Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AATim View Post
Not totally sure if I agree...at least for a sailboat. We spent last winter cruising from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas and back (lot of time motoring on the Intracoastal Waterway [ICW]) for right at $100/day. Haven't been doing this RV-thing very long, but at 7.5 mpg vs. 1 gph I got to believe that he RV is going to cost at least as much as the boat. We'll see.... I've confirmed that RV "cruising" is a lot like sailing...fixing things in exotic locations!
As a fellow cruiser...I would note that you get about 6 nautical miles...let's call it 7 statute miles of travel for that gallon...which ain't too different than what the big RV's costs per mile and is actually more than many will....The big difference is in the days it take you to get from mile 1 to mile 1000!!
Speed opens up many more possibilities...but ya still can't drive to the Exumas!!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I don't know if he has one in this case but there are a number of inverter/chargers on the market that provide both an inverter function and a charging/DC supply function.
Thanks Clay L, I did not know that. MY signature coach has one of each, but they are located in different compartments. Ed
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
When my isolation relay failed, I replaced it with this:

Amazon.com: Blue Sea 7701 ML-Series Remote Battery Switch 12VDC: Sports & Outdoors

It senses charging on either side and links the two whenever one side is charging. It eliminated the need for the trickle charger and gave me more control over the process. I have read that it's a lot more reliable than the OEM relay that Winnie uses, which is prone to failure. It took me about an hour to replace the original.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #44

This post Information has been on IRV2 . a lot.. WE have a diesel Pusher 40 foot. I purchesed a real good battery charger and mounted in the Battery compartment. Plugged it in Installed a switch so i can turn it off/on; It is happy there I turn it on when I need battery charging. (when pluged/or gen running) . You have no idea how meny times i have taken it out and Loaned it to the person that swears All his batterys get charged when pluged in... That charger will save you a lot of worries and headaches .. But then Who an I ?? only a Happy camper;; Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
It took me about an hour to replace the original.
Michael: What's up with the strike thru items in your signature???
Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Michael: What's up with the strike thru items in your signature???
I got a new motor home. It doesn't have basement air, but it has 3 roof airs, so I thought that was redundant. It doesn't have the MCUs. So far, I don't think it needs them. The Meridian used to bounce like crazy going over a curb. The new one not so much. I'll probably revise my sig again before long.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I got a new motor home. It doesn't have basement air, but it has 3 roof airs, so I thought that was redundant. It doesn't have the MCUs. So far, I don't think it needs them. The Meridian used to bounce like crazy going over a curb. The new one not so much. I'll probably revise my sig again before long.
CONGRATS on the new coach! I asked because I just added a roof-top AC to mine and wondered if you had removed one. THANKS.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I purchesed a real good battery charger and mounted in the Battery compartment. .
I have done a lot of work with batteries over the years. I have read in the operators manual of different chargers NOT to operate them in a closed area in close proximity of the batteries. Hydrogen gas is vented from them. If the charger produces a spark for some reason this could cause a pretty big bang in your battery compartment. And the atmosphere is corrosive, putting the charger at risk.

If you notice, your inverter is never located near the batteries. This is the reason. The idea of an external charger is not a bad idea, especially for coaches equipped with BIRD relays that all too often fail. Just isolate it from your batteries for safety.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
What did you get? We just moved into our new to us coach in late May. The old one had basement air. This one has 3 on the roof. They work great and drop compressors when not needed. This is in two zones with the bedroom being on one unit. Our only complaint is the noise and the force of the air can be a bit much. But so far they are keeping us comfortable.

Forgive me for not understanding. What are MCUs?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have to say, I've found over the years that owning a motorhome is a whole lot cheaper than owning a boat...! (of comparable size anyhow)
Isn't that the truth!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
What did you get? We just moved into our new to us coach in late May. The old one had basement air. This one has 3 on the roof. They work great and drop compressors when not needed. This is in two zones with the bedroom being on one unit. Our only complaint is the noise and the force of the air can be a bit much. But so far they are keeping us comfortable.

