Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I've been taking the coach out once a month during the winter to exercise the engine and generator. Last outing was in Mid-January. So between then and now the engine battery was drained. The battery boost got me running again. After gassing up I got home and plugged in at home. I left it charging over night and assumed (I know bad thing) that the charger would also charge up the engine battery. Did I assume wrong? I guess I need to take it on a drive to see if that helps. Currently without the boost I just get a noise that sounds like the starter clicking. Thanks for any advice.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I've been taking the coach out once a month during the winter to exercise the engine and generator. Last outing was in Mid-January. So between then and now the engine battery was drained. The battery boost got me running again. After gassing up I got home and plugged in at home. I left it charging over night and assumed (I know bad thing) that the charger would also charge up the engine battery. Did I assume wrong? I guess I need to take it on a drive to see if that helps. Currently without the boost I just get a noise that sounds like the starter clicking. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When the coach engine is running all batteries are being charged. When pluged into shore power or runnung genny only house batteries are charging.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Y-Guy, depends. becks is correct regarding most motorhomes. But Winnebago started installing Trik-L-Starts in the diesel pushers in the 2006 model year. Not sure if they put them in the gasser's or not in 2007.

If you don't have one installed I would recommend installing one. This device will charge the chassis battery while plugged in to shore power.

And again, becks is correct regarding the alternator charging both the house and chassis batteries while driving.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the quick replies. Well at least its working correctly then.

No Trik-L-Start, I hadn't put one in since its stored off site now and without power. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have while its at home before going on a trip.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My Sightseer engine battery also kept going flat after about a month, and a short run wouldn't charge it enough. As becks said, only the house batteries are charged by the genny or shore power. I took my engine battery out, and charged it on the bench, but it wouldn't hold a full charge, so I bought a new battery last week. I also put a battery disconnect on it, so I can stop the parasitic use when in storage. My Workhorse manual suggests disconnecting the ground cable if the MH is going to be stored for more than 25 days, but a disconnect is easier.

I also have a portable 5 Amp solar panel that I can connect when in storage.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hey Y

Had the same problem last winter with my Sightseer in storage, installed a Trik-L-Start this summer, problem solved, good $45 and 15 minutes invested. Now I plug it in for a day or two once a month and all the batteries are charged. I don't start MH over the winter but run the genny with all the interior lights on for a hour, a couple of times while in winter storage

Highly recommend it.

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

same story for me..........trace load is what my mech. said does it. A disconnect was the best suggestion.

On the topic of running engine short hops in the winter.........
DONT...It will only cause moisture to accumulate in the exhaust system as it never gets hot enough to dry things out. Result is you get lots of premature rusting of pipes,muffler etc etc.

Put it to bed in the fall after a good run and hot. This happens a lot faster in the fall temperatures than in winter. Short start ups also wash the internal parts of the engine with gas and gas vapors that leave no oil slick for moisture protection on the cylinder walls for example.

All the above is especially true if you live in winter time temperatures down to -20 C like I do.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Y Guy, I have the same problem with my 06 ever since a month after bringing it home. Went to Advance Auto parts and picked up a disconnect switch week before last. I had to charge the battery for 2 days to get up to full song. It's been in the coach now for 2 weeks and I am going out tommorow to test start it.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Y-Guy
When I store my RV I disconnect the chassis battery cable from the battery. Works for me.
ALMOST SPRING

2000 Horizon
lesgorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
assumed (I know bad thing) that the charger would also charge up the engine battery. Did I assume wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You assumed wrong. We use a Battery Minder Plus on the chassis battery when we are plugged in at home.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Y-Guy ...

You can charge your engine battery while you are plugged in by placing a wedge under your MOM switch

Lesson from the school of hard knocks
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
Y-Guy ...

You can charge your engine battery while you are plugged in by placing a wedge under your MOM switch

Lesson from the school of hard knocks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can but I wouldn't do it. I don't think the AUX solenoid is designed for continuous duty.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

"You can charge your engine battery while you are plugged in by placing a wedge under your MOM switch"

You can fry your MOM switch by placing a wedge under it. It is NOT meant for continuous service and could, conceivably catch fire. I believe this would be a bad situation.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Clay and Hamguy ...

See response by bflem and rick_od at "Lessons ..."

Wayne
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Could well be but I still recall the instructions sheet for my solenoid (I have had to replace it once) said "For Intermittent Use Only". I will say that were I in need of quick charging the engine batt, I would hit the switch, but only if I could monitor the system. I was mainly responding to the comment that one could wedge it closed to provide parallel charging at all times. That, I would NOT do.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Why couldn't you use jumpers and do the same thing and not risk ruining your solenoid or a fire?
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to everyone for the comments and dicussion. The coach is starting fine now after letting it run while I was working on it.

I am going to put in a battery disconnect this spring to deal with the small draw. Thankfully the house batteries were in good shape and got me going.