Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Entry steps and solar panel issues

My entry steps only retract/extend part of the way during cool weather. Once I push them in and out a few times they will work okay for awhile and then repeat the problem. They do retract/extend when I turn the switch off and activate the ignition switch. Any ideas.
My solar panel light never illuminates. My batteries are always charged okay but I don't think the solar panel is doing its job. The dealer told me he checked the power to and from the light and it was good but the light never lights up. Any ideas.
I cannot find the Trik-L-Charger. My invoice tells me it is there but I cannot find it. There are supposedly lights on it that indicate its status but again, I cannot find it! Any ideas?
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm not familier with your particular configuration, but if Winnebago holds true to form the Trik-L-Start will be co-located with your aux start/charge solonoid. They usually put it there because the location provides easy access to connectors for both battery banks.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have three solar panels on the roof of my 1997 Dolphin M.H. and in the upper left compartment above the driver set their is a voltage regular on the left hand side of the compartment it has a Red light that lets you know that it is charging and a dial showing you the amps that it is putting out. I am sure that it trickle charges the house battery's (which I have 4) and that the generater under the hood charges the engine battery.
Hope this will enlighten you some what!
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The Trik-L-Start in my Winne is located behind a panel in the electrical bay. No way to see if it is working without removing the panel. I thought it would be in the battery bay but Winne support told me where it was actually located.

Have you tried lubing the steps? That helped mine a lot.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My manual says solar charging light only comes on when actually charging, I confirmed this in talking to the service manager at my dealer as I had the same question you had.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the steps need lubrication.
I use KwikLube which sprays on and dries to a waxy lubrication.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 08 Horizon and it came with a Winnebago installed solar panel. That panel is not big enough to keep your batteries topped up. I just ignore that fact that it is there. Agree that application of Kwik Lube should solve your step problem. That should be done every 6 months. Call Winney support for the location of your Trik-L-Start.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

entry steps

Lubed the steps (again) and still have the same problem. If I push on them when they hang up they will eventually start to work. Leave them alone overnight and have the very same problem the next morning. They do work correctly with the switch off and using the ignition switch to activate them. Any other ideas?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My Trik-L-Start is in right rear compartment with the solenoids...behind a metal cover labeled as such,or so I have been told!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
I cannot find the Trik-L-Charger. My invoice tells me it is there but I cannot find it. There are supposedly lights on it that indicate its status but again, I cannot find it! Any ideas?
Page 3 of the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for you coach shows you where the Trik-L-Start is.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Trik-L-Start

Thanks for the diagram. The only question left is why Winnebago chose to hide it from the owner!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll remove the panels one of these days (probably when the golf courses are closed). Again, thanks for your input.

Tags
solar, steps