We got a 2010 Tour 42AD. The roof units seem to be a bit noisier than the basement unit, but I am finding some advantages, too. It seems the living room units cycle more than the bedroom, when they are both set to the same temperature. Since all 3 units' ducts are connected, we still get heat/cool in the bedroom. In the Meridian, my side of the bed was the one that had the basement AC in it. From my point of view, it's actually quieter when the living room roof ACs are running.

I have this thing with HVAC designers. It seems all of them want the bedroom to get the full benefit of compressor noise. This isn't only true with Winnebago. I have had 3 homes with central AC. Every stinking one of them had at least one outside unit located directly outside the master bedroom window. I guess people sleep better when they can hear the cost of the electricity?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #52
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We got a 2010 Tour 42AD. The roof units seem to be a bit noisier than the basement unit, but I am finding some advantages, too. It seems the living room units cycle more than the bedroom, when they are both set to the same temperature. Since all 3 units' ducts are connected, we still get heat/cool in the bedroom. In the Meridian, my side of the bed was the one that had the basement AC in it. From my point of view, it's actually quieter when the living room roof ACs are running.

I have this thing with HVAC designers. It seems all of them want the bedroom to get the full benefit of compressor noise. This isn't only true with Winnebago. I have had 3 homes with central AC. Every stinking one of them had at least one outside unit located directly outside the master bedroom window. I guess people sleep better when they can hear the cost of the electricity?
That is a nice coach. First, check with PPL about newer fans for the AC units that may be quieter. Also, pull the covers off the units and check the tape on the insulation. It is common for it to fail. Sherds of foil will come out your vents. A mess to clean.

"I have this thing with HVAC designers." OH boy! Are we on the same page here!

Do there folks ever live under the product they force upon the RVers? Colman has always had some quarks with their products. The thermostat in my basement air '05 Vectra was so unreliable. I changed it thinking it was defective just to discover it was designed to be misleading. But on these overhead units a new problem is hitting me in the face and ears. The air flow is so strong it blows my hair around if the vent is pointed at me where I am sitting. But the good news is that the thermostat seems to be more accurate as long as a vent is not pointed at the sensor. But don't try to have conversation or listen to music or tv when it is running. The noise is a bit much and I have the updated fans in my units!

I don't know if your tag has been adjusted for your loading yet. I have talked with folks with steering problems (even ones who didn't know they had problems) and the tag was not loading correctly. Everyone raves about Gaffney, just as they do about Forest City. My advice is to take a trip to each. We are going to Gaffney Monday, and will not have any serious issue addressed by anyone else but Forest City. We hope to get to the GNR one of these years.

Happy trails in your new home,

Rick
Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #53
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post

I believe he's talking about Motion Control Units which are devices put in line on each bag for the air suspension on a DP. They slow the flow of air into and out of the bag resulting in less side to side rocking when doing something like entering or exiting a driveway.

I have them on my coach and like them.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
Winnie-Wise

The one complaint I have about my Meridian is that the AC makes too much noise, both in cooling mode and in the heat pump mode. On a cool morning, I have even gone to the gas furnace but guess what...it's located in the bedroom also. I now carry a small electric heater that I plug in and it keeps the coach warm while the wife is sleeping.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #55
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
The one complaint I have about my Meridian is that the AC makes too much noise, both in cooling mode and in the heat pump mode. On a cool morning, I have even gone to the gas furnace but guess what...it's located in the bedroom also. I now carry a small electric heater that I plug in and it keeps the coach warm while the wife is sleeping.
Are your units Coleman? I was told that they have redesigned the fan to be more quiet. I wonder if a retrofit is available for your units? Our coach has the new fans and they are still noisy, but not as bad as the earlier ones. But the noise is still distracting, especially on high.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #56
Winnie-Wise

My apologies to the OP. I'm sorry my simple question about lines in a signature has apparently caused this thread to morph from battery issues to A/C issues. Hopefully it will get back on topic soon.

Tags
batteries, chassis, electrical, house batteries