Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

EMS hot water heater out

I have an 08 Itasca 35A. The Energy Managment System shows that the elect hot water heater has been shed. This shows even when there is only a few amps of load. It seems to be a light problem because when I turn the water heater on the amps jump up. the light stays out all the time when on 20-30 amps. Any thoughts on my problem. I am thinking bad bulg, are they replacable. Thanks for any sugestions.
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet Man View Post
I have an 08 Itasca 35A. The Energy Managment System shows that the elect hot water heater has been shed. This shows even when there is only a few amps of load. It seems to be a light problem because when I turn the water heater on the amps jump up. the light stays out all the time when on 20-30 amps. Any thoughts on my problem. I am thinking bad bulg, are they replacable. Thanks for any sugestions.
Vet Man, I can only speak for a 2004 Bago, but if the 08 is the same, the bulb itself is not replacable, but the lighted switch is, and its not expensive. If similar, the bezel snaps off,(careful, 2 small moulded pins into a base) 2 screws hold the switch into the base/panel.. Switch wires to the new switch one at a time, wires are yellow and white ( all Winny grounds are white).. rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

rgrstndgby, I seem to have gathered more info. It is the little green light that is out. It is fine when the gen is running but goes out when on shore power. The red light switch is working fine. Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
rgrstndgby, I seem to have gathered more info. It is the little green light that is out. It is fine when the gen is running but goes out when on shore power. The red light switch is working fine. Thanks for your reply.

Vet Man, I think all is ok with you, the green light is only to indicate that your generator is running..rgr..
Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrstndgby View Post
Vet Man, I think all is ok with you, the green light is only to indicate that your generator is running..rgr..
Hi, the green light that is out is the indicator that the hot water heater is shed due to high load. The light is out when on shore power even at a low amp draw. But only when on shore power, when running the gen it is lite as are the other load indicator lights are. Thanks for your replys
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

VetMan, Is your EMS a Powerline 2000 & is your coach wired for 30amp service? I noticed that in my schematics the EMS can be wired for water heater, but is optional. Maybe yours is not wired correctly?

Just a thought. I have talked to the Powerline folks before and they were very helpful.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi, the green light that is out is the indicator that the hot water heater is shed due to high load. The light is out when on shore power even at a low amp draw. But only when on shore power, when running the gen it is lite as are the other load indicator lights are. Thanks for your replys

OK, a difference between my 04 Advent, and your coach I guess. Hope soemeone has an answer for you...rgr...
Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I am having a similar problem with my Powerline EMS, The green LED for the water heater is off when I am plugged in to 20/30 amp, but the heater still works on electric and I can see the amps jump up. In addition my LED for AC#2 is out, but in this case the #2 AC does not work. This is all when there is no other loads on the system.
When I turn on the GenSet, all LED's light and everything works.
Any Ideas?
mrb604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Load shedding is a function of some relays.. Relays sometimes get "Welded" into one or the other position...

And of course, even solid state electronics can, and do, fail from time to time.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quick update on my situation and I don't know if this will work for Vet Man but since my MH is still under warranty. The dealer diagnosed my problems as a bad PC board and replaced it. Now the EMS is working correctly.
mrb604 is offline   Reply With Quote