Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Engine Battery dis-connect

Hi All:

Well my engine batteries are giving up the ghost at less than two years old.

Don't we have a engine battery diss-connect like we do for the coach batteries on my 04 Meridan somewhere?

I have three engine batteries and my dealer said he couldn't hook up a diss-connect on them directly ??

Since my batteries will be dead this winter anyway, I was thinking of pulling them out when I store the coach (soon) and just buy new batteries in the spring.

Thoughts on the subject please.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When you change the batteries, install a Trickl-Start. It will keep the chassis batteries fresh by topping them off when you use your generator or shore power.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Puttin:

Yeah I all ready ordered one last night.

Thanks..
Old 10-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You won't regret it, I've had mine for over a year now and I don't have any more dead chassis battery problems.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
My winnie DP is only 2 years newer, but it has a rotary disconnect back by the engine. However, I learned the hardway (dead batteries) that it only disconnects the engine, steps, etc. from the chassis batteries. I still have a very large power line that appears to feed power to the jack and slide systems, probably more, that does NOT disconnect and in fact has caused me drain if I'm leaving the coach in storage for more than a few days. I would think you could find room for a physical rotary disconnect somewhere near the batteries. Good Luck.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm fortunate that my storage company provides 110V hook-up. With that said, in order to keep the batteries charged I do not disconnect the service OR the house batteries. I do reach in and turn the Step off, as directed by Winnebago technician. Since I have been doing that my batteries maintain their charge with the trik-l-start charger. With the steps turned on - the service battery will drop considerable voltage.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Wayne:

Will my trik-l charger work, attached to my house batteries using the solar power charger on the roof? Or will it drain my house batteries to?

I have no power at my storage yard.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Jim,
I don't think so, but I'm definitely not an expert in this area (nor many others).

Example: The solar panel on my 2008 Winnebago is 10 watts. That equates to about 1 amp. A 1 amp charge is not enough to keep any battery up if there is any drainage at all. Over time, it will drop to a low voltage and the solar panel will not be able to keep up. If you were to increase the size of the solar panel to 100 watts, you would have a 10 amp output. If you could power the Trik-L-Start with a 100 watt inverter, and not exceed a 10 amp draw on the charger, you could most likely maintain the batteries. If at any time the voltage goes to low because of a drain, the current rating will increase and it may pop a fuse in the charger.

Someone else will chime in with some good information.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This is an unscientific fact: My chassis battery was totally dead when I tried to start it. I used the emerg. boost switch to get the house batteries to start it. After I arrived at the campground (3 miles away), I installed the trickle-start. 2 1/2 days later- the chassis battery was fully charged. That was over a year ago...I have not had problems since.

Drew
Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi guys:

Problem is my driving is over until spring.

If the darn batteries weren't so big I would pull them and stick them in the garage.

I know they will be DEAD as a doornail in the spring.

Regards Jim P.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
If the batteries have a decent charge on them now, and are not connected to anything that will draw current, they may seem "dead" if you try to do anything with them in 10 degree February weather, but if they just sit there till spring, they should have as much juice in them as they did when winter started. Strange, but true.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote