Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone have any experience with the Onan Product called Energy Command 30. I have a 04 Itasca Horizon with a 7.5 Onan Diesel generator. I would like to install the unit so I have the auto start feature. Any Ideas.
Thanks
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone have any experience with the Onan Product called Energy Command 30. I have a 04 Itasca Horizon with a 7.5 Onan Diesel generator. I would like to install the unit so I have the auto start feature. Any Ideas.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Maybe a call to Onan (1-800-888-6626) would help determine if the the thing could be retrofitted to the Horizon/Vectra. I would be very interested in the answer -- I don't have a coach yet but we are about 95% there in ordering a Horizon in the next four to six weeks. The Energy Command would be a dandy feature.

I know some of the other high-end coaches have that feature (gen start on low batteries, quiet hours, etc.)

John
www.janeandjohn.org

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I got a long reply from Onan and the bottom line is that even though the item is less than $200 the cost to install it could run as high as $1000. The unit was designed to be built into a new Coach and requires at least a 14 wire hookup run from the front to the back of the coach.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This item really interested me because of the many mornings, when winter camping we have awaken to low batteries from running the furnace all night. I have spent the last day or two reading everything I can on this item as well as the Ridgecreek AGS.

What I have found is that they are about the same price. $218 for the ridgecreek ags and $225 to $260 for the Onan Energy Command 30 depending on which harness you order with it. I think that I would like the Onan as it is a more complete solution but the concern is high installation cost warnings from ONAN. In reading the wiring diagrams on the web it appears that the hardest part is running wires to roof air conditioners. For us who have basement air it looks like an easy run of wire to the thermostat. The other wires to the transfer switch is optional but I don't think would be to hard nor would the wire to the house battery be hard to run. The only wire that I am not sure of is the connection to the generator control. It is logical to me that it should simply connect to the start switch of the generator which is also a short run of wire on the power panel. In my coach I would mount the control panel right above the power panel. It doesn't seem to difficult.
Am I missing something? Do any of you other veterans have any thoughts? I may have to be the guinee pig and jump in first.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bill,

It interests me as well. If you do decide to take the leap please keep us in the loop. I would be right behind you if it doesn't require massive rework of my wiring.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have done quite a bit of research into the auto gen start issue. What I have decided is that this will be fairly straightforward to implement in my situation.

The scenario for me is that I want to replace the standard Dimensions stepped sine wave interter with a pure sine wave model and also have auto gen start.

After pouring over the Horizon 40AD wiring diagrams, the Dimensions and Xantrex install manuals, and the auto gen start install directions; this seems to be doable by using most of the in-place Winny installed wiring.

The Onan Quiet 7500 uses 4 wires for remote start: negative, start, stop, and positive (or run indicator). These leads are accessable at the main control panel where the gen start switch is. I believe you can just tap into the existing switch assembly for the Xantrex autostart connections.

The Xantrex auto gen start has provisions for two thermostat inputs. I believe this could be as simple as wiring up another thermostat and putting it on the wall near the others
- when the temp in the coach gets to, say 85, it would trigger a gen start event.

I believe that if you are a cabaple DIY type around electrics you can do this yourself for just the cost of the Xantrex RS2000 (2000 watt pure sine wave inverter) and auto gen start module - probably 1500 bucks for the whole thing.

If anybody is interested in more details, I can post a more detailed discussion of this.

John

Old 03-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I spent this morning, Saturday, in the MH. I took the "one place" power panel off the wall and studied the wires and connections.

It appears to me that all the connections I need to make except to the Transfer switch are right there. Thank you Winnebago.

I also spent a little time examining the wireing diagram from Winninbago web site. Thank you Winnebago.

In addition to the Energy Command $200, I will have to buy a 18" pig tail for $25. They offer a complete wireing harness for $60 but I don't think I will need that. Unless something delays me, I plan to order the unit and pigtail on Monday. I think I know what I will be doing next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'll take pictures too.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Good for you Bill - let us know how it goes. There is almost nothing as satisfying as doing a project like this and have it work as planned