Most of time, they're used as mood lighting. We can dim them down to almost out and, anywhere in between. We love'm.

And, just to augment things, I've installed undercarriage LED lighting too, as well as under step LED lighting. It all works on different switches and triggers. It's fun setting this stuff up and, presents for some nice conversations when evening comes around.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just bought one of these and just got it in. The price is cheap.
Waterproof 5M SMD 5050 RGB LED Strip Light Fairy Light 300LEDS + 44Key IR Remote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391446541044
I didn't ordered the power supply because I am using 12 volts from the RV
The draw is very little but will add a fuse to it. I will make a small cut in the sidewall next to the forward awning support to run the light through it and seal the hole. I will then cover the wire exposed with wire protector about 4 inches long and paint it for uv protection. And will fill that hole to to make it disappear. I have a small cabinet were the wire will go in and at the bottom has a reading light we never use so will use that for power and add a off and on switch to it. The hole only has to be about 1/2x1/4 inch. If you like I will post pics of install.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hmmmm....lights in strips that are more annoying than scare lights.
Please. Put them on dimmers, and off during quiet time.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up, what a great job!!

Wow Camp Daven are we having a bad evening?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Fire Up, what a great job!!

Wow Camp Daven are we having a bad evening?

Nope. All well, quiet, and dark here. This stuff has been in the next site a few times. Such glare is like a loud noise.
Please. Put them on dimmers, and off during quiet time.
They are great when they are pretty.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Dave,

Now, I gotta tell ya here. Those lights are seriously bright, IF WE WANT THEM TO BE. Before anyone gets their drawers in a knot, we don't run them at full brightness unless it's warranted. Most of time, they're used as mood lighting. We can dim them down to almost out and, anywhere in between. We love'm.

This is EXACTLY why I stated this. I knew someone would get excited 'cause I put more lights on the rig. We are not the kind that leave them on all night. In fact, if you read this earlier, "unless it's warranted", is our normal thoughts on the use of them. We too like quiet and darker campsites. So, we comply with others wishes.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

One thing to look out for - the less expensive strips on Amazon.com and Ebay use cheap adhesive tape, and they will fall off on a hot day when the side of your rig gets into the sun and gets real hot. You get what you pay for, the better strips have 3M tape and will stay on.

That said it IS important to use denatured alcohol to get the mounting surface free of wax and clean before applying the strips. Consider using a guide strip of masking tape so you get them on straight, as once they touch the surfice you are applying them to they are not coming off without damaging the adhesive on the back of the light strip.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light