Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

While camping this weekend with 30 amp service only one AC compressor would work. The system only showed 14 amps and had shed all of the the devices that it controls. Needless to say it got rather warm inside the MH, 82 degrees, with only one AC compressor running. The management system has always worked good in the past and let us use both AC compressors without going over the 30 amp service.

Any Ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

While camping this weekend with 30 amp service only one AC compressor would work. The system only showed 14 amps and had shed all of the the devices that it controls. Needless to say it got rather warm inside the MH, 82 degrees, with only one AC compressor running. The management system has always worked good in the past and let us use both AC compressors without going over the 30 amp service.

Any Ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Are you sure that the CG is providing you 30A?

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
Are you sure that the CG is providing you 30A? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

Yesterday when we left, in the morning the monitor was pegged out at 30 amps with the wife using the microwave, and everything was holding just fine.

Hot water heater was off
Refrig was on electric
only one AC was needed with fan on low

Ron
Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Are you sure #2 compressor is working?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Are you sure #2 compressor is working? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

I just tried it out this morning with the gen running and both compressors work.

Since it was 68 degrees this morning I had to bump the thermostat down to 60 degrees to get both AC's running and the amp reading was 19

Ron
Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ron,
I think I have experienced what you are describing, once in the past. IIRC, I shut down the big-Amp users (A/C, MW, etc.) for, let's say, five minutes. Starting over again, all was OK. My guess is it's a "computer thing." Like letting the Energy Management System get it head together again.

That's been quite a while and have not had that trouble since.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ron,

You can check what the system thought each load on the panel would be if turned back on. Press and hold the 30/20 amp button for 3 seconds. The top load light will be on and the stored "learned" amp value displayed. Pushing the button again will go to the next value.

I think Frank had it right, the EMS probrably thought #2 compressor needed more amps than available and would not turn it back on.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Check the circuit breakers in your 110V box. There should be one for each compressor. We had a problem with the #2 compressor not comming on only to find I shut off the breaker when I was cleaning dust out of the box.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all.

The next time it happens I'll turn everything off and wait a few minutes and then turn things back on and hopefully the EMS gets it's act together

Ron
Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

How do you get your air conditioner to run any length of time with outside temp at 68. When ever we are in Colorado with outside temp anywhere from 66 to 72 and being in the sun the inside temp will get to 78 so we need air (usually dusty, windy or smoky so can't open windows in those conditions). But with thermostat set at 70-72 the air conditioner will shut off after running 5-10 minutes even though inside temp has not dropped even 1 degree. Then it will turn back on in 5-10 minutes and this starts all over again for several hours and the inside temp may have finally dropped a degree or two by evening when we no longer need air. Forest City claimed they fixed it two years ago, but as usual it still acted the same.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

My first suspect would be the freeze sensor for the indoor coil. It is suppose to open at about 28 deg. The next time it happens I would check the green light on the pc board, it would be blinking fast if the sensor is open. The freeze sensor is suppose to close at 55 deg.

It could be a faulty sensor, sensor located in the wrong place on the indoor coil, or low airflow across the coil causing it to get colder than it should.

If the unit works fine at higher temperatures, the sensor would be my guess as the culprit.

Also, you might want to check the sensor connections on the pc board.