Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Energy usage on 50 amp hookup

Has anyone found a way to display energy usage when connected to a 50 amp hookup?

The energy mgmt system displays usage when on the generator or when on a 30 amp hookup but not when connected to 50 amp. I guess this is because the two 110v circuits are not in phase.

Have you found an inexpensive device or a way to accomplish this?

I would like to monitor it to help determine I could get by with a 30 amp hookup. Seems like more parks are charging for 50 amp hookups.

Thanks.
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Energy usage on 50 amp hookup

I seldom pay if extra charge for 50a hookup. With the phaeton only really a must have if all three AC are desired. Two AC will typically run on 30a if you don't also run microwave, coffee pot, electric water heater, or similar.

Our PA has a 30a coach with energy management system that monitors for high loads and manages it for you by automatically cutting off (shedding) one of the two air conditioners if (for example) you start the microwave.

Your battery charger may also be a high power draw item. It may have a setting to limit its power consumption.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Remote Load meter

With this 100A AC Digital Power kWh Watt Meter Volt Amp Voltmeter Ammeter Open Close Ct | eBay you can install the CT in your cord junction box or in your circuit breaker panel where the power comes into the main breaker. The display can be remote mounted where it is convenient. Since it is 100A the window should be large enough for your 50A wire. Only the black wire on the cord, or both wires entering the main breaker go through the window.
Grandpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Our VMS whole house monitoring unit shows the draw from each leg of the incoming power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

120V at 30A=====3600W
120V at 50A----600W/each leg====12,000W

My 50A 5th wheel on 30A Power
15btu A/C Unit---------1700W/14.5A
Converter -------------- 700W/6A
32" Digital TV---------- 95W/1A
Fridge------------------ 325W/2.7A

30A/3600W available======2820W/24.2A

Run microwave (1000W) if shut down A/C Unit first
Water heater in propane..........(electric element 1400W)

Computer and couple of reading lights (120V---60W) is only other 120V items
Everything else 12V DC
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinflorida View Post
Has anyone found a way to display energy usage when connected to a 50 amp hookup?

The energy mgmt system displays usage when on the generator or when on a 30 amp hookup but not when connected to 50 amp. I guess this is because the two 110v circuits are not in phase.

I would like to monitor it to help determine I could get by with a 30 amp hookup. Seems like more parks are charging for 50 amp hookups.

Thanks.
The particular EMS you have is to prioritize loads when you only have generator power or 30 Amp shore power, it will do things like de-energize the hot water heater load or second AC load to keep total draw at or below 30 amps.

If you want to actually monitor how much power is being used when on 50 Amp shore power then you would have to buy another power monitoring system.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Roy,
Two things come to mind. First is a Progressive Industries hw50 or pt50 surge protector, well worth the approximately $400. The second, much cheaper is to buy a 50 amp female to 30 amp male adapter and plug into a 30 amp outlet so your EMS will display the amps you're using. You'll need this adapter to hook it up to 30 amp anyway.

I'm with you on campgrounds charging more for 50amp. The place we camped last week charged $30/night for 30 amp and $35/night for 50 amp. There is no way any coach is going to use $5.00 worth of electricity more than a 30 amp coach .

All this said, I have successfully camped with 20 amp and ran my TV. and basement a/c and used propane for the water heater and fridge
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinflorida View Post

Thanks.
Like someone else said, buy the 50 to 30 amp "dog-bone" and go to a 30 amp site and try it. Not going to hurt anything and would be alot less hassle than adding to your wiring, mounting displays, etc. If you have an Intellitec Power Line Monitor, it already pretty much tells you what will be "shed" and what will not.

Either way, trying is the best way to go, in my humble opinion.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The supplied EMS is really a load shedding system and would be better known as that A Progressive Industries and other true EMS systems monitor voltage and current and will act when the set parameters are exceeded to avoid damage to sensitive electronics. The Progressive unit provides continual monitoring of actual load and voltage on each leg so if you are interested in seeing how much power is being consumed, you could consider one. I believe the true advantage of an EMS is to protect your coach but they are not a cheap solution to spending a couple of bucks more a night more for 50 amp service. The load shedding system installed should enable you to use 30 amp service successfully with minimal compromise.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I'm not sure how long Winnebago had been using the EMS panel but my 2003 Horizon had one, and it worked the same as the one on my current motorhome. When you are plugged into 50amp service, you have all the power you need to run all standard equipment, and normal expected appliances in the coach, so no monitoring or load shedding is needed.
When you are plugged into 30amp or 20amp, the system is supposed to shut down big power equipment and appliances in a pre-determined order to keep as many things running as possible. Works most of the time, pretty well.
But you have to use common sense too, if you have 30amp power and are running the refer, hot water heater, and the a/c (even on one compressor) then turning on a toaster or hairdryer can get interesting.
Big thing to watch is the voltage too. If you are running near or slightly above 120v, then the system really works well. But if you are dipping down to 108-112v like in many parks with marginal systems, and everyone running a/c in the afternoon, you won't be getting all the amps your equipment may need. A scorched plug on the power pole shows you are drawing more amps than it is happy with.
That being said, I love 50amp, everything works great, have used 30amp about 1/3 the time, works ok, except on really hot days, or low voltage parks. Have done ok with 20amp, use common sense, and you don't give up much in comforts. (just run generator when you know you are going to need lots of power (dinner time, a/c needed, etc.)