Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I would like to have the outlets in the bedroom served by the standard inverter installed. the only outlets served currently are the entertainment center and Bedroom TV. It is a 600 watt inverter which is large enough for my needs. We do not use the TV when boondocking but I need to use a CPAP machine at night. During our maiden trip I hooked it up to the 12V outlet in the bedroom but I would like to improve on that setup. Is it possible to go into the Fuse Panel Box and alter the wiring there or is this just not feasible?
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would like to have the outlets in the bedroom served by the standard inverter installed. the only outlets served currently are the entertainment center and Bedroom TV. It is a 600 watt inverter which is large enough for my needs. We do not use the TV when boondocking but I need to use a CPAP machine at night. During our maiden trip I hooked it up to the 12V outlet in the bedroom but I would like to improve on that setup. Is it possible to go into the Fuse Panel Box and alter the wiring there or is this just not feasible?
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
Thanks -- Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just wonder if you can plug the CPAP machine in at the Bedroom TV plug since that plug is on the inverter.....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The wiring diagrams for you coach are available here.

You'll have to download the schematics.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That outlet is in the bathroom as it turns out. It would really be inconvenient to run the cord that far and a hazard if one gets up in the middle of the night. I know that sounds strange but if you look up in the corner of the toilet room you will see the socket and the cord pluging into it.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

One possibility would be to locate a new dedicated inverter outlet under the bed, and feed it from a new inverter whose wattage is matched to the cpap machine's needs. Wouldn't be too hard to run a good 12V source under the bed to the new inverter which feeds the new dedicated outlet.

I haven't researched it but I would guess a good 300W inverter would be under $200. In the long run this may be cheaper than trying to extend the 110V outlet behind the TV to bedside (I'm guessing your current inverter is located at the top front of your coach).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The Inverter is 600W and is more than adequate to serve my needs since I do not use the TV while my CPAP is running. The Inverter is centrally located under the kitchen slide. I thought that maybe there is a fuse for the front (entertainment center) outlets that the Inverter is connected to. I could then simply do the same connection to the Bedroom fuse. Does this make any sense? I have looked through the schematics but I can not find where the Inverter connections to the Entertainment center are fused.
Any more advice?
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I looked more closely at the wiring diagram and it looks like the Entertainment Center and the rear TV that are served by the Inverter do not go through the stndard fuse panel. I assume that the Inverter is served by the fuse panel through the outlet it uses in the basement. It looks like the only option I have is to extend my existing line from the bedroom that goes to the fuse panel, into the basment and make my connection directly to the inverter. Not sure how many of you all have looked at this part of the wiring or even have the 600W Inverter. I will let everyone know when and if I make this happen.
Frank O.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

It is not exactly the same situation Frank, but I did "extend" a 120v outlet.

The bedroom of my Journey has a plug (in the wall) on the left side of the dresser ... I quite often have a 120v fan running in front of the window that is between the (rt side of the) dresser and the TV / clothes closet.

It was pretty simple to extend the outlet, I removed the existing outlet, removed the drawers from the dresser, drilled a hole in the wall on the left side of the dresser, drilled a hole on the right side of the dresser, ran 14/3 wire through both holes, I used an "on the wall box" (painted brown to match the dresser) with a standard recepticle and cover.

Now I have a plug in for the fan without having the cord over the top of the dresser. I generally knocked stuff off every time I unplugged the fan ... that problem is gone

The secret is the "on the wall box" ... they are about 5/8" to 3/4"deep ... just right for your recepticle ... I got the idea from another bulletin board ...

When I took out the existing recepticle, I found that I could add an additional conductor by pushing it into the slots with the existing conductors ... (I can't remember if I had to strip the ends ... I did this over a year ago and my rememberer doesn't do fine details from a year ago very well)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

PS to above note.

I was able to run the wire through the back of the dresser to get to the new location ... the outlet is attaced to the side of the dresser so I was able to hide the wire from the existing outlet to the new outlet.

If you have nowhere to hide the conductor, you may need to use "On the wall conduit" (it looks like half of an old-time curtain rod) ... you could paint it to match your wall ... there are "knockouts" in the side of the box to accomodate the conduit ...
Old 05-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I do not want to add an additional outlet I simply want to serve the bedroom outlets with the Inverter that currently only supplies the TV/Entertainment Center. I thought I could do this in the fuse panel but after reading the schematic I think I will have to disconnect the bedroom outlet from the fuse panel and extend that line from the fuse panel to the basement. The 600W Inverter is in the basement below the fuse panel so I can then hook that line into the Inverter.
What do you all think?
Frank O.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

FrankO ... sounds like a good plan you have ...

As a note ... I found a plugin under my bed that seemed to have no use ... and then I noticed that the wires running to it were slightly different ... I would guess that Winnebago used the plug in as a splice to join seperate conductors end to end ... the plug in has a screw in the middle and it driven into the floor ... pretty tricky ...
Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

***Off topic warning***

Plug under the bed is for the Select Comfort bed you must not have...

Back to inverters, wiring, and such.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks Tim ...

Our bed is sleep number ... it runs off 12V because I do not have to turn the inverter on when we are dry camping to change the inflation ...

There was an unused plug under the clothes hamper in the bathroom in my '99 Adventurer too ... never could figure out that rascal ... maybe they had an option for a toilet seat warmer that we never got ...

I did find a use for it ... I ran a short extension cord from that plug down into the flush valve bay to plug in a trouble light when I was in places where it would freeze ....
Old 05-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Looks to me like you have an outlet under the bed that is on the invert. A short extension cord should be all you need.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I looked under the bed and saw no outlet. There is a rectangular cutout and a circular cutout but nothing mounted. They are under the right side head of the bed.
Frank O.